Pro Football Focus: Rams add to a strength with Fairley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Rams: Add to a strength with Fairley
Michael Mountford | March 17, 2015

Considering the production the Rams enjoyed from defensive tackle Aaron Donald in his rookie season, as well as the pass rushing threat posed by defensive end Robert Quinn, defensive line might not have seemed an immediate concern in St. Louis. However DT Michael Brockers, a former first round selection, hasn’t developed beyond average after three seasons in the league, and depth in the middle was a worry after the departure of Kendall Langford. The addition of Nick Fairley addresses any such concerns and could help give the Rams one of the most imposing defensive lines in the league.

Fairley has been frustratingly inconsistent for much of his young career, however, when at his best he can take over a game. After three seasons in the league Fairley had a cumulative +3.2 grade in run defense and+29.1 grade as a pass rusher, good marks that could have been so much better had Fairley not also had 10 games of -1.0 or worse in that same period.

Through the first eight weeks of the 2014 season (prior to suffering a season-ending injury), Fairley had begun to complement his impressive pass rushing skills with an improved stoutness against the run. At the time of his injury Fairley had a +5.7 run defense grade; he also had 22 total pressures, tied for fourth-most among tackles, and was third-best with a 10.0 Pass Rushing Productivity (PRP) score. Fairley’s career-low PRP score (6.4) came back in 2010, his rookie season. That compares favorably to Michael Brockers career-high PRP of 4.7. Michael Brockers should feature in the rotation on early downs, before giving way so that Donald and Fairley can be unleashed from the inside to wreak havoc on passing downs.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I thought PFF did the kind of analysis that would recognise the value that Brockers adds rather than dismissing him as average.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought PFF did the kind of analysis that would recognise the value that Brockers adds rather than dismissing him as average.
I assume it's just because he's not a great pass rusher, and that brings him down in their eyes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
without tackles & pressures, they have no way of rating taking on double teams...allowing the LB's free access to roam...I don't even think they value batted passes for DT's...may go under passes defensed...I love Brockers...Hell, I liked Langford...That guy Smith that the 9ers just lost, was good for 5-6 sacks for Aldon & Brooks all by himself...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - Brockers game doesn't translate to bogus stat nerd analysis. PFF strikes me as a service in search of a need. They came up with their own brand of analyzing a game. Yawn. I find most of their evaluations less than useless.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah - Brockers game doesn't translate to bogus stat nerd analysis. PFF strikes me as a service in search of a need. They came up with their own brand of analyzing a game. Yawn. I find most of their evaluations less than useless.

Agreed. Not a fan of PFF grades. Their stats are wonderful but they can't grade well at all. It's worth posting though, might as well listen to what they have to say.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agreed. Not a fan of PFF grades. Their stats are wonderful but they can't grade well at all. It's worth posting though, might as well listen to what they have to say.
Yeah - I agree. I always end up reading the stuff. I just think their evaluations generally really miss the mark. I think they try to get too into their formulas and forget that it is a game of humans.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Brockers saw his playing time drop from 74% of snaps in 2013 to 59% in 2014. There wasn't any health issues I'm aware of.

It seemed like he was surrendering playing time to Eugene Sims in the middle-he's not a good pass rusher either. I'm curious as to why that was.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just ask Rob, Chris, William, Eugene & Aaron who makes this DL work....bet you would get all five to say its Michael. Brockers does the heavy lifting!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Brockers saw his playing time drop from 74% of snaps in 2013 to 59% in 2014. There wasn't any health issues I'm aware of.

It seemed like he was surrendering playing time to Eugene Sims in the middle-he's not a good pass rusher either. I'm curious as to why that was.

Didn't the Rams also use more 3 DLine sets last year, too? Something that will probably continue with the addition of Ayers, IMO.