Pro Football Focus midseason highlights: Rams Special Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pro Football Focus midseason highlights: Rams Special Teams

The Rams' bye week comes at an optimal time, exactly halfway through the 2019 season. In the third of a three-part series this week, theRams.com takes a look at Pro Football Focus' top evaluations of Los Angeles' special teams through the first eight games.

Best grade: 71.8 at Atlanta.

It's probably not too surprising to learn that Week 7 against the Falcons marked the best performance by the Rams' special teams this season.

Between field goals, the forced fumble on a punt return which was recovered in the endzone for a touchdown and what Johnny Hekker's fake punt led to, special teams accounted for 16 of the Rams' 37 points in that contest. LB Troy Reeder, who caused the fumble, received a special teams grade of 93.1 for his efforts.

Kicker Greg Zuerlein, who made three of four field goal attempts, also saw none of six of his kickoffs returned as they went into or out of the endzone for touchbacks.

Top-graded individual performances

Zuerlein: vs. Tampa Bay, 82.4 field goal grade. He made both of his field goal attempts, including a long of 58, as well as all four of his extra point attempts.

Punter Johnny Hekker: vs. San Francisco, 68.5 punting grade. He averaged a season-high 53.8 yards per attempt on five attempts. The number of attempts also tied most in a single game for Hekker this season.

Punt and kick returner JoJo Natson: vs. San Francisco, 63.3 overall return grade. Natson saw a season-high four opportunities to return punts and kickoffs combined. His 24.7 yards per return off three kickoffs still stands as his best average in a game this season.

Reeder, one of three undrafted free agents to make the initial 53-man roster, has been the top-performing special teams player according to PFF with a grade of 78.3. Seventh-round pick Nick Scott has recorded the most snaps on special teams with 180 through eight games.

Scott, Reeder and LB Travin Howard lead the unit in tackles with three each.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Is it me or has Hekker not been his usual self this season ? Chunked more than a few punts. Not had a booming flip the field punt once.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
He's tied for longest punt of the year, 71yds. He's ranked 14 for avg, 46.2 . Not spectacular, kinda a mediocre punting year, but with Johnny we all know his other capabilities! I'll take him over any other punter in the league for his overall skill set.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
He's tied for longest punt of the year, 71yds. He's ranked 14 for avg, 46.2 . Not spectacular, kinda a mediocre punting year, but with Johnny we all know his other capabilities! I'll take him over any other punter in the league for his overall skill set.
Sometimes punt average, and rankings are deceptive. I see some rank based on total yards, which is ridiculous, because the punters on the crappiest offenses tend to be ranked highest. Also, average can be deceptive, if your punter in pooching a lot of kicks from mid field, because your offense is good, his 38-yard punt, pinning the enemy at their 12 yard-line, is a great punt. Yet on the stats it is not at all.

I think I heard that Hekker is one of only 4 guys to have over 20 punts and not one touchback. He is just as clutch as ever.

usatsi_10465979.jpg

"How do like me know?"
-J. Hekk

jap

Legend
With Johnny, you need to check how many punts he has delivered inside the opponent's 20-yard line for a better view of his effectiveness.

Ram65

Legend
Is it me or has Hekker not been his usual self this season ? Chunked more than a few punts. Not had a booming flip the field punt once.

I think it started last year. He was hitting kicks just inside the 20
yard line but, not inside the 10 like in years past. Then the shanks. He wasn't booming as many field changing kicks with poor kicks at critical times. He is still good but, let's see how he does the rest of the year.

…..

Legend
it’s you.

Nah, he’s right. Been alittle off and it’s ok for people to notice. Not that it’s worrisome at all....maybe Hekk needs to refocus. Maybe he got some good snatch lately. Whatever it is, I’m sure it’ll be fine but let’s not pretend it isn’t a thing for now.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Nah, he’s right. Been alittle off and it’s ok for people to notice. Not that it’s worrisome at all....maybe Hekk needs to refocus. Maybe he got some good snatch lately. Whatever it is, I’m sure it’ll be fine but let’s not pretend it isn’t a thing for now.

No need to pretend - it isn’t a thing.

The fact that it’s even a discussion is ludicrous. We as fans watched absolute dogshit for ten years, and now we’re nitpicking the best punter in the NFL?

What the fuck? Seriously, what the fuck. Just sad, and ridiculous.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The fact that it’s even a discussion is ludicrous. We as fans watched absolute dogshit for ten years, and now we’re nitpicking the best punter in the NFL?

I disagree. He's had more mistakes than last year. Maybe we are spoiled but Hekker set the bar. Is it time to move on? Of course not, but is it okay to see things clearly? Yes.

…..

Legend

Actually he wasn’t nitpicking and I was defending him because you are overly sensitive.

are you so defensive over someone wondering if the kicker may be a little “off” this year that you’d be willing to make a scene ? Really?

get over it man. Kickers aren’t people anyway. You’re harshin my buzz, don’t be such a snowflake, Frosty

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I disagree. He's had more mistakes than last year. Maybe we are spoiled but Hekker set the bar. Is it time to move on? Of course not, but is it okay to see things clearly? Yes.
I think Hekk developed the great rep. on those horrible Fisher teams when he may have even been offensive mvp one year.

However, since McVay and Goff’s arrival he hasn’t been called on to bail us out as much. It’s just that simple.

Again I repeat- Zero touchbacks.
AND, someone said, longest NFL punt this year, to date? Plus the best threat in the NFL for fakes.

Do you know why there are so few fake punts in the NFL?

Cuz’ most punters suck at throwing the ball. Not my man, John Hek.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Actually he wasn’t nitpicking and I was defending him because you are overly sensitive.

are you so defensive over someone wondering if the kicker may be a little “off” this year that you’d be willing to make a scene ? Really?

get over it man. Kickers aren’t people anyway. You’re harshin my buzz, don’t be such a snowflake, Frosty

If you think I was being sensitive, maybe you should go back to your safe place buzzy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Hekk developed the great rep. on those horrible Fisher teams when he may have even been offensive mvp one year.

However, since McVay and Goff’s arrival he hasn’t been called on to bail us out as much. It’s just that simple.

Again I repeat- Zero touchbacks.
AND, someone said, longest NFL punt this year, to date? Plus the best threat in the NFL for fakes.

Do you know why there are so few fake punts in the NFL?

Cuz’ most punters suck at throwing the ball. Not my man, John Hek.

I get all of that. Nobody is saying he sucks or can’t throw the ball. But he seems to have a few more shanks than prior years. That’s all.

…..

Legend
If you think I was being sensitive, maybe you should go back to your safe place buzzy.
If you love Johnny like I love Johnny, then you would know he’d rather hear the truth.

The world is full of yes men. It’s much more thought provoking to look past the guacamole and see the avocado

But whatevs....Guacamole for everyone!.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
it’s you.
Wrong, he is having a off year so far. I know what I am watching. Too many 35 yard punts this year. And NOT when he is trying to pin a team inside their 20. He has had some shanks.
But I would not want any other punter or kicker.