Pro Day: RB Andre Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Pro Day: You’d Better Be Better
His combine performance needed improving on, so when scouts showed up on his home turf, Boston College running back Andre Williams made the most of his moment
By
Jenny Vrentas

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Like many days last fall, Andre Williams was the most popular man at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

About two dozen NFL scouts were at the Boston College Pro Day, taking turns sidling up to the Heisman finalist during breaks in the two-hour workout. But Williams didn’t act like a big man on campus, or like a player back at his literal old stomping grounds—i.e. the turf where he pounded his feet for many of his 2,177 rushing yards last fall.

Williams had a few questions—concerns, even—showing an earnestness that seemed to delight one scout from an NFC team. What does it mean, he asked the scout, that he doesn’t have any private workouts set up yet for the coming weeks? Or, that most teams sent area scouts to his Pro Day, instead of, say, a running backs coach?

“That’s a good thing,” the scout reassured him.

Like all rookies-to-be, this process is new to the 21-year-old running back, whose path to the 2014 NFL draft we’re chronicling in a series on The MMQB. The scout explained to Williams that between a large and impressive body of work during his senior season, and a clean record off the field, he’s an easy evaluation for NFL teams.

But as he did each of the 355 times he carried the ball for Boston College last year, Williams is always looking to make extra gains. His goals on his pro day 1) run the 40-yard dash faster than he did at last month’s combine and 2) catch the ball better, too.

This audition would be different from the pressure cooker of Indianapolis, where players are herded like cattle and branded with a number (though Williams did wear his combine-issued “RB35” warm-ups to his pro day). He would have a cheering section—the BC coaching staff—and he caught balls from his college quarterback, Chase Rettig. Perhaps for one of the last times, he felt like BC running back Andre Williams.

Williams flew into Boston last Saturday night, and on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, he and Rettig worked on their timing in Alumni Stadium. A few of their teammates joined them, too. One, Colin Larmond, a receiver who last played in 2012, took time off from his job in New Jersey to participate in the pro day. After Williams greeted Larmond, he thought about his own stock after that season, when the team finished 2-10 and he rushed for just 599 yards—a little more than one-quarter of his 2013 total. “He’s a great player—I think he just needs another chance,” Williams said regarding Larmond. “If I would have graduated junior year, I might have been in the same predicament.”

Williams caught 18 passes from Rettig on Tuesday morning in a final rehearsal, practicing each of the routes he’d be expected to perform in front of the scouts the next day: flat, swing, angle, out, in-breaking, wheel and corner. He dropped only one. “Do another one!” Rettig called out, and Williams snatched it easily.

Catching passes feels different to Williams now, and not by accident. After the combine, where he dropped two of his eight passes and resorted to body-catching a few others, he knew needed some help. Williams’ legs were the lifeblood of coach Steve Addazio’s power-running scheme last season, but his gaudy stat line did not include a single reception. “You’ve got to be proactive,” Williams said. “My body is a business at this point.”

Former Notre Dame receiver Bobby Brown, whom Williams met at the Walter Camp Player of the Year awards ceremony, knew who could help: Bill Thierfelder, sports psychologist and president of Belmont Abbey College in North Carolina. The weekend after the combine, Williams made the three-and-a-half hour drive from Atlanta, where he’s training and living with his older brother.

In a pair of two-hour sessions, Thierfelder coached Williams to “meet the ball with energy.” He practiced by catching racquetballs, since a smaller ball requires greater focus. He started juggling, too, a suggestion also made to him by an NFL running backs coach who called him after the combine. Williams is making the lessons learned from Thierfelder part of his BC legacy, too.

“I’m going to call you, and we need to talk about this,” Williams told freshman running back Myles Willis, when the former teammates ran into each other on campus Tuesday. “Really. It’s about actually seeing things, not just looking at them.”

andre-williams-catch.jpg

Williams only had 10 receptions in four years at Boston College—none his senior season—so catching has been a major point of emphasis in the walkup to the draft. (Winslow Townson for Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)

Williams, who earned his applied psychology and human development degree in December, has a refreshing perspective among his NFL-bound peers. Last fall he completed an independent study with Audrey Friedman, an assistant dean in the Lynch School of Education, examining the development of high school students through how they present conflict in their personal writing.

When Williams roamed campus Tuesday afternoon, he stopped in Friedman’s first-floor office, and she yelped happily when he opened her door. She wrote down a book suggestion from him (“Many Mansions,” the story of psychic Edgar Cayce), and asked about the psychological tests and interviews he took at the combine.

“I would argue that would be your strongest part,” she told him. “Not that you’re not a great athlete, because you are, but you have a soul. That’s a good thing.”

Williams smiled shyly. “And how are you doing?” he asked.

Of course, at Wednesday’s pro day, athletics were front and center. Williams did not repeat the shuttle runs and broad jump, because he had been a top performer in those events at the combine. He wore his warm-ups until it was time to run the 40-yard dash.

andre-williams-360.jpg

Williams was able to improve his 40 time at the BC pro day. (Winslow Townson for Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)

Most scouts clocked Williams in the low 4.5s on his first run—about the same as, or slightly better, than his combine run of 4.56 seconds. But he’d popped up too quickly out of his start and was eager for the second try. The scouts’ times varied on this attempt, but some scouts said they clocked him as fast as the low 4.4s, a strong time for a 230-pound power back. After a third bonus run, Williams said the scouts he talked to congratulated him on improving from the combine.

He changed into different cleats, and receivers’ gloves so new they squeaked, for position drills. Rettig threw to him eight times; Williams dropped one pass, a flat route, but made the same catch on a second try. The act of catching came more naturally than two weeks earlier, showcased on a 40-yard corner route, on which he stuck the ball cleanly on his hands. “Better,” one scout said afterward. Said another scout, “He did well catching. That’s not going to hinder anything.”

In the BC cheering section, the loudest voice was tight ends coach Frank Leonard, who let out a thunderous “Woooo!” when Williams made the catch on the deep corner route. Leonard, a former Patriots scout and Rams position coach, sounded like a proud uncle as he sent Williams off toward the NFL world he knows well.

“You go hard, man,” Leonard said. “You’ll enjoy it. You’ll have a lot of fun in this league. Love you.”

“Love you back,” said Williams.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I like Williams. I feel like we need to get another guy that can SHARE the load with Stacy, as I'm not confident that he can last a whole season shouldering the load himself.

"He started juggling, too, a suggestion also made to him by an NFL running backs coach who called him after the combine." I really like this. Dude is trying anything to improve his hand-eye.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I like Williams. I feel like we need to get another guy that can SHARE the load with Stacy, as I'm not confident that he can last a whole season shouldering the load himself.

"He started juggling, too, a suggestion also made to him by an NFL running backs coach who called him after the combine." I really like this. Dude is trying anything to improve his hand-eye.

I can't see an RB in the first 5 rounds unless it's an amazing steal. Stacy/Cunningham will have to do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
andre-williams-storyimage960.jpg

Damian Strohmeyer/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB
The Man With a Plan
While most rookies-to-be are fretting over the NFL draft and how much they’ll make next fall, Andre Williams is already taking a longer view into the future
By Jenny Vrentas

Five weeks until the NFL draft means there’s a lot of time to speculate about what may happen. But that’s not the case for Andre Williams.

Most of his free time is spent in an office at his older brother’s home outside Atlanta—at least one or two hours a day, and even more on weekends. He’s writing a book on the desktop computer, and has organized a filing cabinet with folders in primary colors: NFL Contracts (empty for now), Trading Card Deals, Endorsements, and so forth.

“I’m not necessarily using it as a distraction, but I feel like this is what everybody should be thinking about,” Williams says. “They shouldn’t be worrying about where they are going to go [in the draft], or who is interested … you’ve kind of just got to be about your business, so that’s what I’m trying to do. Take care of my body, and be about my business.”

The former Boston College running back and Heisman finalist, whose journey to the NFL draft has been chronicled by The MMQB, has always been a forward-thinker. He finished his bachelor’s degree in three-and-a-half years. On the precipice of plunging into the unfamiliar world of professional football, he seems to have already mastered the hardest lesson: that an NFL career is a business on and off the field.

Last week, for instance, Williams worked out a budget sheet. He doesn’t know what he’ll earn in his first NFL contract—that will be dictated by the slot he’s drafted in, according to the rookie wage scale—but he wanted to practice budgeting monthly expenses. He factored in the trading card deals he’s already signed, and the endorsement offers he’s received. He’s acutely aware of the fact that running backs, especially of the big, bruising kind, often have a shorter careers than many other positions.

Williams’ body is the most important part of his business. He’s at the Georgia training center run by Chip Smith every weekday morning. Three days a week, he does position work with former NFL running back Garrison Hearst, who punctuates drills with tales from his 10 professional seasons. In the afternoons, Williams does speed and agility sessions, or he lifts weights, and he’s still rehabbing the shoulder he banged up in BC’s bowl game. In the evenings, he goes to either a 75-minute pilates or yoga session; on Sundays, he’s started a new tradition of a more-than-six-mile hike up Kennesaw Mountain with his sister-in-law. Beyond his schedule, he literally juggles every day to make his hands better suited for catching.

Phone calls from NFL teams trickle in, and one expressed interest in having him visit at the end of the month, but the benefit of having carried the ball 355 times for 2,177 yards as a senior is that many clubs have already seen what they need to see. Williams was told this would be the calm before the storm, so to speak, but he’s using the time to plan for the future in ways not often seen from a 21-year-old.

“I’m a little bit of an entrepreneur,” Williams says, “so I’ve got a couple things going.”

The book he’s been writing since his senior year of college, A King, a Queen and a Conscience—a philosophical memoir, he calls it—now has three of its eight sections completed. He was stuck on one section, about his parents’ immigration from Jamaica, so he quizzed his dad for details during a recent visit home to Schnecksville, Pa. Williams will sit at the black desk for hours at a time churning out thousands of words.

andre-williams-atlanta-office.jpg

He’s also been drawing up business plans. The four Williams siblings are each four years apart, and Andre’s closest relationship is with the brother eight years his senior. Ervin Jr.’s home is Andre’s official address in NFL teams’ black books. He is a barber, and Ervin’s wife, Shekayla, has her own business doing hair and eyelashes. Williams plans to be an investor for them, to help them open up their own shop together. “Bro gives the freshest of cuts,” Williams says with a grin. “He’s an artist. The biggest lesson I think my older brother taught me is the genius in artistry.”

Williams’ business moniker is “Kosher,” something he’s had since middle school, when he and his two best friends, Freddy and Dorsey, brainstormed nicknames. “I wanted it to mean good for consumption, genuine,” Williams says. Another part of his plan is true to that title. Williams just finished writing mission statements for two non-profits he hopes to start: The Kosher Kids Club, an after-school program for kids ages 6 to 12, and The Kosher Lifestyle Group, a mentor program for kids ages 13 to 19, to help them pursue their goals in sports and higher education.

He reads out loud: “The Kosher Lifestyle Group wishes to enable these children in both these fields by providing facilities, equipment, sports trainers, college athletes, mentors, tutors and programs that prepare you for the rigors of life as a student-athlete.”

His mom, Lancelene, is thinking about taking in foster kids, and that got Williams thinking. He’d like to start by creating a trust, to benefit single parents or parents who are adopting or taking in foster kids, and build his non-profit from that base. Williams moved around a lot as a kid—Poughkeepsie to Jamaica to New Jersey to Georgia to Schnecksville—and he saw how his own opportunities changed when his dad’s HVAC business started to take off and bring in good money for the family.

“I want to start something,” he says, “where I can help kids out in underprivileged situations; where the school or the neighborhood doesn’t have the social capital or the resources to give the kids that live over here the same opportunity as the kids that live over there where everything is shiny and green.”

Like his NFL career, these are still dreams, but ones he’s preparing and planning to make happen. He has another project in the works—an invention—but he’s keeping that under wraps for now, as any smart entrepreneur would while waiting to file a patent.

“That’s what real life is about,” Williams says. “It’s not about living day to day. You are supposed to be using your free time to build something bigger. I feel like I’m a big-picture kind of guy, and this is the moment in my life that I’m getting to do something special, so I don’t want to waste it. I want to make the most out of it.”

Five weeks until the draft, but this rookie-to-be already has the seasoning of an old pro.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
andre-williams-storyimage9601.jpg

John Korduner/Icon SMI

The Scare of His Life . . . and the Scar to Prove It
Andre Williams has been running wild ever since he can remember. Not even a horrific hit-and-run car accident when he was a toddler could keep him down for long. In his own words, the Boston College tailback recalls that fateful collision
By Jenny Vrentas

Since late February, The MMQB has been chronicling the draft journey of Boston College running back Andre Williams, whom we first introduced at the combine as RB 35. Along the way, we’ve covered his pro day in Chestnut Hill, gone back home with him to “a real chill, rural place” called Schnecksville, Pa.—where Williams keeps his Doak Walker trophy on a nightstand in his childhood bedroom—and gotten to know him as a businessman who already is planning for life after football.

Far from your typical NFL prospect, Williams has been writing a book—a philosophical memoir, he calls it—titled A King, a Queen and a Conscience. He started putting his thoughts on paper the summer after his sophomore year of college, long before an NFL future was certain, to explore how his own life experiences have shaped his worldview. During a pre-draft visit to one NFL team’s headquarters last week, an offensive coach delighted in this off-field pursuit, telling Williams that it would no doubt set him apart in the running backs room.

Below, we’ve excerpted a chapter that tells the true story about one of the hardest hits this punishing tailback has ever taken.

“Car Accident”
By Andre Williams

My parents tell me that when I was very little, I loved to do two things. I loved to eat, and I loved to run. My mother details stories of how she would always have to make sure there was a bottle ready for me as a baby, because after waking from a nap I would cry incessantly until I was fed. As a toddler, I would open the refrigerator just to drink my fill from the milk gallon before leaving the open container on the floor where I stood, fridge ajar. As soon as I was old enough, I ran everywhere I could.

The farthest back I can remember is a memory at 2 years old. It was a time shortly before the accident. It’s daytime, and I am outside walking down a neatly paved walkway leading from the front door to the sidewalk beyond a fenced yard. I make it to the sidewalk, turn right and take off, tearing down the runway. I am picking up speed fast, but before I get six or seven steps my dad grabs my left arm firmly, and I am stopped in my tracks. We are out in front of the house on Randolph Road.

My love of running would cause great tragedy and hardship in my life before anything else. However, that tragedy would serve as the first discipline of God’s great love that he would express to me in my lifetime. My mother would say to us when we were younger, “Everything Satan intends for evil, God turns around for good.” I guess you can say that it was my love for running that Satan would eventually use to threaten my life and inflict intense emotional distress on my family. Through it all, I continue to count my blessings as I can clearly see that it is my God-given ability to run that has brought exceedingly great blessings into my life—and to my family.

The next memory I have, my arms and legs are strapped down. I can’t lift my head up, but for some reason I really don’t want to. I am very tired and there is a dull pain in my head. I am on a sidewalk lying on a stretcher. Across the street there is a school, and I am watching a red helicopter land on its athletic field. I fade back out.

We were living in Plainfield, N.J., and my mother had decided to take my older brother Danique and me with her to go food shopping. As Danique tells it, I was only playing a game, jerking out of his grip and running up ahead of him to hide behind things—fire hydrants, telephone poles, parked cars. He was only 10, and even though he told me to stop repeatedly and continued to grip my hand, the only thing that was going to stop me from running that day was the car.

The last time I jerked away, I ran up ahead of Danique and mom and then dipped to the right, between two cars and into the street. There was a loud sound next, like two heavy objects meeting each other violently, and then the sound of a woman screaming. No one can recall if it was my mother. It was a hit-and-run. Witnesses pounded on the suspect’s car windows as he attempted his getaway. My body had been thrown into the air by the impact with the car, and I rolled without life under a parked vehicle.

Mom says that it was a man, alerted by her intense distress and consequently blessed with her maternal crisis instinct strength response, who lifted the car so someone could pull me out from under it. Somewhere between the impact and the landing, my forehead was gashed open and a fleshy white mass poked out of the laceration. My mother was with me in the ambulance and the emergency room as my nurse assistant, which is still her occupation to this day.

I remember entering the hospital in a caged stretcher, the pain of the tube in my urethra, and being surrounded by a lot of people in the night. The sun woke me the next day. There was butterscotch pudding on my food tray and the cartoon Chip and Dale played on the television mounted in the left corner of the room.

My mother says the doctor told her I suffered head trauma and my heart had stopped for 10 whole minutes before I was resuscitated. He told her there was a chance I might suffer permanent brain damage from the blow to my cranial region and the period of low oxygen levels in my brain—if I even woke up at all. They didn’t know I had woken up shortly after the accident to watch the helicopter land before it transported me to the hospital.

andre-williams-360-scar-car-accident.png

To everyone’s surprise, I did wake up from my accident and I was OK—perhaps better than OK. I was released from the hospital two days later, because I was already running around the place. I walked away with bruised lungs, seven itchy stitches in my forehead, and some minor cuts and bruises. The nurses said I was a miracle baby. My family soon started to notice another peculiar thing about me after that car accident. Everyone says I started using big words. My sister Krystal describes me at that age as “a little old man.” The only artifacts I have from the accident are a thin scar several inches in length directly below my hairline, and a child-sized neck brace.

My human development degree reminds me that the part of the brain located there is called the prefrontal cortex. The prefrontal cortex, or PFC, is responsible for the planning and execution of complex cognitive behavior, which may include, but is not limited to, decision-making, expression of personality and moderation of social behavior. The PFC also coordinates thoughts and actions in accordance with internal goals. Perhaps the accident somehow kick-started, rather than retarded, the development of this brain region; however, this is only a theory, and playing in traffic is certainly not a proven method for giving your children an edge over their peers.

At the end of it all, a court case led to a sum of money being placed away for me that I couldn’t touch until I was 18. My older brother took the brunt of the blame for the accident, and he says to this day that my father never truly forgave him for letting it happen. I never blamed my brother for the accident, and although it must have been very traumatic for everyone affected by it, I don’t have any recollection of the accident actually occurring. And it certainly didn’t slow me down. I’ve been running stronger ever since.

Maybe I needed to meet the car. Perhaps my first genuine football experience occurred that day on the tarmac, rather than on the gridiron. It might have been the car that piqued my hunger for high-impact collisions.