Prisco: Michael Sam just isn't good enough to play in NFL Next Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Musings: Michael Sam just isn't good enough to play in NFL next season
March 22, 2015 7:56 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...t-isnt-good-enough-to-play-in-nfl-next-season

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Michael Sam, the NFL's first openly gay player, has been out of the league since October.

Based on what he showed at the NFL's first Veterans Combine here at the Arizona Cardinals practice facility Sunday, it might be permanent.

Despite Sam's insistence that he wants to continue with his quest to play in the NFL, and he has to applauded for chasing his dream after being let go by two teams last year, the reality is that he simply might not be good enough.

"It was bad," one scout said of Sam's workout here.

Sam was listed at 6-foot-2, 265 pounds, but that might be stretching it in terms of his height. He looked smallish compared to the other defensive linemen who worked out here. But worse was his performance.

He was timed in 5.07 seconds in the 40-yard dash, slow for an edge rusher. That time should be closer to 4.7. At his pro day last year, Sam ran 4.79. So one year and he's that much slower?

Or is it because he's now taking part in Dancing With the Stars?

He was asked about that, but shunned off the questioner.

"Next question," said Sam, who seemed a bit snippy during his session with the media.

Sam's position drills weren't impressive either. He had no burst and looked slow at times. It's hard to believe he was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year at Missouri in 2013. Then again, it shows college stats and awards mean nothing when it comes to playing with the big boys.

Here's the reality: Sam should go to Canada and try and show what he can do, or simply move on to other pursuits.

This might be harsh, but I will be shocked if he's on an NFL roster -- ever.

And it won't have anything to do with his sexual orientation. I talked with a handful of scouts here, all of whom insisted it didn't matter.

"Nobody cares," one scout said. "It's about him as a player."

Sam said he would continue to work to get back to the league.

"As long as I still have that will, as long as I'm still healthy, and can play this game, you will continue to see me fighting to get in this league," Sam said.

It's a fight that I don't see him winning.

Borland retirement no signal of trouble with NFL

When 49ers linebacker Chris Borland retired at the age of 24 last week after only one season, it led to the knee-jerk narrative that football was in trouble.

Spend a day at an NFL-sanctioned combine, where 2,000 players applied and 105 or so got invited, and tell me that's the case.

Outside in the parking lot, a player who wasn't invited was hoping to get a chance to go inside. The security guard said he was there for two days -- with a regional combine held at the same spot the day before.

On the inside, more fortunate players chased their dreams. They paid $400 and their own expenses for that chance.

One player who did was guard Justin Wells. He was in camp with the Panthers in 2012 and 2013, but didn't make the active roster, a mangled finger ending his chances in 2013.

But he still clings to the idea that he can play, which is why he doled out the money and flew from the Baltimore area to show his stuff.

"I see this as another opportunity to try and get to the league," he said. "I would do anything to play in the league."

Anything?

"I'd give my left nut to do so," he said.

So I asked Wells and several others about Borland's decision to retire and the narrative that football is in danger as a sport.

"Look at the guys here, and look at all the guys who want to play in the league," Wells said. "That's one guy. For every one of him, there are 1,000 guys who want to play. It's a risk-reward thing. I think it's worth the risk and a lot of other guys obviously do too."

Wells was working at a Pier One Imports store riding a forklift, but will now go back and play Arena Football for the second consecutive year.

"That check might be $900 a week," Wells said. "That isn't NFL money."

Defensive tackle Da'John Harris, who has been in camp twice with Tennessee and was on the active roster for seven games in 2012, agreed with Wells that the game isn't dying.

"That's somebody's opinion, but there are still so many guys who want to play this game," Harris said. "It's in too many people's blood. Too many people have bled for this opportunity. Whenever there is a career out there and people are exhausting everything they can do, you can't say it's dying."

Harris, a former USC roommate of Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey, spent the past year working out, doing some acting as an extra in commercials and television work and also working as a bouncer.

"People get drunk and don't know how to control their alcohol," Harris said "That's where I come in."

All the while he continued to train in hopes of another chance, a dream chaser who isn't about to let it die.

"I'll keep chasing it," he said. "You can chase the dream and do other things too. But I don't have a wife or kids, so I will continue to chase it."

So will many others, which is why the idea football is dying following Borland's retirement is out of line. One look at the drive and determination here Sunday told that story.

And so did the $400 they had to pony up for a chance the poor kid in the parking lot didn't get.

More Musings

• Of the 105 participants here, scouts I talked with said as few as five or as many as 10 players could be signed to contracts. One scout said he was really disappointed with the talent. The entire process came off as an NFL-made-for-TV event. There is some talk this is a way for the league to help streamline scouting, make it more centralized. That's not a good thing. The league even solicited teams about possible invitees. The problem there is that teams should be reluctant to give out the names of guys who they like. Why share?

• The 40 times here were slow, but several scouts had quicker times on some players. Former NFL runner Felix Jones ran 4.79, but one scout I talked with had him at 4.6. Even so, that isn't fast. Michael Bush was timed at 4.91. Supposedly when he was told that time, he said something like his career was over. His workout wasn't great either.

• The biggest names here were former first-round picks Brady Quinn -- yes, who has worked with us at CBSSports.com -- defensive tackle Adam Carriker and defensive end Jamaal Anderson. They, like so many others, are clinging to the dream of again playing in the league. "I don't know why those guys are here," one scout said. "Didn't they make enough money?"

• Borland is voluntarily returning the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus, which is the right thing to do. Of course, if he hadn't the 49ers would have come after him. Why? Precedent. If he didn't give it back, or the team didn't ask for it back, it would have opened up a big problem for the league. Players could sign four-year deals, and then just quit with their bonus money. It had to go back to the 49ers.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sam makes his case at Veterans Combine
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_80a490c1-ea96-5167-b914-8456e39d6abd.html

TEMPE, ARIZ. • The fire’s still burning for Michael Sam. The former All-American defensive end from Missouri wants to play pro football, and he’s not giving up on the dream just yet.

“As long as I still have that will, as long as I’m still healthy and can play this game, you will continue to see me fighting to get in this league,” Sam said. “I’ll play for whoever wants me. If the Rams or Cowboys want me back, I will go there (on the) first flight.”

Sam made history last May when he became the first openly gay player drafted in the NFL. The Rams took him in the seventh round, No. 254 overall. But on a roster loaded at defensive end, he was released at the end of the preseason.

Shortly thereafter, Sam was signed to Dallas’ practice squad and was with the Cowboys for half the season until his release in late October.

He was among about 100 players trying to rekindle their NFL careers at the first NFL Veterans Combine, held at the Arizona Cardinals’ practice facility all day Sunday.

Sam measured at 6 feet 2, 260 pounds, and was timed at 5.02 and 5.03 unofficially in the 40-yard dash on what was a very slow track.

“He looked fine,” Rams assistant head coach Dave McGinnis said. “He looked to me like he did when he came out (of college). We recognized the football player and the accomplishment when he came out of Missouri, that’s why we picked him when we did.

“Of course, you’re very well aware of how loaded we are at the position. But again, I admire him for pursuing his dream. This is his dream. He wants to play in the league. He’s been with two teams in the league, and all it takes is just one team to give him a chance.”

Participants at the Veterens Combine were measured and timed in the Cardinals’ indoor bubble, then ran agility drills outdoors.

“I did the best I can,” Sam said following his workout. “I did just as good if not better than the other guys here. So I’m pretty confident about that. As long as I’m still healthy and I can still train, I think my chance of being on a team is quite high in my own mind.”

In terms of training, Sam has been doing double duty, because he has also been training for the “Dancing With the Stars” television show, and made his debut last week. But Sam was all about football Sunday. When asked about his involvement with the TV dancing competition, Sam politely but firmly responded, “Next question,” drawing laughter from a small group of reporters.

Sam said the experience he did get last season from his time with the Rams and the Cowboys is helping him this time around.

“I learned from the guys,” Sam said. “Learned from the vets. Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and some of the guys at the Cowboys. Those guys taught me a lot. I used that today, and hopefully when I get back on another team I can use what they taught me to better my career.”

In preparation for the Veterans Combine, he has been training in California and working on his hand placement, footwork, general fundamentals and conditioning.

“I am very confident that I will be playing football this year,” he said. “Somewhere. So I’ll leave it at that.”

And if the NFL doesn’t materialize, Sam isn’t ruling out playing in the Canadian Football League.

“If that’s the opportunity, then I will take it,” he said.

Dozens of NFL scouts were on hand Sunday evaluating the players. Head coaches Chip Kelly of Philadelphia and Jim Caldwell of Detroit were in the house. The list of general managers attending included John Dorsey (Kansas City), Ryan Grigson (Indianapolis), Reggie McKenzie (Oakland), Rick Spielman (Minnesota) and Ted Thompson (Green Bay).

The Rams’ contingent was headed by McGinnis and included director of pro personnel Ray Agnew and scout George Foster.

Out of 2,000 players who applied, only 105 were invited to the Veterans Combine. The application fee was $400 and players had to provide their own transportation.

“It’s a good and a unique idea,” McGinnis said. “Because it gives guys that still feel like they have some game left in ’em a chance to come out here. It just gives you an idea of where these guys are right now. Plus it shows a level of commitment from these guys that they still want to play.”

No one traveled farther to get here than wide receiver Takashi Kurihara from Hosei University in Japan. He ran a respectable 4.66 in the 40, again on a slow track, and some scouts had him the 4.5s.

The Chicago Bears were impressed enough that they had him run some slot receiver drills after the formal group workout had concluded.

Kurihara plays for the IBM Big Blue semipro team in Japan. When asked if he was the Jerry Rice of Japan, he quipped: “Terrell Owens. Jerry Rice is too old.”

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Michael Sam looked great in college and on the Rams for one simple reason his supporting cast on dline.

You take that away ala Dallas Cowboys and Sam looks pedestrian at best. I am still of the philosophy that if he hadn't come out the closet he wouldn't have been drafted

FRO

Legend
Go to Canada, prove you can play and opportunities will come. I agree it has nothing to do with him being gay. He is undersized and not really athletic.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Prisco's piece is depressing. I get the feeling he doesn't care for the veteran combine. Thomas's article was much more upbeat. Not all the guys at the veteran combine will get jobs but some of them may get an opportunity in a training camp.

I can't feel bad for Michael Sam because he's definitely landed on his feet. I think he'll be alright. His representation seems to be doing a good job of promoting him. He's apparently on Dancing with the Stars.

Kurihara plays for the IBM Big Blue semipro team in Japan. When asked if he was the Jerry Rice of Japan, he quipped: “Terrell Owens. Jerry Rice is too old.”
This quote made me smile.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He has other options. Might as well pursue them. Plenty of good college players never made it in the NFL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I raced a kid at pop warner practice, and think I ran a 5.0 in the 40...I was 37...the kid was 12...maybe 11

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, but these guys run it in seconds, not minutes...

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Michael Sam looked great in college and on the Rams for one simple reason his supporting cast on dline.

You take that away ala Dallas Cowboys and Sam looks pedestrian at best. I am still of the philosophy that if he hadn't come out the closet he wouldn't have been drafted
That's crazy talk. If not for Westbrooks and his supposed ability to play inside and out (which doesn't mean Jack if you can't do either really well) he's a Ram last year hands down.
I don't think he's the greatest player in the world, but if he hadn't come out I think he's probably drafted a lot higher and still on an active roster based on collegiate accolades alone. He also got in the preseason games and made his mark so he has shown he can hang in the Nfl

Greg Stone

Rookie
His sprint time says that Sam has moved on, regardless of what he says. I agree with Ky Ram to an extent. Sam showed enough in the preseason last year to induce a DE needy team to sign him, which Dallas did, and I think he could have played in the NFL if not for the sideshow that most teams wanted no part of.