Preview: Packers at 49'ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So... who you like in this one?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... vs-packers

1. Full circle. The 49ers opened their regular season with a 30-22 victory over the Packers at Lambeau Field. They jumped to leads of 10-0 and 23-7 before the Packers made the game close with Randall Cobb's disputed 75-yard punt return for a touchdown. Alex Smith completed 20 of 26 passes for 211 yards with two touchdowns, no turnovers, a 125.6 NFL passer rating and an 83.5 Total QBR score. Smith completed 15 of 16 passes when targeting wide receivers. That's a high bar to clear for Smith's replacement, Colin Kaepernick.

2. The Kaepernick dynamic. The Packers faced option plays and zone-read plays only twice during the regular season, the lowest figure in the NFL. They allowed minus-1 yard on these two plays. The 31 other teams faced an average of 14 such plays for 87.5 yards during the regular season. Green Bay's inexperience defending these plays could work to the 49ers' advantage if they unleash an option or zone-read package. Kaepernick had a 50-yard gain in the fourth quarter on a designed run against Miami. He had a 50-yard scramble against St. Louis, also in the fourth quarter. The Packers allowed 187 yards on 24 scrambles this season.

3. Don't forget Gore. Frank Gore carried 16 times for 112 yards against the Packers in Week 1. Gore and Adrian Peterson were the only running backs to top 100 yards rushing against the Packers in a game this season. Marshawn Lynch had 98 yards on 25 carries for Seattle against the Packers in Week 3. No one else had more than 84 yards against Green Bay. Gore had six rushes for 72 yards and a touchdown running outside the tackles.

4. Fatigue factor. The 49ers needed the bye week to rest. They rely upon a smaller number of defensive players to log a higher percentage of the snaps, putting them at risk for fatigue. That was a problem for the 49ers when New England had 90-plus offensive plays against San Francisco in Week 15. Green Bay had 61 plays against San Francisco in Week 1, a typical number. The Packers possessed the ball for 70 or more plays in games against Tennessee (76), Minnesota (73), Chicago (71), Arizona (70) and Houston (70). For the 49ers, nine players participated in at least 90 percent of the defensive snaps this season. The figure would have been 10 if Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Smith hadn't missed the final two-plus games.

5. Kicking games in focus. The 49ers and Packers have the three kickers with the lowest field goal percentages for the 2012 regular season. Billy Cundiff, signed by the 49ers as insurance amid David Akers' struggles from 40-plus yards, made a league-low 58.3 percent of his field goal tries this season (7 of 12). Green Bay's Mason Crosby was at 63.6 percent, the second-worst rate. Akers made 69 percent. Those three were the only qualifying kickers below 70 percent for the 2012 season. Akers' 63-yard field goal at Lambeau in the opener was a highlight for the 49ers that day. Seems like five years ago.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this, potentially, is going to be the best game of the weekend. Although, I could see Sea/Atl being a close game too.

I've got the Packers going to the Superbowl and will stick with that choice.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
CGI_Ram said:
I think this, potentially, is going to be the best game of the weekend. Although, I could see Sea/Atl being a close game too.

What a nightmare a SF/Patriots superbowl would be. That would be hard to watch. I too am hoping to see Packers/Broncos or even the Falcons. Either way, I don't care much as long as I'm not watching SF/NE, I guess.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
smram said:
CGI_Ram said:

What a nightmare a SF/Patriots superbowl would be. That would be hard to watch. I too am hoping to see Packers/Broncos or even the Falcons. Either way, I don't care much as long as I'm not watching SF/NE, I guess.

I'm with you.

I'm rooting Packers, Falcons, Houston, and Broncos this weekend - No question!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
smram said:
CGI_Ram said:

I have no problem saying I wouldn't watch that SB. At all.
I would sooner watch a Rachael Ray vs Guy Fieri cookoff on the Cooking Channel before I'd watch that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For me, Seattle and New England would be the worst.

Two cheating coaches. Dislike and have no respect for either liar.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
CGI_Ram said:

This. Three of my most hated teams are still left .. whiners, cheatriots and seadorks .

I hope all three of them implode prior to SB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TK42-RAM said:
Oh ... go packers.

And Atlanta :bg:

If those teams win... Whew!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
TK42-RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

This. Three of my most hated teams are still left .. whiners, cheatriots and seadorks .

I hope all three of them implode prior to SB.

Yup same here. At least w/ SF/NE I would go SF only because I like some of their players. They don't seem as douchy as Seattles.