Pressure to Win in Arizona Falls on Davis’ Shoulders --Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pressure to Win in Arizona Falls on Davis’ Shoulders
By D'Marco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2014/11/06/pressure-win-arizona-falls-davis-shoulders/

For the Rams, the challenge of facing the team with the best record in the NFL draws near. Let’s hope quarterback Austin Davis can rise to the occasion.

Overcoming a crisis of confidence following a shaky performance against the Kansas City Chiefs a week prior, Davis’ steady approach in San Francisco transformed a would-be beleaguered offense into one that recovered from early mistakes. Bad offensive teams do bad things at the most inopportune times, and the Southern Mississippi product’s pair of second-quarter picks didn’t exactly turn heads in a positive sense. Down the stretch, though, Davis and the Rams managed to avoid the big mistake to build and then preserve a 13-10 victory in Santa Clara.

It was an important step in the on-field maturation process of No. 9, and a necessary one in light of the opponent ahead. The 7-1 Arizona Cardinals’ star cornerbacks, Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie, command a lot of attention and split the field in half. Teams don’t have the luxury of picking an easier side to which to throw the ball. They are both great players, very athletic and very talented. We’re talking about a rare combination, indeed.

Peterson and Cromartie dictate the Cards’ defensive philosophy. Coordinator Todd Bowles knows that he can bring pressure and play a lot of man-to-man and single-high. They dare you to get the ball out on time and beat them one-on-one. Frankly, I don’t anticipate any matchups this week, especially on the outside, that will be in the Rams’ favor.

Up front, Arizona is more physical and big than skillful. Starting defensive linemen Calais Campbell, Dan Williams and Tommy Kelly, plus rotational players like Frostee Rucker and Ed Stinson, have combined to register three sacks this season. Actually, no one on the Cardinals’ active roster, save for fourth-year linebacker Sam Acho and second-year man Alex Okafor, enjoys a league-wide reputation as a gifted pass-rusher. This is a D that prefers for the opposition to run the football against them. They’re much better at stopping the run than they are at individually rushing the passer.

The challenge for Davis will be finding a rhythm and not springing leaks over the course of a game, stringing together consecutive successful snaps and trusting the ability of the guys around him to make plays. For receivers, route combinations on both sides must be executed with precision to maximize opportunities. Staying smooth and in-sync should keep the Rams’ offensive line from getting worn down in the second half.

Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Joe Barksdale and the rest of the crew must hold up for all four quarters. Staying committed to running the football will help the timing in the passing game.

Davis has to play with confidence and at a high level this week if the offense is going to be able to score enough points to win on the road. Simply put, he has to put the team in position to win. And, if he can successfully shoulder the load in the desert, the next few weeks suddenly become very interesting.

Big Game

Living The Dream
hmmm idk granted Peterson is a good CB but a lot of teams have gone at him this year with a lot of success. The game plan should be to run the ball effectively use the TE's and take shots when the defense dictates it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I can only see Davis and the offense succeeding by feeding off the momentum and good field position our defense and ST's I suspect will give. I don't expect Davis to play overly well when given a long field. However, I did not expect him to lead a crucial 80-Ish yard TD drive against the Seahawks, either. I have faith and as faith as I do doubt on the matter. I just hope Davis keeps getting better. We've seen regression, for the first time this year, the last couple games. That's a scary trend going into such huge games over the course of the next few weeks.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Damn I miss Brian Quick.... And so does Davis. He hasnt looked the same without him. Everybody always says a QB makes the WRs but a true #1 WR (yes Quick was playing like one) can elevate a QB. Look how bad Daltons been without Green and Stafford without Megatron. Get well Brian you finally became the Stud WR we needed and the luck of the Rams got ya.