Preseason Game Three and QB snaps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well game 3 is huge for the bubble guys as rosters get trimmed after the game. So I'd expect to see a lot of the WR in question getting work. If Keenum starts, he'd have to play the worst game of his life to not be the starter game 1 reg season

Ram65

Legend
I thought Fisher uses the 4th game as more of a dress rehearsal than the 3rd, or did he stop doing that?

That's what I remember also...

I'd play Goff the entire next 2 games...The future is now....

I believe he wanted to. A also think, one year he did play starters longer in preseason game 4. The reality is all the other teams want to make it the 3rd game the starters dress rehearsal. It makes little to no sense playing your starters in game 4 against non-starters from the other team.

Rams could start Keenum for one series and then go Goff the rest of the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But he's no where near ready. Case is obvious starter right now
Let's get the rookie some reps....we can figure out starters and such after he gets up to speed....this is Case's 5th camp...we know, or should know what Case is...and what he isn't...It's time to see what Goff is, and isn't....

It makes little to no sense playing your starters in game 4 against non-starters from the other team.
Depends on how bad or good your "starters" have looked...Everyone needs confidence...

Ram65

Legend
Let's get the rookie some reps....we can figure out starters and such after he gets up to speed....this is Case's 5th camp...we know, or should know what Case is...and what he isn't...It's time to see what Goff is, and isn't....

Depends on how bad or good your "starters" have looked...Everyone needs confidence...

To a point. If the starters get hurt in game 4 Fisher better look out. No Gurely, no Britt, or aaron Donald to start the season would be a big problem. Your just not going to make this a dress rehearsal game if the other team isn't doing the same.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the starters get hurt in game 4 Fisher better look out.
What if the starters get hurt in preseason game 2? How about game 3? What's the difference???? Why play ANY starter in preseason? The game is meant to go on...depth...drafting...and coaching....Next man up...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's Fish's cut bait time. We will know who the appointed starter is, if history is any measure, on Saturday. Whomever the starter, I would expect him to be playing the first 2 to 3 quarters of our 3'rd pre-season game. It's no longer about fan favorites, but getting in sync, developing better chemistry & timing, knowing that every other starter is on the same page.
Pre-season game 4 we should see our two back-ups split game time.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
What if the starters get hurt in preseason game 2? How about game 3? ?What's the difference??? Why play ANY starter in preseason? The game is meant to go on...depth...drafting...and coaching....Next man up...

An extra meaningless game which creates more chance for get injuries.

Yo I just gave info that Fisher is not using game 4 as the dress rehearsal.

I always thought that SJ39 need more carries in preseason. He seemed to fumble more early in the season. It just seems like no team is giving much playing time to starters in game 4. It is what it is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry I know your a supporter of playing Goff now and getting the mistakes behind him as the best way to start his career....so I'm not going to argue that.

What I will say is, that if the plan is to start Keenum on game one, then its a ridiculous notion to sit him during this game, if this game is to be used as the one big dress rehearsal for the season.

Why? Play Keenum in the 4th game for the first half if they realize Goff isn't ready to go. Keenum will be fine. He's a vet. He's ready to go.

…..

Legend
Why? Play Keenum in the 4th game for the first half if they realize Goff isn't ready to go. Keenum will be fine. He's a vet. He's ready to go.

(assuming Goff does not start week 1)

Even so.....I'd prefer my starters took as many snaps as possible together. They already have to shed enough playing time for the staff to evaluate the rest of the roster.

Fisher gave Goff extra huddle time the last game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(assuming Goff does not start week 1)

Even so.....I'd prefer my starters took as many snaps as possible together. They already have to shed enough playing time for the staff to evaluate the rest of the roster.

Fisher gave Goff extra huddle time the last game.

To make up for the lack of time he got in Game 1. Goff needs the reps. He's the future of this team.

lockdnram21

Legend
If u play him in the 4th game it will be against other teams backups fighting to make roster. Would be no reason to play him

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
That's what I remember also...

I'd play Goff the entire next 2 games...The future is now....

giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If u play him in the 4th game it will be against other teams backups fighting to make roster. Would be no reason to play him

The reason to play him is to keep him from getting rusty. It's not like he needs reps against starters. He's been in the NFL for years and has played real games.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I give Keenum one or two series w.the 1's.
I give Goff .the rest of the first half w/the 1's.
I give Goff the 3rd qtr w/the 2's and 3's.
I give Mannion the 4th w/the bubble guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem is the opposing offense will be putting together 30 minute drives every time they get the ball. So I'd say one series for Case and get him out. Goff from there into the early third quarter, which will only be like two possessions. Then Mannion to close it out.

…..

Legend
I'm guessing it depends on how much install they are still doing and how much work they think the 1's need together. In reality, we are only adding a few new wrinkles and plays to Keenum's cranium. For Goff, its all a complete install.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok ok, its preseason and all, and the Rams play vanilla D blah blah blah, but one thing is for sure, @Merlin touched on it. We cant let Trevor Freakin Siemien go all kinds of Dak Prescott on us. Lets get some 3 and outs so our offense can spend some time on the field yes?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If Goff is not the opening day starter, these last two preseason games will be the last best chance for him to get meaningful gameplay experience before that nebulous entry into a real nfl game sometime this season. Every extra rep he gets exponentially speeds his development. Playing in the preseason allowing him to grow and to make mistakes without it counting against the teams record is so valuable. Kenum is a vet placeholder for Goff he needs just enough work to prevent rustiness. Every snap Goff takes puts him one step closer to starting IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I give Keenum one or two series w.the 1's.
I give Goff .the rest of the first half w/the 1's.
I give Goff the 3rd qtr w/the 2's and 3's.
I give Mannion the 4th w/the bubble guys.

I think you nailed it, Mojo.

Keenum looks pretty sharp at this stage. Ready for the opener, I think. A couple of series should be plenty for him.

Then Goff gets a valuable quarter with the ones, plus another quarter with backups to gain experience and confidence.

Then Mannion can show his stuff in the 4th qtr while avoiding injury risk to Goff. Mannion is plenty good enough to give marginal WR's and TE's their opportunities to flash.

Yeah, that sounds like a win win win to me.