Prediction: Flacco was the last traditional QB to sign a big contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a great idea.
Tho the hard part is finding a QB that can actually play at a high level the first year, lower in the draft and then be able to find another just as good four years later to not have to pay the high contract.

Not just a hard part...a nearly impossible part. There's a reason why QBs get pushed up the draft board so hard. Teams are desperate for them and will not hesitate to over-draft them. You better be the best QB evaluator in the world if that's your plan. Me? If I get a franchise QB, I'm locking him up.

ram29jackson

Rookie
I think..so far..all this proved is you don't need a great QB to win.
Parity has made it so you don't need strength and balance in all areas of your team to win many games.
Russell Wilson may be more of a Tarkenton than a Vick. Kaep has talent but I doubt his career finishes strong when its all done and even then if they have long careers that means they have to learn to pocket pass anyway...why would the trend be for running QBs? all that means is they would all have a shorter shelf life...

the actual trend might be getting defensive players who weigh less to move faster to get in the way of the easy passing game.
why is it that it seems the 2 best teams in the NFC have the weakest offenses in the league ?
why/how did two college coaches succeed so well so early in the pro game ?

is it because they know how to handle free agency turn over better in a short time period and get young guys to buy into a system that older players wont ? the Seattle defense is considered the best idea but their so called star corner leads the team and league in penalties...? I think 2 college coaches saw that parity and free agency and rules changes weakened the quality of play in the league
and brought in some college offense ideas and succeeded quickly...maybe they looked at how defensive penalties affect games and decided its worth the risk to still play rough...?

I don't know......

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We had ~$40,000,000 on IR this past season.... Think about that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You can go back in time even beyond Fran Tarkenton and see QBs come through the league that can extend plays with their legs. Every now and then you get a great one - John Elway, Steve Young, etc. And every time there is more than one fleet footed QB in the league and their team improves, you hear the same thing about it being the future of the position. But when you look back, it is only a handful that really have a lengthy career and stand the test of time. In reality, a good or great QB doesn't really fit a mold. A good to great QB does what he does but does it very well. And if he is on a winning team it is because the team is designed around those abilities.

Personally, I'll wait to see how Krap and Wilson fair as time goes on. It will be interesting to see what kind of contracts they receive. I know everyone is assuming they are going to break the bank but I'm not too sure. I hope so but IMO they are just not the top players on their teams in terms of importance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
why/how did two college coaches succeed so well so early in the pro game ?

is it because they know how to handle free agency turn over better in a short time period and get young guys to buy into a system that older players wont ?

Interesting take.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I just don't see how you could look at their offense and say that the 49ers and Seahawks are some kind of trend to follow, but you can look at what they do well.

They excel at defense and they each have a strong running game.

To me, the most logical edge any team can exploit is using the draft to more efficiently manage the salary cap regardless of position, and that's the only point that I agree with the OP on.

To me it seems like defensive players can contribute much sooner which is why I can agree with Fisher and Snead taking Brockers and Ogletree.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a great idea.
Tho the hard part is finding a QB that can actually play at a high level the first year, lower in the draft and then be able to find another just as good four years later to not have to pay the high contract.

Yeah, that's the catch. You could also follow the template of drafting him late, sitting him for a year, then playing him. Taj Boyd probably would fit that model. There are going to be a lot of up tempo, QB's with running capabilities coming out. The game has changed at the high school level.

fearsomefour

Legend
If this year proved anything, it's that you don't need to ride a QB all the way to the super bowl. Wilson is a smart game manager that excels in the sandlot environment that happens when you extend a play. Nothing more, nothing less.
This has been proven before....Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning....Superbowl winning QBs.