Prediction: Flacco was the last traditional QB to sign a big contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Guys,

First of all this post is not about Bradford. This post is about the evolution of the game we love.

Kap challenged the system last year. Wilson broke it this year.

I'm going to make the prediction now that there will be no more $100 million dollar contracts signed by "traditional" drop back QBs. When I say traditional, I mean guys that can't run for yardage on a consistent basis or extend plays with their feet.

I think there will be no more Manning's or Brady's in the modern era of football. We saw what happened to Matt Ryan when is Elite WR corps went down and he had to play with 'pedestrian' WRs - was not pretty.

This is NOT a white vs. black thing. It's an athlete thing.

I present two pieces of evidence, which you are free to criticize.

1. I'm sighting the video below as an example of the kind of conversations that are going on today behind closed doors (i.e., as GM's are looking at QB's);

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...000323770/Is-Russell-Wilson-changing-the-game

2. Follow the money.

The Whiners and the Seacocks were heads and tails the best two teams this year. The real superbowl was the NFC championship game. Both these teams are build on "cheap" QBs and solid rosters, especially on the defensive sides.

These two teams have established a template for how the league will progress.

Anyway, I apologize in advance if this ruffles feathers. However, for some of you, this might seem extremely obvious...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're more than welcome to your opinion but I think you're nuts. Absolutely bonkers. Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Every QB in the NFL is or was capable in some way of extending plays with their feet. Even Peyton Manning was in the past. Brady still can a little bit. Flacco can. These men are pro athletes.

The idea that the days of traditional drop back passers are gone is as inaccurate idea as you can create. Of the four elite QBs in the NFL, three are pocket passers. Aaron Rodgers is more of the balanced variety.

There may never be another Peyton Manning or Tom Brady but there will be QBs cut from the same cloth those two were because THERE ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. Have you forgotten Kurt Warner, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, Dan Fouts, etc.?

The top 5 passers in QB Rating this year?
1. Nick Foles
2. Peyton Manning
3. Philip Rivers
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Drew Brees

All but Rodgers are pocket passers.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I could have sworn Jay Cutler just got $18m per year.

Doesn't matter what type of qb comes to contract time, if they're good they'll get the big money.

RamsFan14

Starter
It also helps that those two teams have one of the best defenses in football.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I could have sworn Jay Cutler just got $18m per year.

Doesn't matter what type of qb comes to contract time, if they're good they'll get the big money.

I forgot about Jay. Damn it! LOL!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think someone said this when Atlanta drafted Mike Vick

Seattles defense won that game along with a let em play officiating crew.

Russel Wilson would.t have sniffed the playoffs nor would Kaepernick with Denvers defense,he might have been benched by mid season when being forced to try to come from behind consistently .

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So how much will Krap and Bozo hair Wilson be making when they soon sign their new deals?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
So how much will Krap and Bozo hair Wilson be making when they soon sign their new deals?
I hope they top the scale,break the bank , hope the hawks and 9r's actually buy the hype

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If this year proved anything, it's that you don't need to ride a QB all the way to the super bowl. Wilson is a smart game manager that excels in the sandlot environment that happens when you extend a play. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
You're more than welcome to your opinion but I think you're nuts. Absolutely bonkers. Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Every QB in the NFL is or was capable in some way of extending plays with their feet. Even Peyton Manning was in the past. Brady still can a little bit. Flacco can. These men are pro athletes.

The idea that the days of traditional drop back passers are gone is as inaccurate idea as you can create. Of the four elite QBs in the NFL, three are pocket passers. Aaron Rodgers is more of the balanced variety.

There may never be another Peyton Manning or Tom Brady but there will be QBs cut from the same cloth those two were because THERE ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. Have you forgotten Kurt Warner, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, Dan Fouts, etc.?

The top 5 passers in QB Rating this year?
1. Nick Foles
2. Peyton Manning
3. Philip Rivers
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Drew Brees

All but Rodgers are pocket passers.
That's correct, but the OP was suggesting the trend is going to change. All the QBs you listed are existing QBs who aren't exhibiting the trend of being a dual threat. Newton, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, Luck, Locker, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, etc. They all are capable of tucking it and making plays where pocket passers would be left with only two alternatives. Take a sack or throw it away. I agree with the idea that the pure pocket passer may soon be a relic of a bygone era, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It does come with inherent risks, but so does standing there relying on the protection of 5 or 6 to keep you from getting hit.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
aND WHAT IF BORTLES IS DRAFTED FIRST BY hOUSTON?

RFIP

I wish it was a bet instead of a prediction so I could turn in my two week notice today. (n)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
TYhese types of QB's will never work UNTIL the NFL makes some rules changes to protect them. Wilson might be the exception because he plays like Rothlisberger in that he doesn't run until after trying to extend the play and find a place to throw it first.

Actual running types of QB's will need further protection from the rules otherwise they will not last and will never be around long enough to make enough of an impact.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's a great idea.
Tho the hard part is finding a QB that can actually play at a high level the first year, lower in the draft and then be able to find another just as good four years later to not have to pay the high contract.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's correct, but the OP was suggesting the trend is going to change. All the QBs you listed are existing QBs who aren't exhibiting the trend of being a dual threat. Newton, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, Luck, Locker, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, etc. They all are capable of tucking it and making plays where pocket passers would be left with only two alternatives. Take a sack or throw it away. I agree with the idea that the pure pocket passer may soon be a relic of a bygone era, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It does come with inherent risks, but so does standing there relying on the protection of 5 or 6 to keep you from getting hit.

Teddy Bridgewater is a pocket passer. Even Sam can tuck it and pick up yardage at times. Joe Flacco can too.

The trend isn't changing.

In 2000, here are a list of mobile QBs that started the majority of their team's games:
-Donovan McNabb
-Daunte Culpepper
-Steve McNair
-Kordell Stewart
-Shaun King
-Rich Gannon
-Jeff Garcia
-Jeff Blake
-Akili Smith

And that list doesn't include guys like Brett Favre, Jake Plummer, Tony Banks, etc. that could still buy time with their feet. Who was the #1 draft pick following the 2000 season? Michael Vick. Mobile QBs are nothing new.

The thing about great pocket passers is that they make sure those 5 or 6 guys are in the best position to protect them and they get rid of the ball very quickly. You don't have to be super athletic to be able to evade the rush, buy time and help your OLs out. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do it all the time with intelligent maneuvering and a sense of spacing and timing within the pocket.