Predicting the best newcomer in all eight NFL divisions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16861232/predicting-best-nfl-newcomer-all-eight-divisions#NFC W

NFC West

Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: One of the best pass-rushers in all the land now calls the NFC West home. When the Cardinals traded for Chandler Jones in March, they filled a need that could be the difference between playing in the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. No other newcomer compares to his 12.5 sacks last season. There will be a lot of attention paid to two rookies in the West, Rams quarterback Jared Goff and Cardinals defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche, but neither is proven. Jones established himself as one of the elite pass-rushers in the league in 2015, despite a run-in with police that didn't result in an arrest. Though Jones might be making a one-season stop in the West, there weren't any better additions to the division.

Nick Wagoner, Los Angeles Rams reporter: Undoubtedly, the Rams hope the answer to this question at the end of the season is Goff. But that seems to be asking too much of a rookie quarterback transitioning from a spread offense to a pro-style scheme without much in the way of receiver help around him. So in an offseason in which most of the NFC West teams were pretty quiet with free-agent additions, the answer here is the one that made the defending division champions better: Jones. The Cardinals paid a high price to bring Jones over from New England, but this is a team that played in the NFC Championship Game a year ago. Though that game wasn't close enough that one player could have made the difference, the Cardinals believes Jones is the type of player who could help get them over the top and into the Super Bowl. I'm not sure Jones is that player, but there's no question he will help the Cardinals rush the passer without having to lead the league in blitzes again in 2016.

Michael Wagaman, San Francisco 49ers reporter: The return of Brandon Browner to the Seahawks' secondary was a big move, as was the addition of guard Evan Mathis to the Cardinals, but the newcomer who stands out the most is Goff. The No. 1 overall pick in the draft was an incredible talent in college who should have no problem stepping in and running an NFL offense. If the memory of Sam Bradford still causes sleepless nights for Rams fans, they should rest easy with Goff at the controls. He should be worth 3-4 more wins for Los Angeles just by being on the field.

Sheil Kapadia, Seattle Seahawks reporter: This is an easy choice: Jones. The Cardinals struggled to generate a consistent pass rush last season. According to ESPN Stats & Information, their defense produced sacks on 5.7 percent of their opponents' dropbacks. That ranked 20th in the NFL. And the Cardinals blitzed 45.1 percent of the time, more than any defense in the league, putting pressure on the players in the back end. In Jones, they get a player who had 12.5 sacks last season with the New England Patriots and has 30 sacks in his past 41 games. He will give the Cardinals' defense, which was already among the best in the league in 2015, a boost.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who would have thunk that the 49er reporter is the one that likes Goff's potential this year? Probably the guy is a Cal fan and so watched him for three years. Our guy Waggoner likes to jab our reciever core whenever he can, and downplay Goff as well. Waggoner is moving out to California to be closer to the Rams I guess...I wish we had another reporter.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Michael Wagaman, San Francisco 49ers reporter: The return of Brandon Browner to the Seahawks' secondary was a big move, as was the addition of guard Evan Mathis to the Cardinals, but the newcomer who stands out the most is Goff. The No. 1 overall pick in the draft was an incredible talent in college who should have no problem stepping in and running an NFL offense. If the memory of Sam Bradford still causes sleepless nights for Rams fans, they should rest easy with Goff at the controls. He should be worth 3-4 more wins for Los Angeles just by being on the field.
Excellent!!!!:mrburnsevil::yess:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Who would have thunk that the 49er reporter is the one that likes Goff's potential this year? Probably the guy is a Cal fan and so watched him for three years. Our guy Waggoner likes to jab our reciever core whenever he can, and downplay Goff as well. Waggoner is moving out to California to be closer to the Rams I guess...I wish we had another reporter.

Is he really? I saw his name and was wondering why he was still covering the Rams..........it could be worst it could have been the Bovine Bloviator.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" I don't see how anyone can make any kind of informed prediction considering Training camp hasn't even started yet!! It's all wishful thinking!!!":cool:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is he really? I saw his name and was wondering why he was still covering the Rams..........it could be worst it could have been the Bovine Bloviator.
Yes, I heard a radio interview with Waggoner (might have been with John Clayton), and the throwaway line was wishing him good luck with his personal move to LA....unfortunately.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, I heard a radio interview with Waggoner (might have been with John Clayton), and the throwaway line was wishing him good luck with his personal move to LA....unfortunately.

The STL media covering sports is so horrible, and now he is going to have to compete in a market with multiple outlets.

Well Nick my advice is rent don't buy. :help:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well Nick my advice is rent don't buy. :help:

Wagoner seems like a jilted lover, but he was just so wrong about the relocation I'm not sure he's recovered. Prior to the relocation, he was okay because nowadays with social media, it's hard to please everyone.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Rams had the 32nd passing offense. Jones is joining a defense that was already top five without him.

Even as a rookie, hard to think Goff won't improve upon the 11 TD passes Rams QBs threw in 2015.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wagoner seems like a jilted lover, but he was just so wrong about the relocation I'm not sure he's recovered. Prior to the relocation, he was okay because nowadays with social media, it's hard to please everyone.

IMO he trusted Kroenke/Demoff at their word, and that turned out to be a mistake.

Your point about it being hard to please everyone is valid, but he has a lot more competition now. There are many more outlets in LA and if he does crappy work people will tune out. It's not going to be like STL where there are really only a couple or few alternatives. He's going to have to be on his toes, no more half assed work like he and Bernie have thrown out there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO he trusted Kroenke/Demoff at their word, and that turned out to be a mistake.

He's going to have to be on his toes, no more half assed work like he and Bernie have thrown out there.

IMO, it wasn't that hard to read the tea leaves, but that ship has sailed. Wagoner will have to bring more to the table that's for sure, but I'm spoiled on this board with the likes of @jrry32 & @Florida_Ram besides many others, who needs Nick Wagoner!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These journalists really are terrible. They're overrating Jones in a major way. Belichick is a lot of things. Stupid isn't one of them. If Jones was an elite pass rusher, he'd have ponied up the money to re-sign him rather than trading him.

Plus, Goff is a QB. If he performs at a competent level, he's worth at least 2-3 more wins than the guys he replaced.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our guy Waggoner likes to jab our reciever core whenever he can, and downplay Goff as well.

he's still butt hurt the rams didn't take watkins. hasn't said a good word about the receivers since. not that they deserve any but at least look for the positives.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he's still butt hurt the rams didn't take watkins. hasn't said a good word about the receivers since. not that they deserve any but at least look for the positives.

damn straight..It seems that some reporters take it as a personal affront if a teams scouting department and personnel guys, don't see the draft as they do. Waggoner refuses to see possibilities in our WR's and defensive backfield.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
" I don't see how anyone can make any kind of informed prediction considering Training camp hasn't even started yet!! It's all wishful thinking!!!":cool:

Training camp isn't really indicative of success. Otherwise Bradford and Jimmy Kennedy would be headed to the HOF when they retire

These journalists really are terrible. They're overrating Jones in a major way. Belichick is a lot of things. Stupid isn't one of them. If Jones was an elite pass rusher, he'd have ponied up the money to re-sign him rather than trading him.

Plus, Goff is a QB. If he performs at a competent level, he's worth at least 2-3 more wins than the guys he replaced.

I was wondering that too. In the few Patriots games that I have watched, Jones didn't jump off the screen as some phenomenal talent. The media is over doing it on another Patriot saving a franchise or putting them in the Super bowl.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Looking for "Positives" from Wagoner is wishful thinking!!