Predicting Snead/Fish in round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What leads you to believe he's well liked by the Rams?

Good question franken, and my answer is: the tape.

He played LT very well from the perspective of executing his responsibilities. That is something that will continue in the NFL, he's not gonna get all confused like half or our OL do when there's a stunt or added rusher, he will block the right guy in that event in the passing game OR in the running game he'll eliminate the guy he's supposed to. So from the top he can execute consistently which is something we don't talk about a lot with OL but is something the Rams have had enormous problems with.

The knock on him is he doesn't have the feet for LT in the NFL, or the lanky dancing bear build and coordination in his lower half. But that doesn't really matter here for the Rams. They aren't looking for a LT. From the RT perspective where their need is he will have zero problems on the edge. He is extremely athletic and extremely strong on tape. That is all I am concerned with, I can care less how far his long jump is or how many bench presses he did. I seriously doubt based on the tape and how strong he is functionally the Rams have concerns on that front.

While I agree that he can be a top end OG, where I differ from most is I don't think he's going to be as much of a liability on the edge as most have been saying in the media. I believe all the hoopla over the OG projections and what happened with Martin last year have taken this whole thing a little out of context. IMO he is an instant starter at RT who will immediately upgrade us over Barks. Where Barks was inconsistent, Scherff will lock it down without the Rams losing any physical presence. Also, his flexibility to play on the inside as well is an enormous advantage. Plug and play RT or OG for a team that has 3x holes on their line? Extreme value.

Lastly, he has the tough mentality and love of the game the Rams are looking for. He's the anti-Smith. He is a guy who will add to a great locker room and who will step into that OL and give the Rams a trio of top talent. If you look at lines even the best of them have an average guy or two, what they usually have in common are three playing at a top level. Scherff's addition pairs nicely from that perspective with Saffold and a young LT going into his second season. Some of those other OTs that you can start grouping together that have late first round and on type grades aren't necessarily going to come with a high confidence level of arriving this season to give that to the Rams.

Hope that answers your question. Lots of ways the Rams can go, I just happen to think Scherff is going to be very high on their list. What will be interesting is if they are looking at Scherff and Parker/White at 10... Hope that happens vice them moving up for one of those tbh, and if I had my way I think a trade down would be best. Just trying to predict what the Rams' priorities will be in round 1, so we'll see if I'm even in the ballpark soon.

iced

I don't see how Amari Cooper wouldn't be #1 on their board, if he made it that far.. and I totally wouldn't be surprised if the Rams took Devante Parker in the first somehow either (or even at 10 with some having him better than white). they've brought him in for a pre-draft visit, and there's some back chatter about the Rams liking Parker.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/4/20/8448123/2015-nfl-draft-rumors-st-louis-rams-devante-parker
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bac3a98d-5962-59c3-a44b-38683602977c.html

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@den-the-coach thanks for the post...To me it confirms, 1) you don't take an OG at #10...(same with slot wrs)...2) Iowa guys are usually finds later. 3) Frentz has drained all the talent out of them, they won't improve as their careers go on.
So, get that RT dude in the 5th or 6th, and he ends up being a solid starter...He actually looked ok at the senior bowl as well. Donnell I think his name was...
Scherff can move, but as far a physical, physicality, & road-grader too, naw I don't see that...
Snisher are too smart, power players typically come from power conferences...SEC or Pac-12, ACC, Big 12 and Big 10. Iowa is Big 10, but this seems like a reach.
Lets go the safe route, tape + measurables = Future Rams stud...KISS

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I seriously doubt they're that high on Scherff, or at least I hope they're not. He really struggled last year, I don't think he comes close to living up to the Zack Martin comparison who was basically a flawless pass protector.
agree 100%

Also, I think it says something that over half of their pre-draft visits were OL, and Scherff wasn't one of them. Some might say smokescreen, but iirc every one of Snisher's first round draft picks made a pre-draft visit. It doesn't really seem like something they would do to mislead, they're genuinely interested in how their draft targets fit in at Rams park.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've believed that Scherff would be the Rams choice at #10 for awhile now, but now I'm really beginning to wonder. Why?

- The depth of interior linemen in this draft class coupled with seeing a kid they really liked and would have selected in Larry Warford in late round one a couple years back last till round 3.

- I doubt that they see Scheff (or Collins) as OTs if they believe that Saffold with better feet and longer arms is a guard.

- And finally, they seem to lean more towards upside (Remember, they liked Robinson and Lewan over a more polished Matthews).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've believed that Scherff would be the Rams choice at #10 for awhile now, but now I'm really beginning to wonder. Why?

- The depth of interior linemen in this draft class coupled with seeing a kid they really liked and would have selected in Larry Warford in late round one a couple years back last till round 3.

- I doubt that they see Scheff (or Collins) as OTs if they believe that Saffold with better feet and longer arms is a guard.

- And finally, they seem to lean more towards upside (Remember, they liked Robinson and Lewan over a more polished Matthews).

So will the pick be Parker?

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
There might not be any linemen they rate worth the #10 pick. They might be hoping someone falls at another position and/or hope for a tradedown. The more I read, the more I feel there isn't much difference in talent level with the OL prospects predicted for the first round versus second and third. There does seem to be a big drop off in other positions. I think they look to trade down, but if they stay, they take one of the top three receivers or top CB.

paceram

Pro Bowler
So will the pick be Parker?

I always thought there was a good chance the Rams would pick Cooper or White over Scherff but now I do think you can add Parker to that list as well! Now, I will be surprised if the Rams don't pick one of these 3 WR's with their pick (This coming from a guy that was always pretty sure that Scherff would be the pick!). I am just curious on how the Rams rate Cooper, White and Parker. Now, more than ever I really hope that the Rams re-sign Barksdale and can get one of the interior linemen (Erving, Cann, Tomlinson, Marpet, etc) in the 2nd or 3rd rounds!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I agree BPA, but there is more to the bench to determine strength and I don't doubt Scherff's strength. Again for the record I prefer Collins, but I'm good with BPA, but eventually they are going to have to address the OL...You know it, I know it and the American people know it.

errrr North American know it :whistle:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

This is how Im seeing it as well. I see WR or Front 7 player as the pick. Add playmaker for Foles or the finishing touch to create havoc along the front 7. Cruching QBs

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This thread is about predictions.

Rams will draft Devante Parker at 10.

If he is gone La'el Collins will be the pick.

Honestly think it's between these 2.

Based on nothing more than my uninformed opinion lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Sound logic but they did love Martin enough to trade up for him. If they think Scherf is equal to Martin then why not take him?

Getting an OT would be better value if they go Oline and that means Peat, Humphries or Clemmings. I think Peat sucks, Humphries and Clemmings could both go later. Boudreau worked out Humphries at his pro day. Maybe they like him best.

I want a top three WR but I am not convinced the Rams do. I could see them trading the pick with KC.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't see how Amari Cooper wouldn't be #1 on their board, if he made it that far.. and I totally wouldn't be surprised if the Rams took Devante Parker in the first somehow either (or even at 10 with some having him better than white). they've brought him in for a pre-draft visit, and there's some back chatter about the Rams liking Parker.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/4/20/8448123/2015-nfl-draft-rumors-st-louis-rams-devante-parker
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bac3a98d-5962-59c3-a44b-38683602977c.html
He would but every body knows he want make it to us . It's either Parker or White. Most likely Parker. But I think they trade back

iced

He would but every body knows he want make it to us . It's either Parker or White. Most likely Parker. But I think they trade back

I'd be content with either one of those receivers. And if they want one of them, I doubt they'll trade back if only one of them is there with Vikings and Browns sitting right after us

Stel

Starter
All I want in the 1st is non-D BPA.

Which is White/Cooper/Parker imo.

And Martin repped it 29 times on the bench BTW. And you saw his strength transfer to the field as well.

Flowers did 37. With longer arms. :sneaky:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snisher have traded first round picks a total of 4 times in three years (2 trades in 2 years), they traded up in the 2nd round last year, and they tried to trade for Martin last year.

Based on their history, I believe they will trade back and pick Cameron Erving. That is my guess.