Predicting Offensive, Defensive Rookie of the Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...fensive-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-hopefuls

Predicting Offensive, Defensive Rookie of the Year

The offseason calendar has finally reached the point where teams are able to conduct full practices. Coaches are able to see how their prized rookies fare within their schemes while also crafting additional plans to help them emerge as impact players when the season kicks off in a few months.

Naturally, we expect to see several first-round picks vie for the top individual rookie honors, based on the high expectations preceding their arrivals. But of course, last year, a Day 3 pick (Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, a fourth-round selection) walked away with the 2016 Offensive Rookie of the Year award. With that in mind, I thought I would take an early stab at predicting which rookies could be in line to snag the 2017 Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year awards -- looking at potential candidates through a few different lenses. Here's my take:

OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

THE FAVORITE: Leonard Fournette, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars

After Cowboys back Ezekiel Elliott claimed the NFL's rushing crown as a rookie in 2016, expectations are through the roof for the Jaguars' new RB1, who -- like Elliott in 2016 -- was drafted fourth overall. Fournette is expected to give the team an identity as a hard-nosed runner with a violent running style that strikes fear into the hearts of defenders. He is also slated to carry the Jaguars' offense to new heights as the workhorse for an offensive-minded head coach (Doug Marrone) intent on building a tougher and more physical squad on both sides of the ball. With Fournette set to receive a heavy workload that features 20-25 carries per game, the rookie runner should top the 1,000-yard mark and finish among the top five rushers in yards.

THE SEXY PICK: Deshaun Watson, QB, Houston Texans

Despite starting the offseason program behind Tom Savage, Watson is well-positioned to be the team's starting quarterback, based on his supreme confidence, competitiveness and winning pedigree. The No. 12 overall pick thrives on the biggest and brightest stages, which will serve him well as the starter on a team with championship aspirations. Watson's big-game experience will come in handy on a team with a stellar supporting cast on offense and a championship-caliber defense that returns three-time Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt. If Watson quickly builds chemistry with receiver DeAndre Hopkins and masters the basics of coach Bill O'Brien's playbook while displaying his usual flair at the position, he will rack up enough wins and style points to make a serious OROY run.

THE SLEEPER PICK: Samaje Perine, RB, Washington Redskins

The fourth-round pick (No. 114 overall) must unseat "Fat Rob" Kelley for the RB1 job, but he could flourish as the starter behind Washington's monstrous offensive line. Perine is a big, downhill runner perfectly suited for playing in the power-based scheme. The 5-foot-11, 233-pound banger runs through contact and punishes defenders at the end of runs with his violent style. With the Redskins looking to lighten the load on Kirk Cousins as the veteran quarterback breaks in a revamped WR corps, Perine's role as RB1 -- provided he can swipe the gig, of course -- could lead to a surprising 1,000-yard season from a bruising back.

DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

THE FAVORITE: Myles Garrett, DE, Cleveland Browns

Garrett has all of the physical tools to take over the game from the edges, possessing a rare combination of size, strength, balance and body control. Although his hand skills and pass-rush ability are still a work in progress, it is hard to block an ultra-freakish athlete with outstanding "wiggle" and movement skills. On the strength of his athleticism alone, Garrett could finish with at least 10 sacks and a number of forced fumbles as the defensive sparkplug off the edge. Given how sacks and pressures disrupt the rhythm of the quarterback, the impact of the No. 1 overall draft pick could make him the runaway winner for the top defensive honor.

THE SEXY PICK: Jamal Adams, S, New York Jets

The Jets' new pack leader should make an immediate impact on a defense that lost its way a season ago. Adams will not only control the action between the hashes as a "seek and destroy" hitter, but he should stuff the stat sheet as a versatile playmaker in the box. From tackles to sacks to forced fumbles and interceptions, the sixth overall pick should finish the season with a smorgasbord of big plays that set the tone for the defense. I expect he will quickly reveal his impact potential as a first-year starter on a defense that suddenly has a young, dynamic nucleus (Leonard Williams, Darron Lee and Adams) to build around.

THE SLEEPER PICK: Carl Lawson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals might've snagged the best-kept secret at the edge rusher position when they selected Lawson with the No. 116 overall pick. The 6-2, 261-pound power player has a rugged game built on brute strength and physicality, yet he also flashes enough quickness and agility to win with finesse from a two- or three-point stance. On a defense that's looking for a player with juice off the edge, Lawson's combination of athleticism and pass-rush skills could help him carve out a role as a designated pass rusher and deliver enough sack production to crack the top-10 list.

jjab360

Legend
I might be off my rocker here but I think there's a chance that Kupp hits that 1k mark his rookie year.

I've got a feeling he's going to see a ton of balls thrown his way. I could see Goff leaning on him a lot like Bradford did Amendola, both just have a knack for getting open and catching the ball reliably. If Kupp doesn't have Amendola's luck with injuries he's going to have a great career imo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is easy, for me, It's:
* On Offense it's Cooper Kupp!
* On Defense it's Samson Ebukam!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Skill, utilization, and opportunity. That is the recipe for a quick start as a rook, so yeah our best chance is probably Kupp.

He has the skills that suit this offense. He has the kind of staff that will set him up for success. And he will be on the field a lot.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think there's a chance that Kupp hits that 1k mark his rookie year.
Nope, you're officially off your rocker! LOLOLOL Love my Rams...anybody has a chance...but a rookie wr? You might as well thrown Everett in the mix. LMAO

ROY offense, Deshawn Kizer....Hue is the real deal...Check Cody Kessler's numbers if you doubt. WAY better than some guy....can't remember his name right now...LOLOL
ROY defensive....tougher...but I just heard Taco Charlton was bulldozing a certain LT in drills...I like that....but let say John Johnson beats out Joyner...I know, I know...but hey...who else can I say...Kevin King..the corner I wanted? Awuzie??? The other corner I really liked????

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nope, you're officially off your rocker! LOLOLOL Love my Rams...anybody has a chance...but a rookie wr? You might as well thrown Everett in the mix. LMAO

ROY offense, Deshawn Kizer....Hue is the real deal...Check Cody Kessler's numbers if you doubt. WAY better than some guy....can't remember his name right now...LOLOL
ROY defensive....tougher...but I just heard Taco Charlton was bulldozing a certain LT in drills...I like that....but let say John Johnson beats out Joyner...I know, I know...but hey...who else can I say...Kevin King..the corner I wanted? Awuzie??? The other corner I really liked????
As a man who no one could call a "Homer" :)LOL::ROFLMAO::rolllaugh:) I would just like to say. If Kenny Britt can gain 1000+ yard with last years Team, Cooper Kupp can do it with this years team! JMHO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cooper Kupp can do it with this years team!
Cooper will be fighting for playing time and targets...And if OTA photos mean anything...Pharoh, Spruuuce, and Mike Thomas have accepted the challenge.

Seriously, I just can't see a rookie, built like Kupp, grabbing 60-70 balls...all in the seams...getting hit...and playing a significant role. I think Everett has a better chance....and that's only if he isn't used for much blocking. And I include Reynolds in this assessment too. Just too frail right now.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Rookie WRs don't usually make that much of an impact - it's a position where guys usually take a year or 2 to transition from the collegiate ranks into what they can be as a pro. Remember, even Julio Jones didn't quite crack 1000 as a rook - and he's the most ridiculous WR in the league, and had an experienced Matt Ryan throwing to him.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The OROY is almost always a lock to be a RB, with QB as a wild-card.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

You and me both
Awuzie - DROY

Cowboys really got a great player there

But that's where it it ends :LOL:
COOPER KUPP - OROY!!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man, I forgot Mixon...really like his situation...and that dude John Ross...just from watching him in college, he has a pro game...And boy I really like that wr....Central Mich guy....#5 pick...

@Dieter the Brock
I'm PRAYING Kupp is just a first year wonder..Torry Holt style...just not sure.....Speed kills...technicians....not so sure.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm PRAYING Kupp is just a first year wonder..Torry Holt style...just not sure.....Speed kills...technicians....not so sure.

Don't get so caught up in Kupp's 4.6 40 time CHAMP... The kid has deceptive speed.

He's like one of those overweight criminals that gets away on foot from a chasing cop. You know that hidden extra gear a person has when the adrenaline is pumping. ;)

BUm27.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't get so caught up in Kupp's 4.6 40 time CHAMP... The kid has deceptive speed.
Sorry so sorry....dude is probably gonna have separation issues....I'm in the "show me" mode...

Speaking of guys running....I remember seeing a video...recently...where a guy "thinks" he's running away from an arrest, only to be shot dead...and he was running like I run in my dreams...slow as hell. I wonder if he believed he was actually going somewhere. It's funny but not funny, cause he was killed. But people THINK they are really moving fast when if they could look at themselves on film...they aint going nowhere.

I actually think Reynolds will be the better pro...I actually expect Woods, Thomas, Pharoh, and Spruuuce to have better numbers THIS season.....and look out for Marquez North. THOSE ARE NFL TYPE RECEIVERS...that have a lil more experience.

jjab360

Legend
Rookie WRs don't usually make that much of an impact - it's a position where guys usually take a year or 2 to transition from the collegiate ranks into what they can be as a pro. Remember, even Julio Jones didn't quite crack 1000 as a rook - and he's the most ridiculous WR in the league, and had an experienced Matt Ryan throwing to him.
Of course but I'm factoring in how polished that Kupp already is, his football intelligence, and his relentless work ethic into the equation. He's got all the signs of a guy who can make an easy transition and this is a team where he's not going to have much competition for targets right now

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of guys running....I remember seeing a video...recently...where a guy "thinks" he's running away from an arrest, only to be shot dead...and he was running like I run in my dreams...slow as hell. I wonder if he believed he was actually going somewhere. It's funny but not funny, cause he was killed. But people THINK they are really moving fast when if they could look at themselves on film...they aint going nowhere.

This is exactly what the krapper was protesting about. Some old black dude at a traffic stop, starts to jog away like a tortoise for some reason, cop shoots him 7 times in the back. For real?