Predicting Every NFL Team's Surprise Rookie Gem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837684-predicting-every-nfl-teams-surprise-rookie-gem#slide18

Predicting Every NFL Team's Surprise Rookie Gem

Gary Davenport
Ever since the NFL draft, there has been a ton of talk about this year's rookie class. Much of it has centered on high picks like quarterback Kyler Murray, edge-rusher Nick Bosa and defensive lineman Quinnen Williams.

However, every year rookies rise from obscurity to surprise the NFL. In 2018, Denver Broncos tailback Phillip Lindsay became the first offensive undrafted free agent in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Fourth-round wideout Keke Coutee was a significant contributor for a Houston Texans team that won the AFC South.

It's admittedly an uphill struggle for any of the Day 3 picks and undrafted free agents listed here to have that sort of rookie impact. Quite a few won't make the 53-man rosters—that's just the reality of being a late-round draft pick.

But these rookies have the talent to take advantage of a situation that puts them in position to do more than just make the team. They can make contributions relatively early in their careers.

Los Angeles Rams: DT Greg Gaines
  1. 4d79170190ca87e2ff4bb6defccc8797_crop_exact.jpg

Rams defensive line coach Eric Henderson thinks Greg Gaines, a 6'1", 312-pounder out of Washington who the Rams took in the fourth round, has the potential to be that nose tackle.

"He did a really good job in the Senior Bowl where those seniors play against some of the top competition against guys that will be drafted into the NFL," he said, via Myles Simmons of the team's website. "To see a guy like that productive in Senior Bowl situations, as well as what he did at Washington, I think that's a huge huge statement being voted by his college peers as one of the top defensive linemen in the Pac 12—I think that's a big deal."

Gaines isn't the most athletic player, but he's hard-nosed and has a high motor. And he will be afforded the opportunity to make his presence known from Day 1.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tenacity is Gaines greatest asset and IMO, he's more effective in the 1st and 4th quarters because in the 1st quarter, he catches you off guard and beats you off the snap and in the 4th quarter, he wears you down and then defeats you because of his condition as many of us know, fatigue makes cowards of us all!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When it comes to rookies, its hard to say who makes the most impact. It depends on how fast they pick up the speed of the NFL game and the scheme's they're in. Gaines has as good a shot as any because he'll be playing a position where there is no established incumbent.

A guy like Rapp could too. His versatility might give him an advantage of seeing more time on the field. Then, there is also Henderson who's capable of breaking off big plays. I like Long a lot. But I'm not sure how much playing time he will see behind Talib and Peters.

Again, it depends on how fast they pick up the nuances of their position against higher level competition. I see good running backs standing on the sideline because they still haven't figured out the blitzers.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I really like this rookie class. For me Gaines starts so he has an advantage because he actually plays, but I think Henderson has the best chance if he gets opportunities because the offense is so strong. You add what Henderson can do to such a multi faceted and dangerous offense and he can shine because you can't cover everyone or scheme for him as a RB.