Predict the 53

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IMO Cunningham seemed lost running his routes as well and maybe that also factored in to why he dropped so many balls. Bayer is able to separate from coverage and has great hands and does offer something extra from a special team standpoint because he can long snap in case of an injury to McQuaide.

In fact if Kendricks was not resigned I felt Bayer would get on the field more, IMO, Bayer should improve as a blocker and beat out Cunningham again, but it's not going to be easy, because I have a feeling Boras loves Cunningham and I have no information to support my opinion just seems they keep bringing him back.
I think you may be under estimating Cunningham's athleticism. Once he got on the field in training camp last year, he surprised me in that he actually has better hands than I expected. Not sure what you are basing your comments reagrding him "dropping so many balls",

I agree that Bayer is the better receiver. I acknowledged that already. But to say he "should imprive as a blocker" sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else. I would expect that Kendricks is going to be counted on more as a receiver than blocker, which is why I would think Cunningham would have more value as the additional blocker, backing up Harkey.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would expect that Kendricks is going to be counted on more as a receiver than blocker, which is why I would think Cunningham would have more value as the additional blocker, backing up Harkey.
I can't help but wonder, wouldn't Brodine have been a better blocker than Cunningham, because of his DE experience!?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I can't help but wonder, wouldn't Brodine have been a better blocker than Cunningham, because of his DE experience!?
not at all. Brodine just wasn't very physical, and I think that was part of the reason he was asked to switch positions. If we are looking for the "best blocker" of the remaining group, that might just be Brad Smelley.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
O Not sure what you are basing your comments reagrding him "dropping so many balls",

But to say he "should imprive as a blocker" sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else. I would expect that Kendricks is going to be counted on more as a receiver than blocker, which is why I would think Cunningham would have more value as the additional blocker, backing up Harkey.

Did you forget the preseason last year? Cunningham dropped everything thrown to him, it was downright embarrassing after a while whereas Bayer excelled especially with some catches down the field with significant gains.

As to Bayer's blocking? Not wishful thinking just an area where he needed to improve. Maybe you're right on Cunningham being more athletic, but Bayer's blocking was far better than Cunningham's ability to catch the ball and separate from coverage. It will be another position that will be fun to see how it plays out.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Did you forget the preseason last year? Cunningham dropped everything thrown to him, it was downright embarrassing after a while whereas Bayer excelled especially with some catches down the field with significant gains.

As to Bayer's blocking? Not wishful thinking just an area where he needed to improve. Maybe you're right on Cunningham being more athletic, but Bayer's blocking was far better than Cunningham's ability to catch the ball and separate from coverage. It will be another position that will be fun to see how it plays out.
I dont put much stock in Cunningham's drops. yes, he had some bad ones. But he was hurt throughout the entire training camp, and preseason. And lest we forget how Kendricks suffered thru a rookie season with drops, and now he is coinsidered to have the best hands of any of the TEs.

For what I think they are looking for out of the 4th TE, it will not be about being a threat in the passing game. The key for me, is how they intend on using Kendricks this year. If they intend on returning him to his role as an "H-back" and get him more involved in the running game, then I can see why you can make a case for Bayer, adn his being a better option as a pass catcher. But if they are thinking of Kendricks as more of an option as a receiver, than IMO, Cunningham makes more sense.

I agree, that this will be one position that should be interesting as training camp gets underway. The other thing than I find to be intriguing. In most cases, the players being discussed on here are the guys at the bottom of the roster. We have threads devoted to the 5th WR, or who the 9th or 10th Offensive Linemen might be. Or who will be kept because of Special Teams?

That tells me, that this organization has come a long way regarding the make up of the roster. We no longer are hoping that some diamond in the rough UDFA will emerge to fill a major hole in the starting lineup on either side of the ball.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Cunningham not only makes the team but I think he plays.

Blocking is hard. It's a skill. And while I do remember him having the dropsies - I also remember him moving people.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Cunningham not only makes the team but I think he plays.

Blocking is hard. It's a skill. And while I do remember him having the dropsies - I also remember him moving people.

Do you remember Beyer making some great catches and leading the Rams in receiving yards in preseason too?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That tells me, that this organization has come a long way regarding the make up of the roster. We no longer are hoping that some diamond in the rough UDFA will emerge to fill a major hole in the starting lineup on either side of the ball.

Very true Coach and let's hope that remains the theme during training camp and preseason and the Rams finally walk away healthy with the roster in tact for September.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Do you remember Beyer making some great catches and leading the Rams in receiving yards in preseason too?

Yes. And I like the kid.

But if I'm choosing between player A who is a plus blocker but a bit of a liability catching the ball versus player B who is a plus receiving threat but struggles sustaining blocks - and especially if I'm picking for this Rams team - I'm taking the blocker.

I'm willing to change my mind though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Ram Org is expecting Lance Kendricks to play a much bigger role in blocking from the LOS TE post of the move or H-back position & WAM blocks they will be very happy!:D Justice Cunningham has a future with this Ram offense as a back up for Cory Harkey.

If they are expecting Lance to play a heavier major role in pass receiving department :unsure:in place of an Alex Bayer .....well they will end up @ Cape Disappointment :notsure:!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think Lance is a baller myself - and I think his best football is ahead of him.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Lance is a baller myself - and I think his best football is ahead of him.
Lance is a guy that always shows up, but people seem to forget about him. Solid blocker AND he led the team in TD's last year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
During contract negotiations, I'm hopeful that Kendricks got on them about using him more down the field vs. those 3-5 yard routes he consistently has run.:mad:

For the love of Mike, what did the team have against seam routes???

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
During contract negotiations, I'm hopeful that Kendricks got on them about using him more down the field vs. those 3-5 yard routes he consistently has run.:mad:

For the love of Mike, what did the team have against seam routes???
Kendricks is really effective on seam routes too. In 2012 he scored twice on deep seam routes, one was against TB for 80 yards.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yes. And I like the kid.

But if I'm choosing between player A who is a plus blocker but a bit of a liability catching the ball versus player B who is a plus receiving threat but struggles sustaining blocks - and especially if I'm picking for this Rams team - I'm taking the blocker.

I'm willing to change my mind though.
I'd love to believe the scouting report that says J.Cunningham is a good blocker but what I saw on the field was not impressive. I've been on a soapbox for a long time wanting a true blocking Y TE (and a true lead FB FWIW) so was watching the TEs last preseason specifically for blocking. To me Bayer, Cunningham and Smelley were equally meh. None set the edge with any domination. All were screen blockers, no push, and inconsistent, letting blocks slip. Harkey was the only one that stood out as an actual good blocker among the TEs.

I'm looking for that TE who will bring the pain and collapse that edge down, but it seems the Rams value the hybrid ability to line a guy up in different spots and aren't looking for a road grader, just a guy who can get in the way seems enough for them. If Bayer can do that pretty much the same as J.Cunningham then he might as well make the team for his better receiving.

ausmurp

Starter
Way too early? Of course it is!

QB: Foles, Mannion
RB: Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Watts
WR: Quick, Britt, Austin, Bailey, Sasser
TE: Cook, Kendricks, Harkey, Cunningham
OL: Grob, Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, Jones, Wichmann, Rhaney, Barnes, Reynolds

My take on the offense:

RB: Mason, Gurley, Cunningham, Brown (Gurley cannot start obviously so Mason is 100% the starter...)
WR: Quick, Britt, Bailey, Austin, Givens, Sasser
TE: Cook, Kendricks, Harkey, Bayer
LT: Robinson, Reynolds
LG: Saffold
C: Jones, Barnes
RG: Donnal, Brown, Wichmann
RT: Havenstein, Baker

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My take on the offense:

RB: Mason, Gurley, Cunningham, Brown (Gurley cannot start obviously so Mason is 100% the starter...)

26 guys on offense means 24 on defense. Doable, I suppose - but it will be interesting to see your final cuts on that side of the ball.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd love to believe the scouting report that says J.Cunningham is a good blocker but what I saw on the field was not impressive. I've been on a soapbox for a long time wanting a true blocking Y TE (and a true lead FB FWIW) so was watching the TEs last preseason specifically for blocking. To me Bayer, Cunningham and Smelley were equally meh. None set the edge with any domination. All were screen blockers, no push, and inconsistent, letting blocks slip. Harkey was the only one that stood out as an actual good blocker among the TEs.

I'm looking for that TE who will bring the pain and collapse that edge down, but it seems the Rams value the hybrid ability to line a guy up in different spots and aren't looking for a road grader, just a guy who can get in the way seems enough for them. If Bayer can do that pretty much the same as J.Cunningham then he might as well make the team for his better receiving.

I don't have any of last year's preseason games anymore so I'm going off of memory - but I remember him showing as a blocker.

In my mind, there was as much seperation as blockers between he and Bayer as there was in their receiving skills.

Maybe one of them will show up this year having closed the gap a bit.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My take on the offense:

I like the way you have your ' Skill positions' set up, but I have to do some thinking about your 'O-Line'! I would definitely prefer to "Flip the way you have your OG's set up!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
To me Bayer, Cunningham and Smelley were equally meh. None set the edge with any domination. All were screen blockers, no push, and inconsistent, letting blocks slip. Harkey was the only one that stood out as an actual good blocker among the TEs.
And the one thing they all have in common?

They are competing for the FOURTH TE spot on the roster. No one is expecting them to be much more than depth at the position. To think they somehow need to be a complete TE is unrealistic.