Pre-Combine Mock ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Alright, I couldn't stand the wait any longer, and being just hours away from the official start of this off-seasons Combine, I offer one more mock before the media pundits make their predictions and the sparq scores have us all second-guessing ourselves.

OK, took this one in a bit of a different direction, ... as you will soon see, 3 of my 4 free agent acquisitions are defensive players, the draft consists of 4 new offensive players and 3 for the defense. Since the Peters trade is now behind us, I won't dwell on that bit of great news, but I do offer a second trade because we will have received another RG to take his place long term, eliminating one potential future problem for the 2019 free agency period. Our #23 pick in the 1'st round is an instant starter for the OL and settles the Center position for at least the next 5 years, this also settles any negative situation arising due to health/age worries going forward with Sully, ... and again, losing another offensive lineman any time soon from free agency. If Billy Price is even close to what Dallas is getting out of Travis Frederick, and playing between Saffold & Norwell, this OL will be top 5. We also pick-up two small school OT's for Whitworth to train, experiment with, and bend some wills.

Following the Marcus Peters pick-up, the Rams now have approximately $40mil. of available CAP, including the deduction from signing our new draft class. The two CAP Casualties, Barron & Austin, along with the traded Jamon Brown will bring our available CAP space up to about $51mil. Re-signing Watkins, Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Easley & McQuaide shouldn't cost much above a $30mil. on average, although as usual, Watkins, Joyner & Robey-Coleman will be heavily discounted in the first year of their contracts, as well will be Norwell, Davis & Jones, so staying under the CAP should not be an issue. Easley is more likely to get a one or two year contract based on his physical.
For a future CAP Casualty or trade loss (2019), Quinn will be approaching near $13.mil in salary, i'm guessing he'll be traded prior to our entering the 2019 season, if not this one. This being Saffold's 'contract' year prior to entering free agency, i'm suspecting we'll lose him as he seeks his wealth with another team, he almost escaped us when leaving for that short rendezvous with Oakland. Whitworth is a little tougher to figure, especially if the Rams bring home a trophy, will he retire, or will he decide to put his body on the line one last time ? Webster could also easily be lost for 2019, so adding Donald to our very expensive column on our 2019 CAP listings should also squeeze in nicely.

Traded : Rams 2018 4'th round draft pick & 2019 2'nd rd.pick for K.C. CB Marcus Peters & a 2018 6'th.
Traded : Jamon Brown to the Jets for a 4'th round pick
CAP Cut : Austin & Barron.
Re-sign : Watkins, Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Easley (if healthy) & McQuaide.
Tender all RFA's, ERFA's (Longacre, Hill, D.Williams, M. Brown, Lynch, etc.).

Let walk - Tru Johnson, Connor Barwin, Lance Dunbar, Cody Davis, Derek Carrier, Tyrunn Walker

Free agency signings (4) :

CB2 - Aquib Talib (Denver) - 32, 2 years - $15mil.
RG - Andrew Norwell (Carolina) - 26, 5 years - $60.mil
ILB - Todd Davis (Denver) - 25, 4 years - 16 mil.
NT - Da'Quan Jones (Tennessee ) - 26, 4 years - 16 mil.

2018 Draft :

1.23) OC/OG - Billy Price, Oh.St.
3.87) OLB - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Ok.
4.107) (From NYJ) CB - Kameron Kelly, San Diego State
5.160) RB - Mark Walton, Miami
6.194) QB - Kurt Benkert, Va.
6.195) S - Trayvon Henderson, Hawaii
6.196) OT/OG - Alex Cappa, Hum.St.
6.197) OT/OG - Greg Senat, Wagner

When was the last time a team had 4 draft picks in a row ?

The 53 :

Offense (25) :

QB) Goff, Mannion, Benkert
RB) Gurley, M. Brown, Walton
FB) Rogers
WR) Watkins, Reynolds, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Thomas
TE) Higbee, Everett, Hemingway
LT) Whitworth, Lucas, Cappa
LG) Saffold, Blythe
C) Price, Blythe
RG) Norwell, Cappa, Senat
RT) Havenstein, Lucas, Senat

Defense (25) :

LDE) Brockers, Easley, Fox
NT) Jones, Westbrooks
RDE) Donald, Westbrooks, Fox
LOLB) Ebukam, Okoronkwo
ILB) Davis, Hager
ILB) Ogletree, Littleton, Lynch or Sickels
ROLB) Quinn, Longacre
FS) Joyner, Henderson
SS) John Johnson, Isaiah Johnson
CB) Peters, Talib, Webster, Robey-Coleman, Kelly, Hill

Special Teams (3)

K) Zuerlein
P) Hekker
LS) McQuaide

jmo.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I think we can get a higher draft pick for Jamon Brown. I like your free agent pick ups though.

Don't know enough about the college players to really give a say on the draft.

But I will give a like.

TexasRam

Legend
700full.jpg

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
You beat me to it. I had considered trading Brown as well. His value should be pretty good after last season.
I just wanted to check out the draft possibilities available first to replace him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not specifically for the OP, but what is everyone's obsession with drafting a QB in the late rounds? You can draft OL/DL/LB or even CB and they can play special teams or maybe even eventually become a starter. I get that you can hit on a late round QB, but odds are against it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not specifically for the OP, but what is everyone's obsession with drafting a QB in the late rounds? You can draft OL/DL/LB or even CB and they can play special teams or maybe even eventually become a starter. I get that you can hit on a late round QB, but odds are against it.

The Rams HC is somewhat of a QB whisperer, having a developmental guy under him makes sense. Also, consider that Mannion becomes a free agent in a year from now (2019), so we need to start looking for his eventual replacement. It's not an obsession, it's staying on top of your roster. jmo.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams HC is somewhat of a QB whisperer, having a developmental guy under him makes sense. Also, consider that Mannion becomes a free agent in a year from now (2019), so we need to start looking for his eventual replacement. It's not an obsession, it's staying on top of your roster. jmo.

I'm fine with adding a QB - never believed in the "developmental guy". Success rate is probably the lowest of any draft position. Taking a higher QB like we did with Mannion is fine IMO - but drafting guys in the 6th or 7th round feels like flushing a draft pick down the toilet to me

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been watching film of Billy Price since he's reportedly a super smart guy on line calls and I recognize that will appeal greatly to the Rams. He's a really good player and plug n play starter, but for me is a selection I'd have to live with versus a selection I want to see happen. IMO they need to take a special player there, and just not sold Price is that. He looks like a round 2 guy to my eye at least, don't see big dropoff from him to so many others that will be there for the Rams in rounds 3 or 5.

Now that aside going out and getting Norwell and moving Brown is an interesting combination. I'd be all for that, even though I think it's more likely they try to lock up Hav and then maybe Brown depending on how discussions go with their agents. To go a little further into this...

Basically from now until beginning of the 2019 season the Rams need all 5 OL positions solved.

Signing Norwell and drafting Price solves 2/5 OL positions, leaving LT, RG (Norwell is better on the left side), and RT needing the 2019 offseason.

Signing both Havenstein & Brown is undoubtedly what they'll initially try to do, and they will probably only get one of them but if they do manage to get both locked down that would be preferable to top dollar for Norwell because now they have 2/5 solved before the draft and one can assume they can fill Center midrounds. And if they get lucky maybe they find a OG too.

LT will be the 2019 draft IMO, and the Rams will need to move up to go get their guy. So in all this I think 2/5 solved this offseason would be good/acceptable, but 3/5 is probably preferred. Then next season draft their LT and the line will be good to go for the most part.

Also, and irt looking at a line in terms of optimum pieces... 2/5 is the minimum IMO for a good unit (GSoT had Pace and Timmerman). Last year's line had 2/5 (Whit and Saff). Next year's line might not have Whit playing at a optimum level, so from that perspective the Rams might be more prioritized on the OL than many (including myself) think.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've been watching film of Billy Price since he's reportedly a super smart guy on line calls and I recognize that will appeal greatly to the Rams. He's a really good player and plug n play starter, but for me is a selection I'd have to live with versus a selection I want to see happen. IMO they need to take a special player there, and just not sold Price is that. He looks like a round 2 guy to my eye at least, don't see big dropoff from him to so many others that will be there for the Rams in rounds 3 or 5.

Now that aside going out and getting Norwell and moving Brown is an interesting combination. I'd be all for that, even though I think it's more likely they try to lock up Hav and then maybe Brown depending on how discussions go with their agents. To go a little further into this...

Basically from now until beginning of the 2019 season the Rams need all 5 OL positions solved.

Signing Norwell and drafting Price solves 2/5 OL positions, leaving LT, RG (Norwell is better on the left side), and RT needing the 2019 offseason.

Signing both Havenstein & Brown is undoubtedly what they'll initially try to do, and they will probably only get one of them but if they do manage to get both locked down that would be preferable to top dollar for Norwell because now they have 2/5 solved before the draft and one can assume they can fill Center midrounds. And if they get lucky maybe they find a OG too.

LT will be the 2019 draft IMO, and the Rams will need to move up to go get their guy. So in all this I think 2/5 solved this offseason would be good/acceptable, but 3/5 is probably preferred. Then next season draft their LT and the line will be good to go for the most part.

Also, and irt looking at a line in terms of optimum pieces... 2/5 is the minimum IMO for a good unit (GSoT had Pace and Timmerman). Last year's line had 2/5 (Whit and Saff). Next year's line might not have Whit playing at a optimum level, so from that perspective the Rams might be more prioritized on the OL than many (including myself) think.

I understand many will be reluctant to drafting an OC with our #23 pick, but as you mentioned, it settles a problem along the OL for 5 years, same as Norwell will do as an OG. I have Norwell likely sliding over to LG in 2019 following Saffold's departure, with another draftee next year taking on the RG position. If I thought a potential & eventual replacement LT was available with our 1'st pick, i'd reconsider, but right now I have Billy Price as the top offensive lineman where we will pick, and if I thought his equal were to become available to us in the 2'nd round, i'd have traded this pick down. Iowa's James Daniels would have been my first choice, but i'm assuming he'll be gone at #23. Price or Daniels playing between Saffold and Norwell almost seems unfair to the opposition, but I like those images in my head. The Rams are in a bit of a bind when it comes to future free agency and retirements, anytime following this season we could lose the entire unit, so this is my first step towards resolving the quality factor long term. It appears the Rams won't have a 2'nd round draft pick next year either, so trading up in the draft is already looking impracticable, maybe we get lucky though. Like Travis Frederick measured a few years back, most of his fellow team-mates believe he is the strongest guy on his team, guess we'll know that in a couple days when he lifts at the Combine.

Billy Price could be the best center prospect of the last decade
Not a lot of centers get taken in the first round. Price could be one of the rare ones.
By Meredith Hein@MeredithHein Dec 18, 2017, 6:31pm ESTSHARE
usa_today_10442112.0.jpg
Joe Maiorana-USA TODAY Sports
“I recently studied Buckeyes senior Billy Price and he’s one of the best center prospects I’ve seen in the past decade.”
-NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah, via Stephen Pianovich, Land of 10
Ohio State fans are familiar with the skills of offensive lineman Billy Price, and now, after Price won the Rimington Trophy as the nation’s best center and was selected as a first-team All-American, the rest of the nation is as well. The fifth-year senior is preparing for his 55th-straight start as a Buckeye in the Cotton Bowl later this month, but soon after, Price will be a hot commodity at next spring’s NFL Draft as one of the top offensive linemen in the nation.

“He has tremendous upper body torque, quick feet and outstanding awareness,” said Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com of the Ohio State prospect, who he considers one of the best center prospects in recent years. Jeremiah went on to say that he gave Price the same rating he did for Nick Mangold prior to the 2006 draft when Mangold was selected in the first round by the New York Jets.

Price followed in the footsteps of Pat Elflein, who moved from guard to center prior to his senior season at Ohio State, won the Rimington Trophy and was ultimately selected in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings. Jeremiah acknowledged that Price looks better on his tape from Ohio State than Elflein did a year ago.

Ohio State currently has two starting centers in the NFL: Elflein and Corey Linsley of the Green Bay Packers. Elflein has had an outstanding rookie year with the Vikings, having earned the starting spot back in training camp.

While there is a lot of buzz surrounding Price, there have not been a lot of centers selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. Just nine centers have gone in the first round since 2000, including Mangold in 2006. Most recently, the Indianapolis Colts selected Ryan Kelly from Alabama with the 18th-overall pick in 2016.

2018 NFL Draft prospect profile: Billy Price, OC/OG, Ohio State
Price is talented and versatile. Could he be part of the Giants’ future on the offensive line?
By Chris Pflum Feb 26, 2018, 11:00am ESTSHARE
usa_today_10551790.0.jpg
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
It is a foregone conclusion that the New York Giants will invest considerable resources into rebuilding their offensive line. As it stands now, every position to the right of the left tackle is open, and they might need as many as four new starters compared to the line that opened for them in September of 2017, as well as depth behind them.

So, it would behoove the Giants to not only look for talent in rebuilding their line, but versatility and value as well.

Ohio State center Billy Price not only fits Dave Gettleman’s physical mold for offensive linemen, but potentially offers both schematic and positional versatility to aid in their rebuild.

Measurables
Height - 6 feet, 4 inches (listed)

Weight - 312 pounds (listed)

Pros
  • Powerful blocker. Easily absorbs bull rushes and blitzes, and routinely generates movement in the power run game.
  • Plays with a wide base and good leverage. Generally keeps his hips and pads low.
  • Solid hand usage. Works to establish his hands inside their shoulders and push lunging defenders to the ground. Finishes his blocks.
  • Shows good movement skills working to the second level or when pulling.
  • Athletic enough to run outside zone plays.
  • Works off double teams well and generally deals with stunts and twists well.
  • Versatile, could play guard as well as center at the next level.
Cons
  • Isn’t consistent blocking in space. Sometimes misses his target and is left blocking nobody.
  • Occasionally caught unaware by delayed blitzes.
  • Can struggle with athletic interior defenders if he loses the hand battle.
Prospect Video
What They’re Saying

SOURCES TELL US

“Man he is a different kind of guy altogether. Has a lot of edge for sure. Love his toughness and his grit and wait until you see him at the combine. He might hit 40 on the bench and he’s going to run well too.” -- AFC team pro personnel director

NFL COMPARISON

LeCharles Bentley

Final Thoughts
There is a lot to like about Billy Price.

Personally, I have him as my top-rated center because I believe he can play in man-gap, inside zone, and outside zone schemes, and coming from Ohio State, you know he is well prepared for the NFL.

Adding to his value, I think he has the potential to be one of the top guards in the class as well as center -- in fact, that might even be his best position if the team that drafts him primarily uses outside zone runs. His raw power and aggression will translate well to guard, and though he isn’t as nimble as James Daniels (in this draft class) or Weston Richburg, Price has excellent feet for a guard.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I like the Price pick. Keeps the pocket clean for our boy Goff. Will be hard to pass up a dynamic pass rusher though. Would love to see our board.

Great mock!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm fine with adding a QB - never believed in the "developmental guy". Success rate is probably the lowest of any draft position. Taking a higher QB like we did with Mannion is fine IMO - but drafting guys in the 6th or 7th round feels like flushing a draft pick down the toilet to me

Yet occasionally a guy like Brady gets drafted in the 6'th round and someone like Kurt Warner goes completely undrafted. These aren't the only stories of late round QB's who have had long NFL careers.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like the Price pick. Keeps the pocket clean for our boy Goff. Will be hard to pass up a dynamic pass rusher though. Would love to see our board.

Great mock!

Thanks.
Yeah, Tremaine Edmunds was my guy, but racing up the chart these last few weeks pretty much kills that idea. Still, an OL made up of Whitworth, Saffold, Price, Norwell & Havenstein should truly unleash Goff & Gurley, and a great way to begin the rebuild of an OL where all 5 starters from last years line-up could come undone all too quickly in 2019. jmo.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet occasionally a guy like Brady gets drafted in the 6'th round and someone like Kurt Warner goes completely undrafted. These aren't the only stories of late round QB's who have had long NFL careers.

I think it's safe to say we found our QB of the future. We'll have to agree to disagree - I think it's a wasted pick that could yield a more impactful player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand many will be reluctant to drafting an OC with our #23 pick, but as you mentioned, it settles a problem along the OL for 5 years, same as Norwell will do as an OG. I have Norwell likely sliding over to LG in 2019 following Saffold's departure, with another draftee next year taking on the RG position. If I thought a potential & eventual replacement LT was available with our 1'st pick, i'd reconsider, but right now I have Billy Price as the top offensive lineman where we will pick, and if I thought his equal were to become available to us in the 2'nd round, i'd have traded this pick down. Iowa's James Daniels would have been my first choice, but i'm assuming he'll be gone at #23. Price or Daniels playing between Saffold and Norwell almost seems unfair to the opposition, but I like those images in my head. The Rams are in a bit of a bind when it comes to future free agency and retirements, anytime following this season we could lose the entire unit, so this is my first step towards resolving the quality factor long term. It appears the Rams won't have a 2'nd round draft pick next year either, so trading up in the draft is already looking impracticable, maybe we get lucky though. Like Travis Frederick measured a few years back, most of his fellow team-mates believe he is the strongest guy on his team, guess we'll know that in a couple days when he lifts at the Combine.

It's good to hear your take on him River. I'm certainly no expert on OL play, it's probably the position group I have the hardest time with and LT in particular vex me.

But overall if you look at LTs the key is taking them in the first couple rounds. After that they're hard to find looking around the league, so that's the range you gotta look at. When I say the Rams can move up and get their guy I am not talking moving up to 1 or anything crazy, rather just assuming that they will position if they need to in order to ensure they get the OT they want within reason.

They could of course go after LT this year IF there's a guy they like. But I think their draft slot and this class work against them, not to mention that Big Whit was pretty damn good for us last year. IMO rolling the dice on LT this year with Big Whit is an acceptable strategy as long as they go get what they need to retool at least 2 or 3 of the positions now in some combination of FA signings, re-signings, and the draft.

And trade down is a very real possibility too, adding a round 3 pick that might be another starter for us on the line or whatever else they need.

So anyway if it's Price I'll get behind it and root for the dude. Just would concern me, that it would represent a reach of a lesser player over some better defenders. I'd understand it, of course, but meh.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's good to hear your take on him River. I'm certainly no expert on OL play, it's probably the position group I have the hardest time with and LT in particular vex me.

But overall if you look at LTs the key is taking them in the first couple rounds. After that they're hard to find looking around the league, so that's the range you gotta look at. When I say the Rams can move up and get their guy I am not talking moving up to 1 or anything crazy, rather just assuming that they will position if they need to in order to ensure they get the OT they want within reason.

They could of course go after LT this year IF there's a guy they like. But I think their draft slot and this class work against them, not to mention that Big Whit was pretty damn good for us last year. IMO rolling the dice on LT this year with Big Whit is an acceptable strategy as long as they go get what they need to retool at least 2 or 3 of the positions now in some combination of FA signings, re-signings, and the draft.

And trade down is a very real possibility too, adding a round 3 pick that might be another starter for us on the line or whatever else they need.

So anyway if it's Price I'll get behind it and root for the dude. Just would concern me, that it would represent a reach of a lesser player over some better defenders. I'd understand it, of course, but meh.

Whenever/wherever CAP availability allows, I tend to look towards free agency to fill 'need' positions similar to those defensive areas you have alluded to, not only because F/A comes first, but the draft is more of a crap-shoot, waiting and hoping your 'guy' actually makes it to where you pick.
The Rams would have to be exceptionally lucky to land an instant LT starter at #23 in this draft imo, and even if we did he'd most likely have to play out of position in 2018 just to get him on the line somewhere. Seems more likely we'd see a developmental LT that might play a swing or reserve role this next season. I would love to bring Sully back for a year or two, but this doesn't resolve the overall problem with an OL which could disappear in its entirety following this season, although it may delay the inevitable at Center for a year or two. My main OL goals are to offer Goff the best available protection going forward, and unleashing Gurley to raise havoc.
Trading down from 23 also appears a likely outcome for this draft, it might get us a 2'nd & 3'rd in 2018, or a 2'nd in 2018 and replace the 2'nd in 2019 which was lost in the Peters trade. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams would have to be exceptionally lucky to land an instant LT starter at #23 in this draft imo, and even if we did he'd most likely have to play out of position in 2018 just to get him on the line somewhere. Seems more likely we'd see a developmental LT that might play a swing or reserve role this next season. I would love to bring Sully back for a year or two, but this doesn't resolve the overall problem with an OL which could disappear in its entirety following this season, although it may delay the inevitable at Center for a year or two.

Exactly. We can all but rule out OT in this draft at 23, barring a reach due to need which I would not want to see. The only OT addressing we might see is a project/swing type, but there's a lot of teams thinking of that in rounds 2-3 with this particular class due to their makeup IMO. It's a tough order so I've pretty much written it off until next year in my expectations at least.

Also agreed on Sully. I like the dude but when you're talking about needing to restack all 5 positions on this OL in this offseason and next offseason, it's a tough order and his addition as you say doesn't solve anything, it's kickin the can down the road. The one long in the tooth guy we're going to have to get behind is Big Whit, no choice there really tbh.

I am sure Les wants to move down from 23. But it's going to be hard to do when he's looking at a CB the quality of Hughes, or either of a couple top ILB types who will be sitting there. Hopefully he'll get a good return for doing so, if that's the route he goes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Two things to add :

1) If we can sign Bashaud Breeland for the same money as Talib, do it.

2) With the Combine announcement that Billy Price may have injured his shoulder while lifting, we may find it a little easier to trade down to a 2'nd and 3'rd round pick and still pick him up. We'll have to wait and see on this one.