Pre-Camp Depth Chart: OFFENSE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Red = FA in 2020
Orange = FA in 2021
Green = Rookies
Contract AAV for 2019 in parenthesis

OFFENSIVE LINE
LT: Whitworth ($11M) > Evans (Rook) > Kaskey (Rook)
LG: Noteboom ($.8M) > Neary (.5M) > Brewer (Rook)
C: Allen ($.7M) > Kolone ($.5) > Hrynkiewicz (Rook)
RG: Blythe ($2M) > Demby ($.5) > Edwards (Rook)
RT: Havenstein ($8M) > Hitner (Rook)

Notes: Of all the position groups this is the one that has the most versatility in terms of who slots where in second string and beyond. Looking at the group it’s pretty clear the audition is open in camp for someone to step up at both LT and RG, in order to provide answers or clarity on what the team’s direction is after the season. The OG2 position, i.e. the first guy off the bench on the interior, is also going to be up for grabs for this rookie class if they can impress the way Boom & Allen did last year. Depth battle is going to be pretty good in terms of making the cut, where McVay has shown he is not going to keep low end OL over other position groups unless they deserve it. I suspect we are going to see either Evans or Edwards (maybe even both) make a push for primary depth positions once the pads come on.

TIGHT END
TE: Higbee ($2M) > Everett ($1.6M) > Mundt ($.5M) > Blanton (Rook) > Brown (Rook)

Notes: I am still surprised the Rams didn’t address TE in the draft. Looking at this group this season as has been discussed is huge for Everett but it’s even bigger for Higs. As things stand Higs is our only TE who can be counted on as a plus blocker in every situation, but the Rams are probably not going to fork over enough cash to keep him off the market for that; he has to show improvement in the passing game i.e. his hands and consistency/dependability. Everett needs to show he can block in camp to be the guy the Rams go with moving forward as an every down TE and if not then he’ll be a passing game slot option with the Rams getting a blocking TE or looking for an all-around TE next offseason. Mundt vs Blanton & Brown looms as a really nice battle so hope those two guys are ready to get dirty in the run game because some blocking ability is a requirement in beating out Mundt.

WIDEOUTS
WR: Woods ($7M) > Reynolds ($.8M) > Greene (Rook)
WR: Cooks ($15M) > Natson ($.6M) > Proehl ($.5M) > Lloyd (Rook)
SLOT: Kupp ($1M) > Hodge ($.5M) > Thomas ($.7M) > Bachman (Rook) > Webster (Rook)

Notes: wideout group looks pretty good and under team control moving forward. These guys get interchanged and all but it’s clear that the Rams’ focus on this unit is going to be slot depth this year in camp. From that perspective I think they are going to take a long look at the rooks as well as some others like Natson and Proehl there, so the slot depth should be a good battle. And I have to think Bachman in particular with his hands and technical routes might have a chance to stick.

RUNNING BACK
RB: Gurley ($9M) > Brown ($2M) > Henderson (Rook) > Davis ($.6M) > Kelly ($.6M)

Notes: Top three here look set, although I think Henderson will very early in camp be our #2 on the depth chart. Kelly has the talent and opportunity in camp to supplant Davis and maybe Brown too, since Brown’s contract has an out after the season.

Think that's everyone. Used the Ourlads site as reference so if I missed anyone let me know.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good catch on Kupp, fixed. Funny how that changes the look of things eh? Particularly if Woods starts makin noise on his contract, in that event someone's gotta go. But for now we do look good.

Re: QBs I didn't put them up because it's Goff > Bortles. Rams will be in the mix for that backup after one season and probably locking up Jared as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Red = FA in 2020
Orange = FA in 2021
Green = Rookies
Contract AAV for 2019 in parenthesis

OFFENSIVE LINE
LT: Whitworth ($11M) > Evans (Rook) > Kaskey (Rook)
LG: Noteboom ($.8M) > Neary (.5M) > Brewer (Rook)
C: Allen ($.7M) > Kolone ($.5) > Hrynkiewicz (Rook)
RG: Blythe ($2M) > Demby ($.5) > Edwards (Rook)
RT: Havenstein ($8M) > Hitner (Rook).
We do know that one position (LT) will utilize one of these reserve OT's much more than the other reserve positions. If Noteboom starts @ OG, he will have his hands full of what it takes to be a starting OG as a first yr starter in the NFL, something brand new for him. I am sure we all understand that Joe Noteboom never started @ OG in college. Expectations that Noteboom will be heavily involved in practices as he was last season replacing the very well-seasoned Whitworth @ LT will not take place, Thus there is a very big need here.

Thus a reserve OT (Bobby Evans/ David Edwards & Matt Kaskey) will sure to see plenty of action in Training Camp, Preseason & during the regular season in weekly practices @ LT post. It's a great opportunity for one of these Ram OL'ers who might have the skills & ability to perform @ LT for Kromer in the NFL, in order to secure his place in the future on this Ram roster as the all-important swing OT.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Any comments on the idea that if Whitworth goes down, Havenstein swings over to LT and they bring a backup in at right tackle?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any comments on the idea that if Whitworth goes down, Havenstein swings over to LT and they bring a backup in at right tackle?

I'm dubious. Havenstein is a good right tackle, but some of his weaknesses make me think the team doesn't consider him a good LT prospect. I think one of the kids is likely to step in if it's for a few plays. If it's longer they'll shift Noteboom there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm dubious. Havenstein is a good right tackle, but some of his weaknesses make me think the team doesn't consider him a good LT prospect. I think one of the kids is likely to step in if it's for a few plays. If it's longer they'll shift Noteboom there.

Agreed. Think Boom is the depth LT for this year but the Rams can't see that as an ideal situation. And the thought of Havenstein on the blindside scares me.

So either one of these kids shows some aptitude for that side or the Rams find themselves in a situation where they need to move up in the draft to ensure they get someone who can. And given where I think we'll be drafting (32nd :D) I have to say it's gonna be a big deal if one of these guys can show something. Have to think "Booby" is our best option there but who knows.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not pro or con about swinging Havenstein over to LT but I am not sure if I'd be any more relaxed about having Noteboom or any other second-year player or rookie player protecting Goff's blind side should Whitworth go down either.

I guess the coaches decision will be based on how good these guys look in Camp.

Interesting, but probably not a coincidence, that Demby, Evans & Edwards all have fairly extensive tackle experience.

Obviously, Tackles are usually the most athletic players on an offensive line and much easier to convert from a tackle to a guard than vice versa.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not pro or con about swinging Havenstein over to LT but I am not sure if I'd be any more relaxed about having Noteboom or any other second-year player or rookie player protecting Goff's blind side should Whitworth go down either.

I guess the coaches decision will be based on how good these guys look in Camp.

Interesting, but probably not a coincidence, that Demby, Evans & Edwards all have fairly extensive tackle experience.

Tackles are usually the most athletic players on an offensive line and much easier to convert from a tackle to a guard than vice versa.

Look at it this way - if they move Havenstein over in the middle of a game, they'll have somebody inexperienced at LT, AND somebody inexperienced at RT. Keeping Havenstein at RT means they'd have an excellent guy there at least.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
But conversely, (and again I'm not pro or con in moving Havenstein over) they might want the more experienced guy protecting Goff's blindside and we know that right tackle would be easier for a rookie or second-year player to pick up than left tackle.

Plus you'd still have Noteboom in the spot where he was training all year.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Not sure his feet can handle the blind side to be honest. Moving him over would create 2 holes imho. Keep Hav at RT and kick Boom outside. let one of the rookies handle the LG spot

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure McVay already stated that unless something changes, Noteboom is the backup LT and they’ll figure out who’s the backup LG