Practice Report 11/18: Can Goff Starting Affect Gurley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1118-Can-Goff-Starting-Affect-Gurley/7c4fc455-a20c-4672-ba18-4cf47061de32

It’s no secret that opposing teams have been making it particularly difficult on the Rams to get anything going in their run game. Week after week, it seems like running back Todd Gurley faces defensive fronts with eight or nine players in the box.

So with quarterback Jared Goff starting on Sunday, could things loosen up a bit for the 2015 Offensive Rookie of the Year?

“That depends on our ability to put the ball down the field — if we’re having success,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “That’s the big deal, offensively, is to put it down the field so we can have balance.”

Gurley said he can remember how he felt prior to his first start last year against Arizona. The running back, of course, had a massive second half en route to a Rams victory.

“It was cool, just being able to play, to live out your dream,” Gurley said. “It’s definitely an exciting moment to just come in and be able to start.”

But regardless of who is behind center, Gurley and Los Angeles’ offense will have a challenge on Sunday, as Miami has been strong against the run — particularly as of late. Last week, they allowed 70 yards on 24 carries to San Diego’s Melvin Gordon. But 37 of those yards — 53 percent — came on two runs where Gordon shook loose. Add in another 13-yard run, and it means the Dolphins held the Chargers to under a yard per carry on 21 attempts. Miami’s defense racked up eight tackles for loss in the 31-24 victory.

“Great front seven — physical front,” Gurley said of Miami’s defense. “Obviously, the D-line is tremendous. Kiko [Alonso] at linebacker, he just makes plays. And their DBs, they can tackle pretty well.”

Nevertheless, the Rams got their own run game going a bit last week against the Jets. While Gurley had only 10 yards on 10 carries in the first half, things started clicking in the second, as he racked up 54 yards on 11 attempts.

“I believe he had 21 carries and the first half wasn’t pretty,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said this week. “I don’t know what his yards per carry was in the first half, but our defense again is playing lights out and it allowed us to hand the ball off in the second half.

“His yards per carry went up, we saw some 8, 9, 10, 12-yard gains there and that’s what we expect in the run game,” Boras continued. “It took us a half to get there, we’re hoping to build off that momentum and carry it over to the first half this week against a really good defense with Miami.”

If the Rams are able to do so on Sunday, it will be in large part because of the players up front. Boras said the offensive line played well in the second half, opening up some running lanes for both Gurley and Benny Cunningham.

“There were some really good examples in the run game with our double teams and our fits and getting to the second level, it was really well done,” Boras said. “It was well-blocked and Todd and Benny took advantage of it.”

QUINN FULLY PARTICIPATES IN FRIDAY’S PRACTICE

Defensive end Robert Quinn participated in his first practice of the week on Friday, after a non-football illness left him hospitalized on Monday. Quinn said after the session the illness was brought on by dehydration.

“Drink more water — simple as that,” Quinn said of what the doctors told him.

While Quinn maybe would have liked to get back to practicing sooner, he gave credit to those who are making sure he’s 100 percent before getting back on the field.

“The trainers here and doctors here, they take extra precaution to make sure the players health and safety is … as best as it can,” Quinn said. “But we just took it one day at a time. Luckily, I was able to go out there today, run around a little bit, get moving around. Feeling better, just taking it one day at a time, and hopefully just feel like my old self.”

It’s still unclear whether or not Quinn will play on Sunday. He’s listed as questionable after a full session on Friday.

“We’re talking about it. I don’t know exactly how it’s going to play out. I was able to get out there today. I think it’s going to come down to the doctors and, of course, Fisher, and then ultimately how I feel. And hopefully I can get out there on Sunday and be somewhat productive. But if not, well, the guys have to rally up and keep it going.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams have six players listed on this week’s injury report, none of whom have been ruled out for Sunday.

Center Tim Barnes (foot) did not participate in Friday’s session, but he’s listed as questionable. Barnes did not practice Wednesday and would not have practiced on Thursday, according to the estimate.

Defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (ankle), defensive end Robert Quinn (illness), defensive end Eugene Sims (concussion) all were full participants in Friday’s practice and are listed as questionable.

Gurley (thigh) was limited in Friday’s practice and is questionable. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson (illness) did not participate in Friday’s session, but is expected to play on Sunday.

“Trumaine was ill today, but he’ll be fine,” Fisher said.

ROSTER MOVES

The Rams made a few roster moves on Friday, bolstering depth.

Wide receiver Nelson Spruce, who has been sidelined by a calf injury, was placed on injured reserve. Defensive back Blake Countess has been promoted from the practice squad to the active roster and defensive end Lenny Jones was signed to the practice squad.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know about you guys but, to me, Gurley doesn't seem very enthused to be playing on this team. Doesn't really seem to give a shit about anything the media asked him about. You'd think the guy would show some kind of enthusiasm or optimism now that Goff is starting. He just gives off a really negative vibe, at least to me. I'm sure some (many) of you will disagree.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I don't disagree at all.
That said, the questions he gets (keeps getting) asked, are beyond moronic.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't know about you guys but, to me, Gurley doesn't seem very enthused to be playing on this team. Doesn't really seem to give a crap about anything the media asked him about. You'd think the guy would show some kind of enthusiasm or optimism now that Goff is starting. He just gives off a really negative vibe, at least to me. I'm sure some (many) of you will disagree.

The vibe I got was similar.

Does he know something we don't or is he being respectful to CK?

It was the first time I would say he was less than enthusiastic so I wouldn't paint him with your broad brush yet. He's struggling, the team has a losing record, there's a new QB, lots of reasons he could be down or low key.

If I hadn't bet all of my ROD$ on the Rams win this week, I would bet he tops 100 yards.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That was an odd Gurley interview. (n)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Former Nevada lineman Lenny Jones signs with Rams practice squad
BY BRYAN SAMUDIO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18TH 2016
e692c2e7-02dd-489b-85ef-71a71884f27b-large16x9_LennyJones.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams have signed former University of Nevada defensive end Lenny Jones to their practice squad. Jones confirmed the move with KRNV Sports Director Bryan Samudio Friday evening. The Bay Area native spent time with the Oakland Raiders and the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted free agent after his senior season at Nevada in 2015.

http://mynews4.com/sports/content/lenny-jones-signs-with-rams-practice-squad

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click link below to watch videos of Todd Gurley.
https://theringer.com/can-todd-gurleys-season-be-saved-b512e04be16c#.u0eoeslfp

Can Todd Gurley’s Season Be Saved?
The Rams have changed QBs, but it’s their RB that needs a jump-start
By Robert Mays

1*9WSDDkvcQvxNQMSSnIVdtQ.jpeg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

The answer to “How much Case Keenum is too much Case Keenum?”has finally arrived. Jared Goff, the no. 1 pick in the 2016 draft and a player for whom the Rams traded six picks, the pink slip to Jeff Fisher’s car, and the Ark of the Covenant, will start his first NFL game on Sunday against Miami.

Goff takes over an offense that’s been downright horrid the past two seasons. After finishing 29th in both scoring offense (17.5 points per game) and offensive DVOA in 2015, Fisher’s team has somehow been worse upon moving to L.A. The Rams, dead last in points per game (15.4) and 30th in offensive DVOA, have played three games in which they haven’t scored an offensive touchdown. As a reward for their patience, fans in Southern California have been bludgeoned with the most unwatchable team in football.

To say nothing of how long it took Goff to displace Keenum, the design and infrastructure of the Rams offense should temper any early expectations for the rookie. The goal of the next seven games — aside from satiating an increasingly restless mob in the Coliseum — should not only be for Goff to accrue some game-speed experience, but also to prevent him from being infected by the stink of the Rams offense.

Even if Goff can become the focal point of L.A.’s offense down the line, the Rams aren’t built for that to happen anytime soon. Everything still runs through Todd Gurley. And along with providing an ember that might restart the fire for the downfield passing game, the hope for Goff is that his early returns could ignite the offense enough to give Gurley new life.

Because watching the Rams offense is now the type of punishment normally reserved for the deepest circles of hell, it’s easy to forget the phenomenon Gurley was early in his rookie season. Five games into his career, he already looked like one of the better running backs in the NFL. From Week 4 to Week 8 — when his workload increased after he returned to health following the ACL injury suffered in his final season at Georgia — he averaged 6.43 yards per carry.

Since that stretch, though, it’s been a slog on the ground for both Gurley and the Rams’ running game. Over his past 16 games, Gurley is averaging just 3.44 yards per carry. Nine games into this season, he’s averaging 3.08. For players with at least 297 carries (Gurley’s current pace), it would be the second-worst mark since the merger.

Because the Rams offense must destroy anything beautiful, the excitement that Gurley brought early in his career is all but gone. The Rams’ eventual fortunes likely hinge on Goff’s performance, but figuring out whether the Gurley we saw last October is lurking just beneath the surface is just as pressing a concern.

Any dive into Gurley’s struggles this year has to start with the Rams’ play up front. For the second straight season, the Rams have an offensive line that ranks near the bottom of the league. With every passing week, hope for improvement from left tackle Greg Robinson — the no. 2 pick in the 2014 draft — dwindles further. Although there are some bright spots (left guard Rodger Saffold remains a solid starter and right tackle Rob Havenstein can be a sentient skyscraper in the running game), this is a group that’s routinely outmanned.

The conventional wisdom regarding Gurley’s struggles is that with a leaky offensive line and defenses free to stack the box and dare the quarterback to beat them, the Rams’ running game is often dead on arrival. That shows up both on film and in the numbers.

0*5OpG0switul2iDpe.

There isn’t much any back can do when six members of an opposing defense are playing in his backfield. According to Pro Football Focus, Gurley is averaging a ridiculous 2.2 of his 3.1 yards per carry after contact and has gained a silly 70.3 percent of his yardage after being hit.

The problem with attributing Gurley’s cratering to poor blocking is that this offense looks almost identical to the supporting cast Gurley had when he was torching defenses early last year. Keenum took over for Nick Foles 10 games into the 2015 season, but that was a lateral move from one anemic passing game to another.

Along the offensive line, there’s a chance the Rams have actually been better this season. After injuries forced them to shuffle players and positions at times last year, only one member of the Rams’ starting five has missed a game this fall. The running lanes still don’t exist, but for Gurley, at least it’s the evil he knows.

What made Gurley virtually unstoppable during his first four career starts is that he was able to conjure massive gains that didn’t seem possible. Look at the play above, a 48-yard romp against the Browns last October. Linebacker Karlos Dansby (no. 56) meets Gurley square in the hole about a yard deep into the backfield, but somehow, Gurley finds a tiny crease back the other way and makes the first of two devastating cuts.

Watching all of Gurley’s carries this year, it’s those spectacular plays that are missing. Even at his best, Gurley wasn’t chewing out yards and first downs as a rookie. He ranked 36th among 44 qualified backs in Football Outsiders’ success rate, a sign that a good chunk of his production came on a few huge runs. And it did. Gurley had seven carries of at least 30 yards last season, and those runs made up 339 of his 1,106 total — more than 30 percent.

Through nine games this year, Gurley doesn’t have a single carry of more than 30 yards. Shit, he doesn’t have a carry of more than 20. A measly 18-yard gain against the Panthers two weeks ago has been the longest run of Gurley’s season. On the year, he has 10 runs of at least 10 yards. That’s the same number as Jacquizz Rodgers, who has 79 fewer carries.

So, if the blocking is no less putrid and the passing game is just as hapless, the only factor left is Gurley himself. And in watching this year’s tape, the answer seems to be — distressingly — that there is a difference in the back we’re watching now and the one we watched during that magical stretch last fall.

The Rams deserve some credit (I’m not sure how much) for the effort they’ve made to shake Gurley loose in recent weeks. Offensive coordinator Rob Boras has consistently used jet motion with Tavon Austin and fake end-arounds to pull linebackers from the middle of opposing defenses, and at times he’s had Gurley take direct snaps out of the wildcat and keep the ball on runs up the middle.

All the commotion occasionally puts a crack in the stacked boxes the Rams routinely face, but even when there’s been a sliver of daylight, Gurley hasn’t taken advantage the way he has in the past.

Auditing a back’s decision-making with the tape stopped from a bird’s-eye view is a fool’s errand, but the play above (a first-quarter run against the Jets last week) is still a great example of what’s hampered Gurley this season. By sending Austin in motion to the left, the Rams get the result they want from linebacker David Harris (no. 52). He flies to his right, creating a crease up the middle that Gurley should be able to hit for a nice gain. Instead, Gurley follows a blocker coming across the formation, buries his helmet into the tight end’s back, and stumbles forward for a 3-yard gain.

Plays like this have happened a lot this season. Compared to last year, it seems like Gurley has been less willing — and less able — to find and exploit running lanes that aren’t directly created by the play’s design. It’s almost like he has a compulsion to squeeze every inch he can out of a given run, rather than search for the monster gains that made him so lethal as a rookie. And in his defense, that’s understandable.

Almost like a quarterback who’s regularly pummeled, Gurley may be getting a little gun-shy. The constant shots that he takes 2 yards deep have appeared to creep into his thought process. When the norm is a 2-yard loss, a modest 3-yard gain starts to look pretty good. It’s a lot to ask for Gurley to train his mind for 50-yard gains when nabbing 4 yards has become a foreign feeling. It’s not that he’s developed bad habits over the past season and a half — it’s that the circumstances have encouraged him to develop the most boring habits imaginable.

When on form, Gurley showed he has both the awareness and the burst to turn any play into a home run, independent of the way it was designed. He had no problem shaking off the aiming point of a given run if a massive chunk of grass was available a gap or two over. Like any transcendent back, the rules didn’t apply. Right now, he’s only living by the rules. Even Gurley’s creativity hasn’t been able to escape the wrath of the Rams offense.

The good news is that running backs can eventually emerge from a sophomore swoon. Of the 10 players since the merger with the worst YPC average on at least 250 carries, three — Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, and Marshall Faulk — are now in the Hall of Fame. None dipped quite like Gurley has this season, but in his third year, Faulk actually dipped to 3.0 yards per rush on 198 carries. I’d say it worked out fine for him.

It’s hard to say what could help Gurley snap out of his funk, but ripping off even one huge gain resembling his monster runs from a year ago would be a start. If the increased toss plays and motion-heavy window dressing are any indication, the Rams staff seems to know that.

Gurley’s improvisational spirit seems to have been knocked out of him, along with his stuffing. The focus this weekend will be on Goff, but for anyone who remembers the joy of watching Gurley last year, it’s worth seeing whether the shake-up can do anything to rekindle his imagination.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Most unwatchable team in the NFL ??? It hasn't been a lot of fun, but with the Browns in the league I don'r see how they don't win that award...I understand Gurley's frustration but he needs to take a look at some of the things that might fall on his shoulders with regard to vision, picking up the hole and tendency to just slam into the jammed box...JMHO, of course...

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
IMHO, Gurley has never been comfortable in an interview. And as this season has gone for him, one can't expect him to be all "fly" over the situation. To me he looks like i would expect from prior interviews ... uncomfortable answering questions and throw in frustration to how his season has been going.

jap

Legend
I, for one, hope Jared emerges sooner than later because Jared and Todd need each other. With a properly orchestrated Horns offense, the Gurley Man's rushing prowess will force defenders to bring bodies up the LOS. If Jared starts connecting consistently downfield, his sheer accuracy, touch, arm strength, and vision will push defenders back to corral the Horn's aerial attack. This Horns offense could literally become the closest thing to the GSOT we have seen for quite a while. The defense is arguably stouter than that of the GSOT. Our special teams are definitely better, even though the GSOT boasted the excellent kicker, Jeff "Money" Wilkins.

jap

Legend
Most unwatchable team in the NFL ??? It hasn't been a lot of fun, but with the Browns in the league I don't see how they don't win that award...I understand Gurley's frustration but he needs to take a look at some of the things that might fall on his shoulders with regard to vision, picking up the hole and tendency to just slam into the jammed box...JMHO, of course...

I fully understand your mindset, but constantly being hit before you reach the LOS tends to affect a RB's viewpoint. Trying to do too much with inadequate blocking is also often a quick detour to the injury list. Of course, the Rams OL is often forced to try futilely to defend more defenders with a lesser number of OL bodies, and that scenario speaks directly to NFL DC's disdain of Case's passing effectiveness. A marque RB needs an effective QB with enough passing oomph to literally keep the (red) dogs at bay.

Jared needs to get up to speed as quickly & efficiently as possible with an effective downfield game to force defenses to respect his arm and allow Gurley to regain his confidence & improvisational swag.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't know about you guys but, to me, Gurley doesn't seem very enthused to be playing on this team. Doesn't really seem to give a crap about anything the media asked him about. You'd think the guy would show some kind of enthusiasm or optimism now that Goff is starting. He just gives off a really negative vibe, at least to me. I'm sure some (many) of you will disagree.
Totally agree and I said as much in another thread a little while ago. Seems like a completely different dude this year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But regardless of who is behind center, Gurley and Los Angeles’ offense will have a challenge on Sunday, as Miami has been strong against the run — particularly as of late.
I don't know what they've done lately, but their run defense is one of the worst we've seen. They allow almost 140 yard a game on the ground.

Even if Goff can become the focal point of L.A.’s offense down the line, the Rams aren’t built for that to happen anytime soon. Everything still runs through Todd Gurley. And along with providing an ember that might restart the fire for the downfield passing game, the hope for Goff is that his early returns could ignite the offense enough to give Gurley new life.
Strange....Last I checked, Keenum threw about 40 times a game...So either we've gone against our "strengths" for 10 weeks, or we're just trying to take advantage of what the defense is giving us...

Curious who plays this week out of Barnes, Quinn, and Joyner.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Know what's the bitter irony?

Most of us thought the Prescott/Elliot combo that we've seen would have been the Goff/Gurley combo that we expected.

That should have been US, dammit!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The vibe I got was similar.

Does he know something we don't or is he being respectful to CK?

It was the first time I would say he was less than enthusiastic so I wouldn't paint him with your broad brush yet. He's struggling, the team has a losing record, there's a new QB, lots of reasons he could be down or low key.

If I hadn't bet all of my ROD$ on the Rams win this week, I would bet he tops 100 yards.
They have Gurley listed as Questionable w/ a Thigh injury! That has me worried a bit. But we still have Benny and Brown!
And I was hoping that Spruce would see some playing time and now he's on IR!!!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Totally agree and I said as much in another thread a little while ago. Seems like a completely different dude this year.
He's probably pissed, he's consistently playing like shit for probably the first time in his life and with no real solution readily apparent. He's only a year and a half removed from college where he could do anything at will almost and his big league career being dangled by a thread in front of him.

I could see why, as a young dude he might be a little sour lately.

RamzFanz

Damnit
the most unwatchable team in football.

Someone has no appreciation for one of the best defenses and special teams in the NFL.

Because the Rams offense must destroy anything beautiful

Now that would be funny if it didn't have the biting ring of truth.

Know what's the bitter irony?

Most of us thought the Prescott/Elliot combo that we've seen would have been the Goff/Gurley combo that we expected.

That should have been US, dammit!

Thanks for the migraine.

Hey, don't hold me to this, but it still could be! Shhhhhh.

I could see why, as a young dude he might be a little sour lately.

Yeah. It's fair, but it sucks. In the past he's always had a smile on his face and a positive attitude. He needs a breakout game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Auditing a back’s decision-making with the tape stopped from a bird’s-eye view is a fool’s errand, but the play above (a first-quarter run against the Jets last week) is still a great example of what’s hampered Gurley this season. By sending Austin in motion to the left, the Rams get the result they want from linebacker David Harris (no. 52). He flies to his right, creating a crease up the middle that Gurley should be able to hit for a nice gain. Instead, Gurley follows a blocker coming across the formation, buries his helmet into the tight end’s back, and stumbles forward for a 3-yard gain.

where's this crease he speaks of? i couldn't find it.

then again i couldn't see one when he made that run against the browns yet he found a way through. the writer brought up an interesting point that maybe gurley is getting hit so often in the backfield that he subconsciously just tries to gain any yardage that he can muster instead of trying to break one. he needs to make a huge run or two to get back into the groove.