Practice Report 10/4: Gaines Effective in Return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It’s been a long time coming for E.J. Gaines, as the cornerback made his first regular-season appearance since Week 16 of the 2014 season on Sunday against the Cardinals. While Troy Hill started on the outside opposite Trumaine Johnson, Gaines subbed in and played well.

Head coach Jeff Fisher said after the game Gaines played for most of the second half, and, as it turns out, Gaines was in for 69 percent of Los Angeles’ 77 defensive snaps.

“Man, it felt good to actually get out there in a regular-season game and try to help this defense,” Gaines said after Tuesday’s practice.

The cornerback said he didn’t necessarily have butterflies, but he was ready to play.

“It was more just excited and geeked to kind of get out there and help this offense, help this defense, help this football team — regardless of what it was. Getting out there and trying to help this team more,” Gaines said.

Gaines tied for the team lead with seven tackles and also had two passes defensed in Arizona, playing well in his first action.

“There was no evidence of any injury, or anything,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “He just went out there and played like he did a year ago.”

Gaines started 15 of the Rams’ 16 games as a rookie in 2014. As a sixth-round pick out of Mizzou, the cornerback led the team with 14 passes defensed. With that, Gaines provides a boost.

“It’s a year of starting experience at the position in our defense,” Fisher said. “That’s what’s helpful for him.”

With Gaines playing such significant snaps, it stands to reason that he can reclaim his starting spot on the outside sooner than later. But for him, just being on the field to help the team is what’s important.

“If that was me starting or not starting, whether it was special teams or whatever — but getting out there and starting with the defense, it’s a feeling that I haven’t felt for a while,” Gaines said. “But I’m excited to do that.”

That’s especially because the Rams’ next game will be at the Coliseum. Gaines, of course, was inactive for the home opener while still recovering from his thigh injury.

“Well for me, it’ll be really exciting to get out there in from of the home [crowd] and try to make some plays,” Gaines said. “And, hopefully, the stands will be rocking and the fans will be ready for us to come home.”

EXCELLING ON SPECIAL TEMAS

One of the reasons Los Angeles has gotten off to a 3-1 start this season is the solid play of its special teams unit.

Kicker Greg Zuerlein has made all five of his attempted field goals and each of his extra point attempts. PunterJohnny Hekker leads the league with 15 punts downed inside the 20-yard line, and has not yet recorded a touchback. And though the Rams do not get many punt return opportunities with wide receiver Tavon Austin’s strength in the area, they made the most of the one they received on Sunday with a 47-yard return to set up the go-ahead touchdown.

“We blocked it like we blocked it out on the practice field,” Fisher said of the return. “We’re hoping that we get those opportunities. Tavon is not someone that you want to punt to deep down the field, and we understand that. But when we get an opportunity, we have to make it count.”

Hekker’s punting ability also gives the Rams a distinct advantage given the way the defense has been playing.

“I don’t think he has a touchback yet this season, so he’s putting the ball down where they have to fair catch it at the 10 or the eight or the 12,” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “A 90-yard field for an opposing offense against our defense — we just don’t think they’re going to score, so that’s critical.”

As for Zuerlein, it’s no secret that the kicker had a tough 2015 season. That’s part of why Fassel said he’s been proud of how well the start of the season has gone for him.

“He’s made every field goal, he’s made every PAT – which, I don’t know how many kickers, after four weeks, can say that. His kickoffs have been solid,” Fassel said. “He’s worked really hard, he’s really good, and you have to keep it going.”

EXTRA POINTS

— One of the byproducts of Gaines coming back to play corner is Hill will see less time on the outside. But, that also means Hill will be free to play more snaps on special teams, which is a lift for that unit.

“The last two games, we haven’t been able to use him because he’s started at corner – and we were planning on using him a lot, but once he starts at corner, we lessen the load on special teams,” Fassel said. “If we get him back, he’ll be on all of them. He’s a good runner, super slippery as a cover guy, as far as teams having to try to block him, he’s got a good sense as a blocker – usually as a corner, you’re a tackler – but now, on the return game, you’re a blocker, which is usually an offensive skill. He’s kind of got that knack for doing that.”

— Defensive end Ethan Westrbooks started Sunday’s contest against the Cardinals, and defensive endMatt Longacre was active for the first time in 2016. Both played 56 percent of the Rams’ defensive snaps, which, according to Fisher, provides a boost at the end of games for the club’s other starters like defensive tackleAaron Donald and defensive end Robert Quinn.

“Ethan got an opportunity to start, and Matt an opportunity to play 30 or 40 plays, and he was productive,” Fisher said. “That’s the key, is that you have to have depth, and you have to keep them fresh all the time. When you get to the end of the game when you need a play, you’re getting the plays out of Aaron and out of Rob because they’ve been subbed for, and they’ve got an opportunity.”

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had posted previously that IMO, Gaines was key to this defense and having him back last week showcased how important he truly is. And on top of that, Coty Sensabaugh was inactive so it is nice that the coaching staff is seeing the same things that most of us are too, in the past, it has not gone that way.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
It'll be interesting to see how he plays the rest of the season and what impact that has on Tru's future

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
EJ Gaines return was HUGE!

First its was LB Alec Ogletree return after a broken lower ankle, then Safety TJ McDonald's return after a destroyed shoulder, then DE Rob Quinn return after back surgery. Now the return of CB EJ Gaines . Yep the news here in LA is so darn depressing & this Ram team if you listen to the NFL sport writers seems to be in decline alright & ready to return to bottom feeders in the west where they belong. Just too many indicators for the blind minded press to see..........The Bills, Lions & Giants offense's are licking their lips at a chance to play us.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
and on top of that, Coty Sensabaugh was inactive so it is nice that the coaching staff is seeing the same things that most of us are too,
Addition by subtraction....I wonder, what do you do with this guy? Cut him?? Trade him???

I'd also like to see Hill get some slot corner time...although he was looking bad last game in the tackling department...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
We never really got to see a healthy Tru playing with both Gaines and Jenks. I really hope we can lock up Tru, because if the Rams find one more corner that's on the level of these two, other team can literally do nothing against the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Addition by subtraction....I wonder, what do you do with this guy? Cut him?? Trade him???

I'd also like to see Hill get some slot corner time...although he was looking bad last game in the tackling department...
Coty is much better at tackling than he is in deep coverage. Coty is a good Nickel Back reserve behind our Nickle. Keep Hill working behind the outside corners.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His play was so far beyond "effective" that calling it that is an insult to him tbh. He made multiple splash plays not only in coverage but also vs the run, and two of the plays he made (blowing up a run that was well blocked, and getting that TE to the ground in-bounds) were All Pro caliber.

As most of us here have been saying, dude is a key piece; the dropoff from him to Hill is significant. But as long as he stays healthy we have Hill and then Sensabaugh as 4/5 and that my friends is great depth.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Hill is a better man coverage guy yhan Gaines, Gaines is better at Zone when he was a rookie and last game he mainly played zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill cover woods and Gaines slide into the slot on certain down and distance

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I had posted previously that IMO, Gaines was key to this defense and having him back last week showcased how important he truly is. And on top of that, Coty Sensabaugh was inactive so it is nice that the coaching staff is seeing the same things that most of us are too, in the past, it has not gone that way.

True - but what a stupid comment about having another guy with a year experience . EJ Gaines is better than Joyner ever has been. He should have been drafted a head of him ,& Joyner is in his 3rd year in some what of a starting role.
-- EJ is an excellent tackler & CB. He would have beat out Tru Johnson had he not got hurt . Would have been interesting what the DB situation looked liked had they all been healthy.Someone would have been making less money this season if he was healthy though.
He was the steal of the draft & watch him in a game against , I think Auburn & was like this guy is a top talent CB. Real happy he was drafted by The Rams.Was my sleeper pick & was upset after every pick The Rams past on him. Was really upset on lossing a 5th for Joyner. I also wanted one of the SEC QB''s in the later rounds.(LSU,bama) . Was so reliefed when they drafted him.
-- Next year Jamon Briwn was my sleeper. Sort of disappointed by his decline. --Whickmann was another sleeper as well.--Following in the footsteps of a future HOF from FSU..

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just a quick comment regarding my opinion of Gaines.

Wait for it...

'Janoris who"? Lol.

Gaines was a freaking 6th round GIFT!

Ask yourself this. If you're an opposing QB, just which Ram CB do you now wanna attack?

ESPECIALLY with that Ram front 4 bearing down on you? Lol.

Hot Damn!