Power Ranking NFL Offensive Line Depth Charts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
By Matt Miller, NFL Draft Lead Writer Jun 20, 2014

Starters:
Jake Long, Greg Robinson (rookie), Scott Wells, Rodger Saffold, Joe Barksdale

Key Reserves: Davin Joseph, Brandon Washington, Mike Person

The St. Louis Rams made aggressive moves in the 2014 offseason to secure the present and the future of the offensive line. You can bet on an immediate payoff along the front five.

Left tackle Jake Long is a prototypical star at the position, but he's coming off an injury. Still, when healthy, he's shown to be a top-five left tackle. To protect against his current and future injuries, the team used the No. 2 overall pick on stud tackle Greg Robinson. He'll start the year at guard, but he's a future tackle and a dang good one at that.

The center position is locked down by Scott Wells, and he has two familiar faces to his right. Rodger Saffold is a very good right guard, and Joe Barksdale was a surprising performer at right tackle last fall. If they're both healthy, this is a sneaky good right side.

Where do you think Bleacher Reports has the Rams? Go look!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099809-power-ranking-nfl-offensive-line-depth-charts/page/24

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'll take that rating. If we stay healthy, we'll be Top 5 by the end.

No mention of Barrett Jones as a key back-up? Makes me question if all of their research is current.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

No mention of Barrett Jones as a key back-up? Makes me question if all of their research is current.

Well, it IS bleacher reports. Nice to see SOME recognition though.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The cardinals get absoultely no love haha. What, 29? I don't think their o line is that bad. But oh well. I'm happy the Rams made it top 10.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Joseph & Bond seem to be upgrades of our typical backups..Coach Boo must be pleased...Surprised Barrett Jones isn't mentioned as well....Hope he's doing well enough to start soon....

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You have to take BR with a grain of salt, they stir the nest a bit for a reason. Some cases worse than others, of course. This one wasn't so bad.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
A healthy Jake Long at the start of the year, and Rams have a very good OL on paper.
Then will they gel and stay healthy?
If the OL plays to what it could, Rams are a playoff team IMO. Allows the team to wear down opponents and DL can then wreak havoc.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Jones is an a enigma at this point. I can't wait to see what he will do on the field. We really don't have much to go by with him, but I did read today that he was getting some OTA time with the ones. Not that that holds much water, but it's a good start.

Psycho_X

Legend
Remember in March when everyone was freaking out about the Rams not over spending on a bunch of free agents because our o-line was so porous. I'm guessing they knew what they were doing.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If our starting 5 can stay healthy and play all year together I have a feeling we will be number 1 on this list. Unlike the Ass Miners our oline should excel in pass blocking as well as RB with basically 4 Tackles playing on the line.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Jones is an a enigma at this point. I can't wait to see what he will do on the field. We really don't have much to go by with him, but I did read today that he was getting some OTA time with the ones. Not that that holds much water, but it's a good start.
I don't how he earned the enigma label, he was drafted in the 4th round, not fourth overall.

At least they had enough confidence in Jones and Barnes to be able to re-negotiate, read that as potentially walk away from Wells' contract, and that's about as much a statement as you can get about any group of players at this point in the season really.

Remember in March when everyone was freaking out about the Rams not over spending on a bunch of free agents because our o-line was so porous. I'm guessing they knew what they were doing.

Was that in the days between losing and regaining Saffold? If so I don't mind admitting I wasn't too happy with the O line at that point.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
To me at least, there's just no way that I would ever want to start more than one rookie on the offensive line. So there is that perspective that they especially didn't want to start a rookie signal caller on the offensive line when they could have a veteran who already knows the system.

And let's be honest, the rookie we all want to see start on the offensive line this year is Greg Robinson. Getting that 2nd overall pick up to speed is the obvious priority.

No matter what, if Wells had all of the cards, he doesn't have to take less money. That means that the Rams had a goal, the option to go with the veteran for a year or two. But they didn't want to keep paying on that old contract, so they negotiated.

Considering the outcome, I'd have to think they at least had some leverage and confidence with Barnes and Jones. After all, who was the less expensive UFA improvement to Wells?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't how he earned the enigma label, he was drafted in the 4th round, not fourth overall.

At least they had enough confidence in Jones and Barnes to be able to re-negotiate, read that as potentially walk away from Wells' contract, and that's about as much a statement as you can get about any group of players at this point in the season really.

Because its unknown what to realistically expect from Him this year.
I've read that he looks to be In great shape, but we don't have much to go by so far with him.

He's the player that I'm most interested in seeing in camp. (Well, reading about anyway)

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Because its unknown what to realistically expect from Him this year.
I've read that he looks to be In great shape, but we don't have much to go by so far with him.

He's the player that I'm most interested in seeing in camp. (Well, reading about anyway)
In that light, I can't fathom him beating Wells unless he just flat out beats him in training camp.

You're right, that's a mystery. We don't even know if he'll surpass Barnes yet.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
In that light, I can't fathom him beating Wells unless he just flat out beats him in training camp.

You're right, that's a mystery. We don't even know if he'll surpass Barnes yet.

Yeah, I don't expect him to beat Wells either. A healthy Wells is great for our o line.
It sure would be nice to know if he has what it takes to step in if Wells goes down. Which is likely at some point.