POSTGAME QUOTES: Rams vs. Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shaky

POSTGAME QUOTES: Rams vs. Jets

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher

(Opening Statements)
“That was a very respectful job that Rex Ryan and his team did this week under difficult circumstances. They got the team together, made enough plays to win this game after a long trip last week after Seattle – a difficult loss. Congratulations to Rex and his staff. We got outplayed today. We got outcoached today. Anytime you turn the ball over – I don’t care who you play in the National Football League – three times, you have a hard time if you don’t get the ball back yourself and to overcome those things and basically that was it. Second consecutive week we’ve had a long return called back because of a penalty. Certainly that was a momentum thing for us and we weren’t able to take advantage of it. We didn’t play well upfront. They ran the ball very well against us and that was the difference in the ball game.”

(On what he saw on the kickoff return that was called back)
“I just saw the replay. It looked like hands were inside. The player wouldn’t have made the play. When the player throws his arms up in the air like that sometimes it gets called. It didn’t look to me like it was an egregious hold.”

(On if it didn’t look like a hold to him on the kickoff return)
“To me, no? Did it like like that to you? No. We’re not good enough to overcome those kinds of things and the fact that it wasn’t a hold, but it’s just kind of the way it happens. You don’t know what happens with the momentum change in that game if that works.”

(On what adjustments the Jets made to prevent the Rams from moving the ball down the field)
“They made some adjustments. They kept changing things up with us. They covered us. They pressured us when they needed to pressure and we just didn’t make the consistent plays. Then first down, for the most part, their first down offense was typically in a positive situation winning first down. We’re losing first down, creating third and shorts and we couldn’t get the ball back.”

(On if he saw this coming after an energetic week of practice)
“No. The Jets are also in the National Football Leauge and you have to line up and play week in and week out against everybody, regardless of what’s happened to them in the past. We didn’t make the plays today, they did. They kept drives alive and took advantage of some things, a nice long seam route that’s not allowed to happen, but we’ll give them credit and we just keep working. Injury wise, the only person, I think, will miss some time will be (LB) Mario (Haggan) with the elbow.”

full quotes: http://www.nflfans.com/rams2/article.ph ... 8172807873

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On going for the two-point conversion)
“We just needed points. The 14s still going to do it, we just needed points. So, get as many points as we can get down there.”

Sorry, but that's just stupid.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not that it fucking means anything ...

but I'm amused to hear the Fish saw the "holding" call the same way as I did. Ticky Tack fucking call that doesn't get called on almost every team (except us of course). The "hold" did not allow the return ... FUCKING BUNK CALL.

I got some shit in the chat room for calling the call bullshit, so if I can take anything positive away from yesterday's embarrassment ... I have Coach Fish giving me a tiny bit of vindication .

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
Not that it fucking means anything ...

but I'm amused to hear the Fish saw the "holding" call the same way as I did. Ticky Tack fucking call that doesn't get called on almost every team (except us of course). The "hold" did not allow the return ... FUCKING BUNK CALL.

I got some shit in the chat room for calling the call bullshit, so if I can take anything positive away from yesterday's embarrassment ... I have Coach Fish giving me a tiny bit of vindication .
Sorry you took shit for that, George. I woulda had your back if I had the stomach to stay in there. There is no doubt about it being a ticky tack call that goes unnoticed as much as it gets flagged. Same thing with that delay of game that negated our field goal against the 9ers. As long as the ball is coming out as the clock hits zero (and even a fraction of a second after), it hardly ever gets called.

So fucking frustrating that we seemingly ALWAYS get the shitty end of those *judgement* calls.

stan

Rookie
X said:
“We just needed points. The 14s still going to do it, we just needed points. So, get as many points as we can get down there.”

I disagree. Playoffs were not an option. Our red zone offense sucks so why not go for 2 at every opportunity? Get gametime experience from the freaking 2 yard line and get it done. Especially with Wells finally returning. As much as a point lessw hurts a point more helps. If we're 50% at the 2 point we've lost nothing but still gained the experience. I think thats something to consider for the leagues youngest roster.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:

I disagree. Playoffs were not an option. Our red zone offense sucks so why not go for 2 at every opportunity? Get gametime experience from the freaking 2 yard line and get it done. Especially with Wells finally returning. As much as a point lessw hurts a point more helps. If we're 50% at the 2 point we've lost nothing but still gained the experience. I think thats something to consider for the leagues youngest roster.
If that's the case, then why even punt the ball? Just go for it on 4th every time.

They scored a TD from 2 yards away. What would going for 2 points achieve besides repetition?

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
X said:

If that's the case, then why even punt the ball? Just go for it on 4th every time.

They scored a TD from 2 yards away. What would going for 2 points achieve besides repetition?

Punt? You still want to win. Don't be ridiculous. Yes going for the 2 point would provide repetition which is something this team needs all they can get. Just put it out there from here on out this season we're going for 2 no matter what. 3-6-1 we have nothing to lose.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
X said:

Punt? You still want to win. Don't be ridiculous. Yes going for the 2 point would provide repetition which is something this team needs all they can get. Just put it out there from here on out this season we're going for 2 no matter what. 3-6-1 we have nothing to lose.
Don't start with that "ridiculous" shit again, Squeaky. I'm trying to have a conversation here.

Admittedly I was being facetious, but your explanation did absolutely nothing for me. You're suggesting they just go for a 2-point conversion (even though it defies conventional wisdom) because, and I quote, "Our red zone offense sucks so why not go for 2 at every opportunity." Who's being ridiculous now? There are reasons why getting 7 instead of 6 during the course of the game matters. There are reasons why NOT taking 7 in favor of just trying to get more points is an impractical approach.

I'm not the one who said, "We're trying to win games."

That was Fisher.

At 3-5-1, we weren't conceding the season. At least Fisher never informed anybody that he was. Now at 3-6-1, you think we should just go for 2 every time we score. How is that any more ludicrous than saying we shouldn't punt anymore. We already know Hekker can punt. Let's look at what our 4th down conversion rate can be going into next season. It's the same philosophy.

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
X said:

Don't start with that "ridiculous" shyte again, Squeaky. I'm trying to have a conversation here.

Admittedly I was being facetious, but your explanation did absolutely nothing for me. You're suggesting they just go for a 2-point conversion (even though it defies conventional wisdom) because, and I quote, "Our red zone offense sucks so why not go for 2 at every opportunity." Who's being ridiculous now? There are reasons why getting 7 instead of 6 during the course of the game matters. There are reasons why NOT taking 7 in favor of just trying to get more points is an impractical approach.

That was Fisher.

At 3-5-1, we weren't conceding the season. At least Fisher never informed anybody that he was. Now at 3-6-1, you think we should just go for 2 every time we score. How is that any more ludicrous than saying we shouldn't punt anymore. We already know Hekker can punt. Let's look at what our 4th down conversion rate can be going into next season. It's the same philosophy.

I'm stan. What is "ludricrous is equating what I wrote with having the Rams going for it on 4th down at our own 1 yard line with 25 yards or even inches to go. They need repetition. Gametime is best. Going for the 2 point for the first three quarters then if you get all weird about it. They need practice. The players. The coaches. Especially Schotty. No reason they can't be 50% at the 2 point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
X said:

Don't start with that "ridiculous" shyte again, Squeaky. I'm trying to have a conversation here.

That was Fisher.

I'm stan. What is "ludricrous is equating what I wrote with having the Rams going for it on 4th down at our own 1 yard line with 25 yards or even inches to go. They need repetition. Gametime is best. Going for the 2 point for the first three quarters then if you get all weird about it. They need practice. The players. The coaches. Especially Schotty. No reason they can't be 50% at the 2 point.
Sure you are.

And when, in the history of the game, has any coach, for any team, forsaken the normal game process in favor of practicing game situations -- during a game? Going for 2 after every score in order to practice it? Never been done. Never will be done. It would essentially turn the team into a laughing stock, and that would do absolutely nothing to boost morale or develop momentum.

Repetition happens throughout the off-season and throughout the week -- in practice. Execution is the product that repetition is supposed to reveal. Think about it. They likely practice 2 point conversions dozens of time during practice, but it would somehow be even more beneficial to practice it during the game -- all of two or three times? C'mon.

stan

Rookie
X said:
Sure you are.

And when, in the history of the game, has any coach, for any team, forsaken the normal game process in favor of practicing game situations -- during a game? .

Any time a starter is benched for bad play. Call it what you want but the best experience is gametime experience. So call it gametime experience at the 2 point. Besides you act as if lining up for the 2 point denies the element of surprise of the PAT. The skill and majesty of the PAT. :boing:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
Sure you are.

And when, in the history of the game, has any coach, for any team, forsaken the normal game process in favor of practicing game situations -- during a game? .

Any time a starter is benched for bad play. Call it what you want but the best experience is gametime experience. So call it gametime experience at the 2 point. Besides you act as if lining up for the 2 point denies the element of surprise of the PAT. The skill and majesty of the PAT. :boing:
Well, then, I suggest we forego the majesty and element of surprise of the punt too. In fact, statistically, it's been argued that going for it on 4th down instead of punting has just as great a chance of success as playing a game conventionally (i.e., punting). Screw it. Onsides kick after every score too.

Lawd knows we don't practice that enough, and we don't seem to be very good at it either. :boing:

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
X said:
Sure you are.

Well, then, I suggest we forego the majesty and element of surprise of the punt too. In fact, statistically, it's been argued that going for it on 4th down instead of punting has just as great a chance of success as playing a game conventionally (i.e., punting). Screw it. Onsides kick after every score too.

Lawd knows we don't practice that enough, and we don't seem to be very good at it either. :boing:

Whats crazy is your equating going for the 2 point with not punting at all or always going for the onside kick since both effect FIELD POSITION whereas the 2 point doesn't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
X said:
Sure you are.

Whats crazy is your equating going for the 2 point with not punting at all or always going for the onside kick since both effect FIELD POSITION whereas the 2 point doesn't.
This is going nowhere. As is often the case with you.

I was being facetious again (obviously), in response to your "logic" about never kicking a PAT again this season.

That'll be marvelous until we lose by 1 point because of two failed 2 point conversions and the other team wins with a field goal (and kicking PATs like a normal team). Fisher isn't inclined to lose games this year because we need to practice redzone efficiency via 2-point conversion attempts. And again, it's never going to happen. Never HAS happened, and likely never WILL happen. What's crazy is this whole dumb premise of altering the normal way the game is played in favor of practicing 2-point conversions.

Practice.

WE TALKIN' BOUT ..... PRACTICE.

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
X said:
Sure you are.

This is going nowhere. As is often the case with you.

I was being facetious again (obviously), in response to your "logic" about never kicking a PAT again this season.

That'll be marvelous until we lose by 1 point because of two failed 2 point conversions and the other team wins with a field goal (and kicking PATs like a normal team). Fisher isn't inclined to lose games this year because we need to practice redzone efficiency via 2-point conversion attempts. And again, it's never going to happen. Never HAS happened, and likely never WILL happen. What's crazy is this whole dumb premise of altering the normal way the game is played in favor of practicing 2-point conversions.

Practice.

WE TALKIN' BOUT ..... PRACTICE.
Then explain his going for the 2 point yesterday. He said "points". Something that has never been done before......SO SCARY! :roll: Perhaps they become better at the 2 point than any other team? SCARY!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
Perhaps they become better at the 2 point than any other team? SCARY!
There's the claim to fame I've been longing for. :roll:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't hate the call on the 2 point conversion, I thought it was a good one. Poor execution on the play, it hit Quick's hands he's gotta come down with it. It seemed a little high so I'm not sure if that was Bradford throwing just an inch too high (which is part of getting on the same page with a new WR) or if Quick didn't jump high enough or at the right time. Either way it's something I want them to work on, so we can have Quick become that redzone threat.

Now as for why we went for the 2 points over the PAT, I have no fucking clue. It was a headscratcher, didn't get it then, don't get it now. I guess it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things because it's not like we lost by 1 point, but it was weird.

Confused on why we did it, liked the playcall, didn't like the execution.

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:

You should since likely their red zone office will have improved as well.
Without another TO this next game the Rams will own the NFL record of 6 straight games without getting a TO. Infamy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
stan said:

You should since likely their red zone office will have improved as well.
Without another TO this next game the Rams will own the NFL record of 6 straight games without getting a TO. Infamy.
Cool story. :cool:

I do think they should work on their office too. Their YPC is way low.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
stan said:
Curious. You object to the nickname, "squeaky?" Do you have some knowledge of the poster who used to go by that username--despite the fact he hasn't been able to post here for more than 6 months--that makes you not want to be associated with him? You haven't once asked who that was or why X has called you that.