POSTGAME QUOTES: Rams vs. Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher

(Opening Remarks)
“Well, disappointed we didn’t win it, but again, pleased with what took place out there. We played quite a few players in the game and we made our substitutions and we ended up with only (WR) Danny (Rodriguez) in the training room, which isn’t a good thing for Danny, but it’s a good thing overall for the club. It’s a classic fourth preseason game. We played a lot of players, saw some good things, had some drops, had some missed opportunities there at the end to win, and had the two penalties that hurt us. But there are great things, too. They were done by young players, but they’re great things to learn from. So overall, disappointed we didn’t find a way to win a preseason game, but I’m also very excited to have it over now as everybody else is and move forward and get ready for the Seahawks. So, I have a difficult day tomorrow and Saturday. That’s always the case. We’ve had discussions over the last few days and this will be our hardest cut down. And that would imply we’re getting better. So, we got to play a lot of players, play some young guys, but for those that didn’t play, didn’t play for probably two different reasons: One, we wanted to give them another week to heal up and two, we didn’t feel like they needed to play. So, I thought overall we got a lot accomplished tonight, but the best thing – the thing I’m most excited about – is our training room’s empty right now.”

(On if there are still some roster sports up for grabs)
“Yeah, there are. We’ll have some discussions. It may take until Saturday. We don’t have to officially turn them in until 3 p.m. central time on Saturday. So, we’ll probably make a lot of decisions tomorrow, inform most of the players, probably sort some things out all the way up until Saturday at 3:00.”

(On if he will look at the Chiefs game film closely to decide roster spots)
“Well, we’ll look at it as it relates to maybe a couple of players. But we’re not going to grade this tape like we ordinarily do as a staff and in all three phases and those kinds of things. We’re going to get through the hard decisions tomorrow and then take a look at it. But both teams tonight were pretty simple. We stayed basic and I thought it was great. Just let them play. We just let our guys play.”

(On if he’s closer to making a decision at center and potentially keeping all three on the roster)
“There’s a possibility because of the position flexibility. Yeah, there’s a chance we keep all three. We’ll make the decision. As soon as we start to practice we can start preparation, which should be Tuesday.”

(On RB Isaiah Pead’s play against the Chiefs)
“Each week he’s getting better. He’s just getting better. He’s dropped the brace, which is a huge thing psychologically for him, and each week he’s getting better. Great effort on his behalf to get to this point.”

(On S Cody Davis’s play against the Chiefs and him making interceptions often)
“He does. He made a great play today…We’ll really get into detail of it because he’s wired. Yeah, he was mic’d.”

(On Daniel Rodriguez leaving the game)
“Well, he didn’t pass the concussion protocol. So, we have to examine him over the next couple of days.”

Rams QB Nick Foles

(On how he feels about getting to play tonight)
“I think anytime you get more reps and can go out there with the unit is great, especially because we’re all so young and new in the offense. So it was great to go out there and just get a couple series. First series didn’t end like we wanted to, but we were able to come out there and face a little adversity and move the ball right down the field and get a touchdown.”

(On the first team offense moving the ball better these last few games and if he takes a little bit of momentum from that)
“Yeah, absolutely. I think any improvement is a great improvement. I think the big thing was we faced a little adversity early and we didn’t let it affect us. We went out there and we had some great runs and (WR) Tavon (Austin) made a great play going from one side of the field to the other and that’s stuff you have to do to win the game. So we didn’t come out on top tonight, but we stepped in the right direction and I’m excited about what we have.”

(On if he had any view of WR Tavon Austin’s play)
“I mean I was right behind it. I didn’t quite know what to do because he’s so fast. I really just really try to stay out of his way and watch him do his thing.”

(On how he felt about his preseason overall)
“I felt like I improved each and every game. I think the big thing is just felt comfortable running the offense, being out there playing again. Now it’s getting real. Season’s here. I’m excited. We’ll learn from this film. We’ll look at it, improve from it and move forward and get ready for Seattle.”

(On if he’s excited to get more fans in the stands for the game against Seattle)
“I’m excited just to play, get this thing going. Get into a game plan, we get into that routine and then my first big, real game at home so I’m excited to see the fans here cheering us on. We’re going to need them there against Seattle. Be loud and rowdy.”

(On if he thinks improvement can be made in practice time before Seattle)
“Yeah, absolutely. Each and every day you can improve. I think the big thing is just continue to get with the guys on routes. The more we can talk about different things, different looks, the better we’re going to be. The communication is something that I”ll continue to stress. The more they get to know me as a quarterback and me know them as receivers, tight ends, running backs - the better we’ll be. O-line is doing a great job up front of really getting the run lanes going and letting our running backs do their thing. So yeah, absolutely. I just think each and every day we just need to improve.”

(On if he feels in sync with his top receivers)
“Yeah, I mean, I’ve thrown a lot of balls in my life so I feel really comfortable. We get a lot of work in practice, so it’ll be exciting to go out there and play in a full game and just let it rip.”

(On his reunion with Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid)
“Yeah, I was able to see Coach Reid before the game. Gave him a big hug. I love Coach Reid. He’s the one who drafted me in Philadelphia, so really enjoyed playing for him. He’s a great head coach. He’s done a great job there. So a lot of guys on that staff were there my rookie year so it was neat seeing them.”

(On how he feels about opening the season here at home)
“I’m excited to open the season here at home. Just to get our fans there to support us and just be loud. We’re going to need them to be loud against Seattle. So I’m really excited about that.”

Rams S Cody Davis

(On how good it felt to make that interception)
“It felt great. Just to put it on film. I’ve been making them in practice a little bit so to see it translate into a game feels really good.”

(On if he’s aware of how many interceptions he made has in practice)
“No, not quite. Just want to put it on film for the coaches and execute to the best of my ability.”

(On what he saw on the play)
“Cover 3, just rolling down and saw a three-step drop and the quarterback kind of turned his shoulder that way and I made the break. Luckily I guessed right.”

(On if his eyes got big when the end zone was so close)
“It happened so fast, you go through it so much and it’s just kind of a reaction to take off right when you get the ball and not think too much.”

(On if it’s important to make plays towards the end of camp so that people notice him)
“Yeah definitely. You want to improve every play, every year. As time goes on, you want to see that improvement and hopefully I’ve shown that.”

WR Tavon Austin

(On if he and QB Nick Foles wanted to get the first-team offense in the end zone)
“Definitely, not just me and Nick; the whole offensive unit. That’s our goal to come and set the tempo and get some points on the board and from there see how the game goes.”

(On if he feels ready for the regular-season opener)
“I believe we’re good. We’ve just got to keep on coming in to work, day in and day out. When it’s time for show time, we’ve got to show up.”

(On if he has a sense that he’ll have an opportunity to put up bigger numbers in this offense)
“I really don’t get into too much individual stuff, but they will be using me a lot more than in previous years. I’m up for the challenge. Hopefully I can make some plays for us and give us the edge.”

Rams DE Chris Long

(On how he feels about the state of the defense)
“I think we’re where we need to be at this point. We’re in that range and this is going to be a big week of preparation for us. These next 10 days are huge for us going into Seattle. We’re going to play them tough and we always do and they always play us tough. It’s going to be a really physical game. It’ll be a lot of fun.”

(On if it was nice to see the offense move the ball these last couple of games)
“Yeah, it was good. They look really good in practice. Maybe it was a slow start, but to see some of the success come to fruition was good for (QB) Nick (Foles) and his receivers.”

(On S Cody Davis’ interception after having several in practice)
“Yeah he does it a lot in practice. To see it in a game is exciting, the whole sideline erupted. He’s a favorite on the team, so guys were really excited.”

(On if it bothers him to not get a preseason win)
“You play to win these games, but there are bigger goals that are being developed and worked towards that are probably more nuance that everybody might not see – players developing, units gelling together. Some of the really tough years where we were 2-14, go back and look at some of those preseason records, they were pretty darn good. Not saying that that’s necessarily good or bad, but I don’t weigh everything on winning and losing, it’s about what we were able to get accomplished.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams vs. Chiefs Postgame Notes (9-3-15)

• The Rams fell to the Chiefs, 17-24, in the final preseason contest of the season.
  • QB Nick Foles saw action in the first two offensive series of the game. Foles completed two-of-three passes for 49 yards. He led the team in a seven play, 58 yard scoring drive.
  • WR Tavon Austin notched a catch-and-run from Foles for a 43-yard gain.
  • RB Isaiah Pead ran in the endzone for a 1-yard touchdown.
  • Pead led the team in rushes (12) and rushing yards (52).
  • QB Case Keenum led the offense for one series. Keenum completed one-of-two passes for 1 yard.
  • Rookie QB Sean Mannion saw extended action. Mannion completed 11-of-24 passes for 107 yards for a passer rating of 58.9.
  • S Cody Davis nabbed an interception from Chiefs QB Chase Daniel at the Chiefs 24-yard line and returned it for a touchdown. Marked his first NFL touchdown, including regular and preseason play. Davis’ last pick-six was as a member of the Texas Tech Red Raiders at Texas State (9/8/12).
  • According to press box statistics, rookie LB Cameron Lynch led the team in tackles with nine (seven solo).
  • K Greg Zuerlein converted a 57-yard field goal. Marked the longest field goal conversion for Zuerlein since the 2013 preseason contest at the Denver Broncos (8/24/13) when he converted a 58-yard field goal.
  • P Johnny Hekker punted five times for 227 yards, a 45.4-yard average and 43.6-yard net average. Hekker placed three punts inside the 20-yard line and tallied a long of 52 yards.