Post Martz Era: The best Ram NEVER to make the Pro Bowl?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Post Martz Era: The best Ram NEVER to make the Pro Bowl?

• Janoris Jenkins

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • OJ Atogwe

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Chris Long

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Will Witherspoon

• James Laurinaitis

• Donnie Jones

• Michael Brockers

• Trumaine Johnson

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Ron Bartell

• Other....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Its still the slow season, im bored, im back into the message board mood....

So, Rams fans....We have had many worthy players who should have been to a few Pro Bowls, but our record or their minimal notoriety hurt those chances...So who deserved it the most? Who was the best Ram that was/is not recognized by the NFL? They can be of the past or still active in the league.... Here are a few names I have thought of...

tempests

Hall of Fame
Those terrible Ram teams sank Atogwe. NFC leader in INTs doesn't go to the Pro Bowl? Come on.....tough to beat the Sean Taylor posthumous vote, but the Ken Hamlin berth was just embarrassing. We can thank Cowgirl fans for stuffing the fan voting box.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I remember a trip to STL for one of MANY Herdfests........any of you that made that trek and went to signman124's epic tailgates know what I'm talking about.

It was a game against the Saints and a DB just kept making plays and tackles and I had no idea who he was. And it may have been the first time he was on the field too. Someone said "It's Ron Bartell" and everyone in the stadium knew who he was by the end of the game.

None of those guys on the list played well enough to get to a PB except maybe Jenkins last year and I bet that's the last time he will even sniff the possibility.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember a trip to STL for one of MANY Herdfests........any of you that made that trek and went to signman124's epic tailgates know what I'm talking about.

It was a game against the Saints and a DB just kept making plays and tackles and I had no idea who he was. And it may have been the first time he was on the field too. Someone said "It's Ron Bartell" and everyone in the stadium knew who he was by the end of the game.

None of those guys on the list played well enough to get to a PB except maybe Jenkins last year and I bet that's the last time he will even sniff the possibility.

I loved Bartell as a Ram. He was not flawless, he had hand and ball skill problems at times but as a cover corner and physical defender he was very good! I never saw someone play Larry Fitzgerald in his prime as well as Bartell did. Bartell had great speed and length. His 2008 season warranted a Pro Bowl IMO. He had a couple solid seasons after that before breaking his neck against the Eagles in 2011, week 1. This basically ended his career.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
When the Rams signed Will Witherspoon, he was BY FAR the best player on the D, maybe even the team. As a MLB, he regularly fell back in coverage. I remember one game he batted a ball away from a WR on a 50 yd bomb in the endzone. Where were the safeties? They guy was all over the field making tackles.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Didn't Chris Long make the pro bowl as an alternate? Anyways, I picked him, cuz favoritism. Rob Bartell was my second choice, though.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I picked Tru. I think Brockers is near pro bowl level. Chris Long did go one year as alternate/replacement for a guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I loved Bartell as a Ram. He was not flawless, he had hand and ball skill problems at times but as a cover corner and physical defender he was very good! I never saw someone play Larry Fitzgerald in his prime as well as Bartell did. Bartell had great speed and length. His 2008 season warranted a Pro Bowl IMO. He had a couple solid seasons after that before breaking his neck against the Eagles in 2011, week 1. This basically ended his career.

I had the love hate thing for Bartell. I loved the projection of what he could be but hated that the Rams used a second round pick on a project. He took too long to reach his true potential and then it was derailed by the neck injury, and he was never the same afterwards.

Project players should not be picked as high as round 2, or even round 3 IMO. By the time they get to their expected level of play, if they do, they are free agents.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I picked Tru. I think Brockers is near pro bowl level. Chris Long did go one year as alternate/replacement for a guy.

Long was an alternate in 2011 but he never went (because the original picks were not injuried). Jenkins was 2nd alternate his rookie year but also never went. Long never made a pro bowl birth

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I went with Atogwe.

Bartell and Long were considerations as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I picked Chris Long, I didn't remember him going in as an alternate! BUT He should have been a 1st Teamer anyway!!
Chris+Long3.jpg

Chris72a.jpg

Long72D.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
After looking at that long list of names, I have to honestly say that none really deserved to be a Pro Bowler, frankly. Not one.

But looking at our current roster it seems that there are quite a few on the cusp, in addition to those that have already made it.

The FO talent acquisition has taken a quantum leap forward since S&F have arrived.