Post Marcus Peters/Pre- Combine/ Post Buttheaded Grouch past the WC Loss Mock draft!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Andrew Norwell will be a New York Giant IMHO....Love the Greg Senate pick out of Wagner....He's be a good tackle in waiting.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Mission #1:
I have very little doubt with our FO recent year(s) of pure beast mode they have any doubt of restructuring the amounts of Tavon Austin's and Robert Quinns contracts. Both have very good roles and talents to play on this team and I'm not convinced cutting or trading them is the answer to be honest.

Restructure:
Just gives us an extra just shy of 14 m. from these two contracts alone. Quinns is putting a bit off to next year and Tavon's is a pay cut etc. No doubt Snead and mostly Demoff get this accomplished. They seem driven and motivated to get us to the promised land.

Restructuring is either extending to lower the 1st year cap hit and giving the player more years or it's lowing the cap hit in the 1st year by giving the player guaranteed money. Simply making his year 1 hit cheaper and putting it all on the 2nd year without giving him guaranteed money doesn't help the player and they have no reason to do the extension.

I'm not buying in on this restructuring the contracts of Austin or Quinn. I know Gurley had better numbers with Austin in running jet sweep fakes and real one occasionally. He can be replaced. It's time to part ways and save the 3 Million salary as the bonus 5 Million has to be paid. Like OldSchool states there no reason/incentive for Quinn to wait. I can't see the Rams extending Quinn at this time. It could happen next year if he plays well.

Jake McQuide - 2 years 915k
NRC- 2 Years 850 k
John Sullivan- 1 year 1 mill.

All to low in payment. Sullivan a top ten OC. NRC a top 5 slot CB. McQuide the best long snapper.

Franchise:
Lamarcus Joyner - 11.1 mill
I was so wrong about these guy, a pleasure to use the franchise tag on him. Love watching him come across the middle and delivering a shot.

Hope they get a long term deal done.

Free Agency:
Andrew Norwell - 5 years 12.5 mill/yr
Mr Norwell is one of the best if not THE best RG in the game. This gives another All Pro, young (26), proven, and talented O linemen that will be around for Gurley and Goff for years to come. ( Imagine him kicking out to Whits side to clear the way with Whit!!) Will need to give him slightly more to pry him away from Carolina.

Trade up with Jets 2nd rd. (49) for Jamon Brown, 3rd rd. (93), 3rd rd. (87).
Why would the Jets do this? They are rebuilding and regardless of the QB (actually think they land Cousins) they pick they need a starting quality G, and value of two 3rd picks to help them add quality to their roster.

I just can't see the Rams getting in a bidding war with the Giants for Norwell. Panthers can't afford him. Stay with Brown who still inexpensive on his rookie contract.

I do like the draft.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Corbin:

For the most part, I like the draft picks. Nabbing Allen in the 5th is not a bad idea at all. Our entire defense suffered from a lack of depth last season. Had we not had such a high scoring, dominating offense last season, things could have been catastrophically worse.

Every time somebody went down in the secondary, it showed. That's why, even with Peters here, I still want to grab a starting CB early. It will probably be the BPA at the time anyway. Another Quality safety won't hurt either. As much as I liked Joyner when we drafted him, I always felt he was the kind of guy who might knock himself out of the game. 3 solid safeties is not a bad thing, especially since they all like to hit.

I do think that the single biggest priority on offense is a Tackle for the future. Is there no way the Rams grab one earlier? That is to say, is there nobody you could see being available that would be a better pick than one of your early draftees?

Re the run defense fix:
It was a multi dimensional problem. It started with a new system using personnel from the old system, poor play up front, LBs constantly being hit at the 2nd level and therefore not getting off blocks, and Barron's size being exposed.

Barron is a solid player, but without a little help up front, he struggles. A deeper DL will help (like it has in the past).

One thing the Rams have had despite a poor record over the last few seasons, was a deep DL rotation--possibly the best in the league. Along with Hekker kicking us out of trouble, the DL is what helped keep the Rams from being blown out more often.

So a legit 3-4 NT makes sense. If that happens, re-signing Walker would then give us 2 legit big bodied guys up front. We can find more depth through the other channels. We wont need to spend that much $$ on Easley.

I have to add, it's kinda funny to see Sullivan being priced lower than most all of your other guys on the list, despite being more important and having had the best season of all of those players.

Nice work. Appreciate it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Seattle. I think he is a good fit, but the weight concerns are real. As a Senior in high school he was 6-2 and 360 lbs.

I may not be able to forgive him for not accepting Penn State's offer though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I won't be surprised if Settle moves into the first round with a good showing at the Combine (right now, I think he's an early-second round pick). He's 6'3" 330+ and only 20 years old, but he moves like he's 295 pounds. With him only being a sophomore, I think a lot of the rating sites are lower on him because he hasn't had the exposure yet. I've seen people comparing him to Vince Wilfork. The big question with him is whether he'll be able to control his weight and stay in shape. I think he dropped down from something like 365 pounds to 335 pounds this year. Virginia Tech moved him around a bunch this year. Here's what an AFC DL Coach said about him:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tim-settle?id=2560190
"I need to watch him more but Bud (Foster) moved him around and I saw a guy who can play both nose spots, 3 (technique), 4i, and maybe 5. Reminds me of when (Dontari) Poe came out. He ain't Poe, but he can play all over the line like Poe could."

The guy is a super rare athlete. Not many guys his size have his athletic traits. He's a tad raw, but he's also very young. He reminds me of:
http://www.nfl.com/player/jamalwilliams/2503690/profile

And Jamal Williams was named to the All Pro team in two of his three seasons with Wade (2004-06). Settle is the perfect Wade Phillips NT. He has the size, anchor, and strength to keep blockers from obliterating our ILBs, and he has the athleticism to penetrate into the back-field and disrupt plays behind the LOS. Settle, Donald, and Brockers on the same DL would be absolutely unfair.

Come to think of it, I can see Les going with Settle at 23 if he's worried about getting sniped.

That's not a stretch or a reach if he's as perfect for Wade's D as many of us think he is.

I also think this happens if the Rams somehow find a way to resign Tru (which is still possible, but not necessarily probable. I think Talib's tenure in Denver is going to play a part)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Seattle. I think he is a good fit, but the weight concerns are real. As a Senior in high school he was 6-2 and 360 lbs.

The weight concerns are definitely real. That's my biggest fear with him. He's raw, but he's insanely talented. The question is if he can stay in shape. If he can, he'll be a force in the middle of a defense like ours.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Come to think of it, I can see Les going with Settle at 23 if he's worried about getting sniped.

That's not a stretch or a reach if he's as perfect for Wade's D as many of us think he is.

I also think this happens if the Rams somehow find a way to resign Tru (which is still possible, but not necessarily probable. I think Talib's tenure in Denver is going to play a part)

The weight concerns are definitely real. That's my biggest fear with him. He's raw, but he's insanely talented. The question is if he can stay in shape. If he can, he'll be a force in the middle of a defense like ours.
Question: Not because I mocked it but do you guys think it's more than likely now with our recent moves and if so wouldn't you say a trade down to the back of the first makes the most sense since we obviously need to find extra value now? Settle could be a nice end of a first round pickup.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

If he’s playing next to a motivated AD?

I’m pretty strong-willed and I sure as heck wouldn’t want to get on ADs bad side because I wasn’t as competitive as he is...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Question: Not because I mocked it but do you guys think it's more than likely now with our recent moves and if so wouldn't you say a trade down to the back of the first makes the most sense since we obviously need to find extra value now? Settle could be a nice end of a first round pickup.

Depends.

Does someone look like Josh Jackson fall?

Does a stud OLB fall?

Does Orlando Brown fall? Basically, he needs a year of pro weight room work and speed work, but who knows how much that 40 time affects him?

Settle is an option and a good one, but we have to see free agency play out before we can see where the priorities lie.

Corbin

Depends.

Does someone look like Josh Jackson fall?

Does a stud OLB fall?

Does Orlando Brown fall? Basically, he needs a year of pro weight room work and speed work, but who knows how much that 40 time affects him?

Settle is an option and a good one, but we have to see free agency play out before we can see where the priorities lie.
Not so sure on NT FA out there right now tbh. Anything is possible and obviously I like taking BPA within reason anyways but we are starting to create holes. Can't wait to see what they have cooked up when FA starts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know, Corbin. It's going to be tough to justify taking a NT over an edge rusher with Quinn gone.

Corbin

I don't know, Corbin. It's going to be tough to justify taking a NT over an edge rusher with Quinn gone.
True that man... sigh lol Starting to get very anxious and stupid March 14th seems very far away doesn't it?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Depends on who’s available.

It’s very hard prior to the FA period to even guesstimate and even harder because we don’t really know where guys are going to settle after they’ve integrated the info from the Combine and various Pro Days.

Does Billy Price fall? Does Orlando Brown fall? Does Josh Rosen go in the top 10? Does Baker Mayfield go in the top 15?

Has someone really stood out from a smaller school?

Too hard right now even without taking inevitable trades into account to get a decent bead on who’s going to go where.

Corbin

I won't be surprised if Settle moves into the first round with a good showing at the Combine (right now, I think he's an early-second round pick). He's 6'3" 330+ and only 20 years old, but he moves like he's 295 pounds. With him only being a sophomore, I think a lot of the rating sites are lower on him because he hasn't had the exposure yet. I've seen people comparing him to Vince Wilfork. The big question with him is whether he'll be able to control his weight and stay in shape. I think he dropped down from something like 365 pounds to 335 pounds this year. Virginia Tech moved him around a bunch this year. Here's what an AFC DL Coach said about him:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tim-settle?id=2560190
"I need to watch him more but Bud (Foster) moved him around and I saw a guy who can play both nose spots, 3 (technique), 4i, and maybe 5. Reminds me of when (Dontari) Poe came out. He ain't Poe, but he can play all over the line like Poe could."

The guy is a super rare athlete. Not many guys his size have his athletic traits. He's a tad raw, but he's also very young. He reminds me of:
http://www.nfl.com/player/jamalwilliams/2503690/profile

And Jamal Williams was named to the All Pro team in two of his three seasons with Wade (2004-06). Settle is the perfect Wade Phillips NT. He has the size, anchor, and strength to keep blockers from obliterating our ILBs, and he has the athleticism to penetrate into the back-field and disrupt plays behind the LOS. Settle, Donald, and Brockers on the same DL would be absolutely unfair.
Sounds like Settle didn't have a great Combine but this is only article I have seen or read so can be just conjecture. Have you heard anything else he might be able to land with us? Seems like Payne and Vea or not realistic to us even at 23 at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ne-day-3-winnerslosers-shaquem-griffin-shines

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like Settle didn't have a great Combine but this is only article I have seen or read so can be just conjecture. Have you heard anything else he might be able to land with us? Seems like Payne and Vea or not realistic to us even at 23 at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ne-day-3-winnerslosers-shaquem-griffin-shines

I think he most likely won't land with us. I would be surprised if we used our first pick on a NT not named Vea (who almost definitely won't be available).

Corbin

I think he most likely won't land with us. I would be surprised if we used our first pick on a NT not named Vea (who almost definitely won't be available).
Yeah starting to think that as well. Just thought I'd ask since I have not had the time to go over anything besides a fast check in.