Post game thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Buckets in the corner. :sick:

Ugly ugly ugly. But trying to find the pony in this mountain of shit... Pead had some good runs, and Bradford seemed pretty accurate most of the game. Givens set a record for consecutive games with 50+ yard receptions... That's about all I got for now..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Buckets in the corner. :sick:

Ugly ugly ugly. But trying to find the pony in this mountain of shit... Pead had some good runs, and Bradford seemed pretty accurate most of the game. Givens set a record for consecutive games with 50+ yard receptions... That's about all I got for now..
Richardson.

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/badass.mp3[/mp3]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[hil]DR RAM said:
The defensive effort, or lack of, what the heck? Are there any answers? Don't tell me an answer is playing a weaker team. What would your changes be in the bye week?[/hil]

X said:
No idea. So many defensive players were caught out of position. I'd start with working Stewart into the mix and getting Dahl a bus ticket. He's a good guy and everything, but I've never seen a guy look so lost before. I'd also work on changing up the D with more stunts and delayed blitzes.

Also, I guess, try to see if there are any more OL out there - we're gonna be short again I think.

All answers will be appreciated, maybe we can help the Rams somehow, some way. I want to see if anybody has an idea, or ideas different than me.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
[hil]DR RAM said:
The defensive effort, or lack of, what the heck? Are there any answers? Don't tell me an answer is playing a weaker team. What would your changes be in the bye week?[/hil]

X said:
No idea. So many defensive players were caught out of position. I'd start with working Stewart into the mix and getting Dahl a bus ticket. He's a good guy and everything, but I've never seen a guy look so lost before. I'd also work on changing up the D with more stunts and delayed blitzes.

Also, I guess, try to see if there are any more OL out there - we're gonna be short again I think.

All answers will be appreciated, maybe we can help the Rams somehow, some way. I want to see if anybody has an idea, or ideas different than me.

NE is the better team. No doubt.

Getting healthy will be big. Saffold and Wells both have a chance to get back in the mix. Amendola too.

Amendola and Givens are the only 2 WRs capable of getting open consistently without Bradford having to wait for them.

Stewart at S would be nice to see. Although we do need to target 2 safeties this offseason(Tony Jefferson please).

Our LB play was very underwhelming. Maybe give some other guys some snaps with the ones.

And teach Fletcher not to hold onto WRs jerseys

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
[hil]DR RAM said:

X said:

Getting healthy will be big. Saffold and Wells both have a chance to get back in the mix. Amendola too.

Amendola and Givens are the only 2 WRs capable of getting open consistently without Bradford having to wait for them.

Stewart at S would be nice to see. Although we do need to target 2 safeties this offseason(Tony Jefferson please).

Our LB play was very underwhelming. Maybe give some other guys some snaps with the ones.

THIS.

And I said it in the chatroom...this was our one and only beatdown of the year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
[hil]DR RAM said:

X said:

THIS.

Look. I know they are the better team, but we have been exposed. Do you not see it? We will not win another game this year if we continue to play defense like we have in the last 2 weeks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know what we can do. Can't really change much personnel out. Not deep or strong enough to blitz with any regularity, and couldn't generate any pressure with just 4. They were riding Long and Quinn upfield all day, and aside from the holds, there was nothing they were doing. No spin moves, neither of them could really generate a bull-rush. I honestly have no clue.

I think it really just boils down to being beaten by a better team. That team has been running the same O and D for like a freaking decade, and we're here with two entirely new schemes on offense and defense with like 22 new players. Our offensive line has collapsed on the right side, and the only real *weapon* out there is Givens and sometimes Gibson. There's just not enough firepower to match up with that team, and that was painfully evident last week AND this week. Only thing we can do is hope that Fisher can keep this team focused and hungry after that shellacking. And lighten up on the extra-curricular activities now. We've done enough freaking PR and charity work.

Time to go to fuckin' work. :evil:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
I don't know what we can do. Can't really change much personnel out. Not deep or strong enough to blitz with any regularity, and couldn't generate any pressure with just 4. They were riding Long and Quinn upfield all day, and aside from the holds, there was nothing they were doing. No spin moves, neither of them could really generate a bull-rush. I honestly have no clue.

I think it really just boils down to being beaten by a better team. That team has been running the same O and D for like a freaking decade, and we're here with two entirely new schemes on offense and defense with like 22 new players. Our offensive line has collapsed on the right side, and the only real *weapon* out there is Givens and sometimes Gibson. There's just not enough firepower to match up with that team, and that was painfully evident last week AND this week. Only thing we can do is hope that Fisher can keep this team focused and hungry after that shellacking. And lighten up on the extra-curricular activities now. We've done enough freaking PR and charity work.

Excuses, not answers.

Not trying to be a cheeky bastard, but we need to come up with fixes brothers, not excuses. There are no excuses in big boy football. We need to solve a problem with what we have.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Correct me if Im wrong but Blake Williams looks to be the "DC" in that he is mostly responsible for the schemes. There was no book on him coming into the year, and I wonder if he has developed some patterns and tendencies other teams are picking up on.

I dont know if thats true in the least bit. Just speculating. We have, after all, faced arguably the top 2 offenses in the league the last 2 weeks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:

Excuses, not answers.

Not trying to be a cheeky bastard, but we need to come up with fixes brothers, not excuses. There are no excuses in big boy football. We need to solve a problem with what we have.
Whatchu got then?

I'm serious. Outside of changing personnel (which we can't necessarily do), what can you do to cease the exploitation of mismatches against this D? If we blitz more, then that's less defenders against 4 legit targets. If you can't rush 4, then you give Brady and his receivers time to complete their patterns. How do you stop it? You have to win the 1 on 1's. Chew some ass, work twice as hard, and get ready to bring the pain in San Francisco.

If you want specifics on what to change on defense, then here's what I got.

Stewart over Dahl.
JL to OLB and Hull at MLB
Move Chris Long to DT every once in a while.
SHOW blitz more often and then back out of it (amoeba defense)
Be way more physical in press coverage. Don't even give a half yard cushion on the LOS and WIN those battles.

How's that for starters?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Excuses, not answers.

Whatchu got then?

I'm serious. Outside of changing personnel (which we can't necessarily do), what can you do to cease the exploitation of mismatches against this D? If we blitz more, then that's less defenders against 4 legit targets. If you can't rush 4, then you give Brady and his receivers time to complete their patterns. How do you stop it? You have to win the 1 on 1's. Chew some ass, work twice as hard, and get ready to bring the pain in San Francisco.

Stewart over Dahl.
Be way more physical in press coverage. Don't even give a half yard cushion on the LOS and WIN those battles.

How's that for starters?
That's the kind of shit I'm talking about. I agree with a lot of that. I will reserve my answer. I'm trying to see if everyone thinks the same way, or differently. That's all. Weren't the Saints a better team last year? I'm talking about being competitive and not a sieve. I don't expect unrealistic wins. I didn't expect a win today.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll look back at this one closely too when the replay comes out. But our DBs should read the guy’s upfield shoulder and when his upfield shoulder turns back they should turn into him and play the ball. Forget shading the guy. Forget just trying to mirror his route and stick on him long enough that you know where he's going and start looking back. DBs of this speed can close once a ball is in the air. We should have been playing the ball more and not the receivers.

If they can play bump-and-run better with these corners (who ARE good), and they can keep the guys cut off from the get-go, then they can control the receiver's speed and he can’t run all over the place. The key to getting good pressure is to have better coverage, and coverage more or less sucked this time. But again, they DO have good receivers.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
[hil]DR RAM said:

X said:

THIS.

Look. I know they are the better team, but we have been exposed. Do you not see it? We will not win another game this year if we continue to play defense like we have in the last 2 weeks.

I saw it. This was one of those games where nothin went right.

I thought that last week vs. the Pack, the D did OK. It was a close game pretty much until mid 4th when it unravele. 20-13 was it?

This week was just not a good week. The DL underwhelmed so much today. No pressure on Brady at all. Quinn was slippin all over and Long was gettin held and when he wasn't, really wasn't a factor anyway.

All 1st half TD drives were aided by penalty. Those are demoralizing. I don't expect it to happen again.

Perfect time for a bye week. get rested up, refresh the minds, etc.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
One thing I have really noticed is what teams are doing to our D-Line, specifically our D-Ends. It seems that Quinn and Long really have only one move and that is a speed rush. So, teams are having their tackles ride Quinn and Long up field to use their speed against them, and when you can't get an inside push by your tackles it allows the QB to step up into the pocket. Earlier this season, we seemed to get good push up the middle which caused the QB to scramble right into Quinn or Long, but as of late Quinn and Long are becoming a non-factor. They need to develop an inside pass rush move, so when they get the tackle leaning outside they can come back underneath and inside.

Also, the play of Jenkins has really fallen off over the last three games. In each of the last three games (Miami, GB & NE) he has been caught looking back to QB and getting beat deep. I know he is a rookie and is still adjusting to the game. Part of me says that maybe they need to start splitting time with him and Tru Johnson. One aspect that is so glaring on the defense is the play of our safeties, specifically Dahl. He is so bad, and there probably isn’t enough space on X’s server for me to explain how bad he is. We are so vulnerable with a rookie at CB, and with Dahl as the last line of defense, we are all but screwed if/when Jenkins gets burned. I have never seen anyone with a lack of having “a nose for the ball” as Dahl. His reaction to plays is terrible, besides being physically slow, which is why he plays so deep in the secondary. Bottom line is he doesn't add anything to the defense. So let's see what McLeod or even Johnson could provide.

Offensively, we can't get Amendola, Saffold, Wells, and Hunter back soon enough. Although Turner, Barksdale and Smith have filled in admirably during their absence, we need to get the best O-Line back on the field which will provide Sam time to throw and develop a consistent running game. I do think we have enough weapons to put points on the board, but it starts with the O-Line.

I really hope that over these next two weeks Fisher and company finds a way to help get this team back on track and finish the second half of the season strong. Yes, I know we are the youngest team in the league and we are going to make mistakes through this re-build process, but we are 8 weeks into the season and the silly/mental mistakes need to go away. Here is to two great weeks of practice and an upset win in San Francisco.

GO RAMS!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Excuses, not answers.

Whatchu got then?

Stewart over Dahl.

How's that for starters?

No to JL at olb and Hull as mlb. Hull gets in enough for the situations that make sense. James and Dunbar are our best talents at backer and should be on the field accordingly.

They do move Chris to DT when it makes sense. They've been standing him up, moving him inside, dropping him back, doing a lot with him.

I think the defensive play calling, and the offensive play calling has been pretty damn good. We've been disguising the blitz well, and gave them and the other teams we've played a lot of different looks. That's a hard offense to stop. Especially when the refs are calling the game the way they are, and your team keeps shooting itself in the foot. I said it before the game too. If you can't get to brady you're doomed. Doesn't matter if we score 50 points. Literately. You can't give him 4+ secs when it's four on five rushing wise. Plus, you could see we went to the "pre-season" defense we used this year when the 4th began. There was no reason to give anything away look wise after that. It was over.

Only complaint about the offensive play calling is that the post game stats show they don't run the ball as much as I like. However, you can go back and watch some of the games and understand why with all the penalties, and various situations.

Here's a few things that pissed me off coaching wise though.

Are the Rams going to win the Superbowl? No, probably not? Then put Austin Davis in the fucking game instead of Clemons. I was even pissed when Clemons walked in for Sam after he went down.

Do you see your defensive ends getting collared and thrown to the ground every fucking play? Then raise hell about it! I like the general game plan too, but if you're constantly getting outside pressure only to watch brady step up once to have all fucking day them something is wrong. It's called absolutely no push up the middle. You can't hurt them off the edge. It's known. If you can't get enough push with the DTs because of 3 man fronts, or double teams, then guess what? Send someone up the fucking middle!

A couple things I'd do I guess thinking off the top of my head.

1. Keep Jenkins in man on the fucking line. He said that's his favorite type of coverage, and after watching we all know it's his strength. Let him get his hands on them like he likes from time to time. If not, maybe we should consider not starting him until he's coached up. Maybe it would light a fire under his ass idk. I'm sure Fisher doesn't want to "give up" on him though. He's said plenty of times though, "No one wants to make a mistake, when they keep making the mistake is when it becomes a problem." Well? I mean, He's going to be a hell of a player, but it's not like we have a shortage of corners on the team.

2. Give Rodney McLeod a shot.

Now, what do we do during the bye? Get healthy.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
How bad was it when they showed Bradfords sacks from the all 22 and continuously said "Nobody's open. He has nowhere to throw the ball."

I could heard the bitchers and whiners, "yeah right! that guys open right there!"

We're seriously lucky Sam didn't die this game.

If the line is the same as it was when the game ended after the bye for some reason, we better not start Bradford. I will lose my shit.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have one thing to say after this travesty of this game:

Why the fuck is Craig Dahl still playing on this team, much less starting? Does he have incriminating pictures of the whole fucking coaching staff? You have a potential star safety in Darian Stewart sitting on the fucking bench, not even getting so much as a special teams snap, let alone plays on the defense. Fucking start him. It's not like he could be worse than Dahl or Mikell. I am so goddamned sick of seeing Dahl look utterly clueless in coverage and not filling in the box for run support. He's quite possibly one of the worst safeties in the NFL, and he doesn't have any more room to grow. Why waste your fucking time on someone who wouldn't even have a job on most teams?

Okay, deep breath...I'm done.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We could "start" by winning a coin flip, three time in a row we've lost and didn't get the ball first in the second half.

Seriously though we've faced two of the top five QB's in the league this past week, Brady is a master of the presnap read and KNOWING who is going top be WIDE open.

JMO go back to work theis was an L

Quit acting like it's an L
I also posted this elsewhere, McD has probably put some time into this game plan every week all year long. I'd bet on it

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I think Amendola returning will be a big boost to the offense. However SF has a damn good defense (well I'm assuming they still do without looking at stats, and god knows I don't watch them). I also think giving Pead some touches in the run game might help, he looked very elusive today. I don't know how much of that was because the Pats weren't really trying though, but either way. Richardson has great speed, but Pead can stop turn and start again on a dime. We have three running backs dressing, might as well use them all. Then just sit and cross our fingers the O-Line lives.

As for the defense.. Well I'm not quite sure. I don't think we need to move JL over to OLB or anything like that. Stewart needs to get into the mix more, but given they're keeping Dahl out there over him, I'm thinking there's something they don't like. I have no clue. Maybe stick Tru out there at S, I know they want to keep him at Corner, but we need an upgrade at the safety spot, and that's the only thing I can think about doing. Unless they feel Fletcher can move back there. I think Tru would be better to try out though. We're very weak at S and teams will keep to abuse us inside the numbers if we don't fix something. You know Davis will be looking at film and drooling over the potential to put up a game like Gronk did today.

Also I agree with giving McLeod a shot as well. Also I don't think Davis dressed today, so that's why they put in Clemons.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Well I think Amendola returning will be a big boost to the offense. However SF has a damn good defense (well I'm assuming they still do without looking at stats, and god knows I don't watch them). I also think giving Pead some touches in the run game might help, he looked very elusive today. I don't know how much of that was because the Pats weren't really trying though, but either way. Richardson has great speed, but Pead can stop turn and start again on a dime. We have three running backs dressing, might as well use them all. Then just sit and cross our fingers the O-Line lives.

As for the defense.. Well I'm not quite sure. I don't think we need to move JL over to OLB or anything like that. Stewart needs to get into the mix more, but given they're keeping Dahl out there over him, I'm thinking there's something they don't like. I have no clue. Maybe stick Tru out there at S, I know they want to keep him at Corner, but we need an upgrade at the safety spot, and that's the only thing I can think about doing. Unless they feel Fletcher can move back there. I think Tru would be better to try out though. We're very weak at S and teams will keep to abuse us inside the numbers if we don't fix something. You know Davis will be looking at film and drooling over the potential to put up a game like Gronk did today.

Also I agree with giving McLeod a shot as well. Also I don't think Davis dressed today, so that's why they put in Clemons.
I feel a little better about the SF game. They're a really tough defense, but their QB can be had. I expect Fisher to get this defense back in line because his name is all over this mess, and he's not gonna want to have his name associated with a soft defense. Not by a long shot.

Having 2 weeks is obviously a blessing too. We'll get some guys back, we'll rep the same game plan over and over and over, and hopefully execution will improve 10 fold. If only for one game. We really miss Amendola out there, and it shows. BOY does it show. A bit more focus on him will make things easier for everyone else. From Bradford to every other receiver.

We can do this. I know we can.