Post Draft Press Conference Snead & McVay (video)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
That was a good listen.

Good to hear they are really confident in the Oline. It went from top 5 rushing and pass pro on '15 to bottom 5 in '16 with the same cast basically. So with the 2 free agent additions they felt they are set there.

They focused on offensive playmakers guys and really that needed to be done.

Their lean highly on senior bowl which is why they selected Reynolds.

Most impressed with Mcvays detailed understanding of prospects. His descriptions show he really knows the nuances of the game of football.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Enjoyed this.
I like how they spoke about the mid to later rounds of the draft. Stating it's an even more inclusive process with the position coaches. Always trying to find a guy in a pool of a larger group of closely rated players.

It sounds like Harkey isn't competing for a FB spot. They stated Zelaskey will be competing with Sam Rodgers. They really like Rodgers. Not sure if this is good for Harkey, but it sounds like he's strictly in the TE group.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Agree, a very good press conference. Refreshing to hear these guys explain their process. I loved that the term 'BPA' wasn't used once as they describe the building of their draft board, it came across as a more honest dialogue. McVay & Snead look very comfortable with each other and respect the knowledge both bring to the table. The comments about how thin the draft was for offensive linemen and how they ranked their own guys higher than much of what was available makes it easier to understand how an in-house developed back-up center may be a good decision. Snead said they would have drafted Everett at #39, but were confident he'd still be available following the trade down. They didn't believe Reynolds would fall to them at #117, so that was an easy decision for them. Guess we'll never know who they had projected at that spot had Reynolds not been available. They mentioned Sam Rogers as being the most emotional drafted player when contacted by the team.

I hope everyone listens to this press conference, i'm looking forward to them adding Phillips next time around. Thanks to the OP for posting.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
It's true, they do have a really good relationship haha!

McVay, bustin' Sneads balls a little bit :D... hahaha fearless!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This kid Reynolds, gotta say they might have found a gem. Went back and redressed the wrong of not looking at him too well and he made more plays and was more consistent than I had thought. In their bowl game (which I hadn't watched) loss vs K State, that second TD was absolutely clutch a difficult play to make at a crucial time that got them back in it even though they eventually couldn't pull the game out.

Anyway, real good sign to see him cap his career with 12 for 154 and 2 TDs in a bowl game. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in camp and preseason.

I don't know if a position coach can get more excited than this with a guy taken in round 4:

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Draft-Phone-Call-WR-Josh-Reynolds/c9679a1a-1162-4fed-813f-e488bbffb53e

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Goff & Gurley should be mighty thankful for McVay & Kromer.

Young Goff especially needs to learn the fine art of entertaining as he has a large stable of equally young receivers that should be practicing near daily prior to the opening of camp. Lesson 1 - Developing Chemistry. Quality food & beverage following a good workout helps ease the stress & pain. Lesson 2 - Help the new guys learn the play-book. Oh yeah, include Sullivan and our in-house back-up center trainee so you can get that whole under center snap thing down & Mannion to help spread the ball around. Make Austin split the bill with you, I hear he can afford it. Hire a caterer if you haven't the skills behind a BBQ grill. (I'm available).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I love that they basically insinuated that Josh Reynolds was a "bonus baby" and that they had him rated higher and took him as a result of their board.

So according to them, Reynolds wasn't a reach at a position of need, it was a "surprised he fell" type of pick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Imagine...evaluating players not only for their "potential", but that they actually fit what the team plans to do, actually fit the scheme, fit the vision of what the team should look like.

It's enough to make a grown man cry tears of joy...

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Agree, a very good press conference. Refreshing to hear these guys explain their process. I loved that the term 'BPA' wasn't used once as they describe the building of their draft board, it came across as a more honest dialogue. McVay & Snead look very comfortable with each other and respect the knowledge both bring to the table. The comments about how thin the draft was for offensive linemen and how they ranked their own guys higher than much of what was available makes it easier to understand how an in-house developed back-up center may be a good decision. Snead said they would have drafted Everett at #39, but were confident he'd still be available following the trade down. They didn't believe Reynolds would fall to them at #117, so that was an easy decision for them. Guess we'll never know who they had projected at that spot had Reynolds not been available. They mentioned Sam Rogers as being the most emotional drafted player when contacted by the team.

I hope everyone listens to this press conference, i'm looking forward to them adding Phillips next time around. Thanks to the OP for posting.
On the "who would they of took had Reynolds not been there" ... just speculation on my part, but i think it would have been along the lines of KD Cannon or the GSU WR Robert Davis. They had been linked to both as mid-late Rd. deep threat options. I also think that Reynolds may have been in play for them in the 3rd Rd. had there been a run on WR's and Kupp was gone by that time. I think that is why they were so giddy about that pick. Knowing they got BOTH guys they coveted. JMHO

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And how do you feel about the off season so far?

dqtPFG7.jpg

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay just whipping out stats and comments on Josh Reynolds (17 yards per catch) off the top of his head while speaking 90 miles an hour.......this guy received an Einstein brain in a football coaches body. I know that's his job, but it's nice to see he knows the draft picks inside out and is passionate about how they will be productive. Overall, the Rams have a lot of talent that has been in a coma, but this dude and his staff are going to bring it back to life. All I know is that A-hole predicting the Rams to win 3 games this season better be ready to eat some crow.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This presser really answered a lot of questions, especially the " Not Drafting O-Line Questions" ! I really feel GREAT about this Draft! (y)(y)
Can't wait for OTA's!!:yess:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I have to say, McVay is one cool and smooth dude. For as young as he is and being a first time HC, he is very good at handling and asking questions. He never stammers or stutters. Yes he seems to have some "standard" answers to things, but he quickly backs up his statements without looking like he is caught off guard about anything. And he is so relaxed, laid back and smooth. I kinda expected him to be a little "uptight" being in such a position of prominence at such a young age, but he is handling it beautifully.

I guess we will see how he is when first sign of adversity hits. He just seems so comfortable in himself and his position.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Goff & Gurley should be mighty thankful for McVay & Kromer.

Young Goff especially needs to learn the fine art of entertaining as he has a large stable of equally young receivers that should be practicing near daily prior to the opening of camp. Lesson 1 - Developing Chemistry. Quality food & beverage following a good workout helps ease the stress & pain. Lesson 2 - Help the new guys learn the play-book. Oh yeah, include Sullivan and our in-house back-up center trainee so you can get that whole under center snap thing down & Mannion to help spread the ball around. Make Austin split the bill with you, I hear he can afford it. Hire a caterer if you haven't the skills behind a BBQ grill. (I'm available).
They talked about Sullivan. Stated how great he was in the classroom @ mini camp. Sounds like a guy thats going to help considerably with the learning curve of a new system.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have to say, McVay is one cool and smooth dude. For as young as he is and being a first time HC, he is very good at handling and asking questions. He never stammers or stutters. Yes he seems to have some "standard" answers to things, but he quickly backs up his statements without looking like he is caught off guard about anything. And he is so relaxed, laid back and smooth. I kinda expected him to be a little "uptight" being in such a position of prominence at such a young age, but he is handling it beautifully.

I guess we will see how he is when first sign of adversity hits. He just seems so comfortable in himself and his position.
It was funny listening to Snead talk about his energy. His story about Sam Rodgers is both funny and telling, about what a great coach this guy is going to be. Getting so hyped up about a FB?(As Snead put it) Not many people get excited about that position.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have to say, McVay is one cool and smooth dude. For as young as he is and being a first time HC, he is very good at handling and asking questions. He never stammers or stutters.

I could not agree more the exchanged about when they were asked about how he and Snead were able to work together and if the exchanges were positive, Snead started answering of course and McVay piped in..."What if the answer was no?" Priceless...Also @ReddingRam if that is you in your avatar I'm amazed of how much you look like actor Bruce McGill.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I could not agree more the exchanged about when they were asked about how he and Snead were able to work together and if the exchanges were positive, Snead started answering of course and McVay piped in..."What if the answer was no?" Priceless...Also @ReddingRam if that is you in your avatar I'm amazed of how much you look like actor Bruce McGill.
yep. that is me