Post Draft Biggest Roster Needs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Now that the NFL Draft is over which positions do you feel like are the biggest needs for the Rams? Going into the Draft I thought a few of the biggest needs were WR, Safety, RB, OLB and OG positions. They seemed to really help themselves in those positions with the drafting (or, UDFA signing) of Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey (WR), Alec Ogletree, Phillip Steward (OLB), Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham (RB), Barrett Jones (OC/OG), and TJ McDonald, Ray Ray Armstrong, Cody Davis (Safety). After this weekend I think the Rams biggest needs for the Rams roster is their Safety position with the RB, OL and OLB still needing to add players for depth.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Like you said, maybe some depth, but for the first time in a lonnnnnnnnng time I am very comfortable with every position on our roster! :boing:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I feel good about the offseason reinforcements at WR and along the OL.

The uncertainty and weakness remains at Safety.

We are strong at the top at CB and Linebacker, but depth is a concern.

So, I'd focus on S, LB, and CB as we round out the roster.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Depth, and like others said our safety's do have a few uncertainties... McDonald will probably start, but just how good he is a question, as well as who starts next to him.

I'm pretty comfortable going into the season though.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Depth, and like others said our safety's do have a few uncertainties... McDonald will probably start, but just how good he is a question, as well as who starts next to him.

What are your thoughts on Ray Ray Armstrong? The little memory I have of him is that he is very, very physical and has an attitude (in the good sense!)! Can he cover and how much do you think last year's layoff is going to hurt him? Any chance he can contribute next season and possibly even start sometime in the future?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
paceram said:
bluecoconuts said:

What are your thoughts on Ray Ray Armstrong? The little memory I have of him is that he is very, very physical and has an attitude (in the good sense!)! Can he cover and how much do you think last year's layoff is going to hurt him? Any chance he can contribute next season and possibly even start sometime in the future?
Armstrong was a projected first round draft pick by Kiper prior to his junior season, but his off-the-field shit caused his stock to plummet to unprecedented depths after he was booted from the team by Al Golden. Another boom or bust pick with the potential to be a MASSIVE upgrade to the defensive backfield. More of a box safety who doesn't just hit dudes - he freaking trucks people. If the Rams are able to keep plays in front of them by generating a decent pass-rush, then we're going to deliver a world of pain to people this year. No kidding. A WORLD of pain.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Dude said:
paceram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Armstrong was a projected first round draft pick by Kiper prior to his junior season, but his off-the-field shyte caused his stock to plummet to unprecedented depths after he was booted from the team by Al Golden. Another boom or bust pick with the potential to be a MASSIVE upgrade to the defensive backfield. More of a box safety who doesn't just hit dudes - he freaking trucks people. If the Rams are able to keep plays in front of them by generating a decent pass-rush, then we're going to deliver a world of pain to people this year. No kidding. A WORLD of pain.

For some reason when I think of Ray Ray Armstrong I think of the Raiders Jack Tatum! I don't know if that is a fair comparison or not but I certainly hope so!

had

Rookie
The Dude said:
If the Rams are able to keep plays in front of them by generating a decent pass-rush, then we're going to deliver a world of pain to people this year. No kidding. A WORLD of pain.

This Rams defense is going to rape the horses.

--Edit--that is a Three Amigos quote, so I figure it's okay. Pwn.--

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ray Ray has tons of potential. But he is going to need a lot of coaching up to control his aggression. Looking at his highlight reel, he would draw a penalty 75% of the time in the NFL. So, get that under control and you may have found a diamond.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not like they're gonna change anything now, but I'm just not that confident about the RBs right now. I hope, hope, hope they prove me wrong.

It's mostly depth issues now...OL depth, CB depth...pretty much everywhere. That's not so bad, though.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

I agree, we need a guy that can take 30 snaps a game if the need is there. Stop the run and eat up blockers. Pass rush skills would be a bonus but not required. Just rotational meat.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

I agree, we need a guy that can take 30 snaps a game if the need is there. Stop the run and eat up blockers. Pass rush skills would be a bonus but not required. Just rotational meat.
Nice term, "rotational meat"...couldn't have said it better, or funnier, and I like both.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

Nice term, "rotational meat"...couldn't have said it better, or funnier, and I like both.
I agree with that too. I think the Rams believe they have a very good 3rd DE in Hayes and believe Conrath can become a good player. I don't think the Rams were feeling that pressed to get another D lineman. Maybe next year, they'll have the extra picks to just start adding depth players.

It's funny next year in the draft, we could go into it without any true glaring needs. The only exceptions might be: running back, safety (if McDonald or Stewart can't play FS), WR (if those we drafted don't work out), and RT (if Saffold doesn't resign)

Simba

Rookie
I think Ogletree is not ready for the NFL yet.I hope I am wrong ... maybe we can reach an agreemant with daryl Smith ...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Remains Offensive Right Tackle. Rams did sign a strickly ORT in UDFA Branden Brown Monday he has good size 6-5 310 pounder should will give everyone favorite Joe Barksdale a good run. Barksdale is more left than right flunked out with the Raiders @ ORT, Ty Nsekhe is way more left than right. Chris Williams was drafted strictly as a left OT has flunk out numerous times @ ORT in his four yrs with the Bears yrs already. Saffold has never play ORT.....and everyone says its easy to play ORT ? If Jake Long goes down the Rams are going to either have to flip Saffold again to OLT thus leaving the ORT gaping..... :bummed:

Wondering where our In Line Blocking TE is? Kendricks is the H-back/move TE/FB and Jarred Cook is a ton more receiver than blocker...McNeil is only 235 pounds and sure did not see any blocking material there. The only guy I know is Harkey. Rams added Phillip Lutzenkirchen who much more of a H-back on the move type guy but he could fill this role.