Post Combine Fan Mock 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
A few years ago I was very active on several pages and boards when it came to posting my own mock drafts. I like figuring out intriguing fits for the Rams system and hearing as much feedback as possible. So lets begin with my first Rams mock for 2017.

2.5 (37) Gareon Conley CB OSU (6' 195)
gareon-conley-by-jeremy-birmingham_1024_hsamzt.jpg

I want to put Forrest Lamp's name here so bad but I don't he makes it to pick 37. With the rumors Trumaine Johnson is being shopped the Rams will need another corner who can play on the outside. This is a very deep class and I wont doubt if the Rams double dip at this position. Conley is a good press corner that can cover the field but needs to work on run support. I know everyone is calling for offensive pieces but I assume that the Rams will sign at least one receiver and offensive lineman before the draft and even if they sign a corner they will still need to fill another outside corner spot because Gaines, a Fisher guy, hasn't been getting it done.

3.5 (69) Taylor Moton OT/OG W. Mich (6'5 319)
taylor-motonjpg-98591c7464c6bf55.jpg

Big player who I think has some tools to play tackle but would be a better guard fit. Power, power, power! Set him in front of Gurley and watch the run game improve.Plug him next to Rob Havenstein and trust that Kromer can work with some of the other young players on the Rams OL.

4.5 (112) Bucky Hodges TE VT (6'6 257)
94d720_ca672020c5df4b339e9cc8193e57fdf3~mv2.jpg

I've seen several people bump his draft value up after his physical tools showed at the combine (4.57 forty, 39in vert, 11'2 broad jump), but what I saw was a guy who has never been in the three point stance and has a lot of work when it comes to running routes besides hitting the seem. Which I believe McVay should be up to the task, a former TE coach who worked with Jordan Reed, McVay won't make Hodges an every down player in year 1, but with Kendricks and Higbee the Rams will be fine. So why should be draft Bucky? Its BPA (best player available) and he adds an immediate redzone threat and if pans out could the the Jimmy Graham of this draft! Or Fendi Onobun if y'all remember him.

4.36 (141) Jalen Robinette WR Air Force (6'3 220)
460x.jpg

Ran a lot slower than I thought, but has the ability to use size at the line and combination of deep separation to become a deep threat. Averaged like over 27 per catch in college. A bit raw of a prospect who will need work but with Air Force work ethic I'm sure that won't be an issue.

5.5 (149) Brian Allen CB Utah (6'3 215)
29022702343_c0a206e183_o.jpg

A page from Seattle's playbook. Allen a 6'3 WR who converted to defense has raw tools and could benefit from his length in bump and run coverage. Pair that with a Wade Phillips pass rush and a year or two down the line could be a very good corner in the league. He is raw, tartare, actually but could find a role on ST while he hones is natural ability.

6.5 (189) Devonte' Fields DE Louisville (6'2 236)
devonte-fields-louisville.jpg

A talented athlete with motor issues. I normally don't like these kind of players in later rounds because they never pan out and I'd rather have a core special teamer that works hard then a guy who takes plays off. But with the switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 we will need to find someone to play OLB opposite side of Robert Quinn. Even if we sign a vet we will still need depth and I hope we can benefit from his upside.

7.5 (223) Speedy Noil WR Texas A&M (5'11 199)
920x920.jpg

Noil has off the field issues, but damnit he is talented. The number one "athlete" coming out of high school, Noil has done nothing but get in his own way. He is talented though and maybe putting him in the LA lights won't help him but the Rams need talent on the roster and can roll the dice here. Some leaders in the locker room will have to put him in his place. Also has KR value to maybe make up for the possibility of losing Cunningham

7.16 (234) Khalid Abdullah RB JMU (5'10 220)
b2198841-5d2c-4bb6-a793-2df38fbb5423-large16x9_asnkhalidabdullahjmu

Most places I see him listed at 220 but I've also seem him listed at 194. A shame he wasn't invited to the combine after he tore up North Dokata State in the FCS semi finals and won the FCS Championship. Has a good pop and power, but I can't tell how fast he is because he can break out, but you see him sometimes get caught from behind. Just a good football player who could fight with the others on our roster form a practice squad spot.

Please let's start a discussion on which players you like or don't like and I have too much fun making these so I'll be posting one every few weeks or so until the draft.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Love the Gareon Conley pick in the 2'nd, but a lot will depend on whether TruJo remains or is traded. I won't comment on your draft because I haven't seen it set up with free agency first, and that begins in only a few hours. Free agency will be the big decider in which way the draft turns for us.

Welcome aboard, hope to see more of these once free agency is mostly behind us. jmo

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2.5 (37) Gareon Conley CB OSU (6' 195)
gareon-conley-by-jeremy-birmingham_1024_hsamzt.jpg

I want to put Forrest Lamp's name here so bad but I don't he makes it to pick 37. With the rumors Trumaine Johnson is being shopped the Rams will need another corner who can play on the outside. This is a very deep class and I wont doubt if the Rams double dip at this position. Conley is a good press corner that can cover the field but needs to work on run support. I know everyone is calling for offensive pieces but I assume that the Rams will sign at least one receiver and offensive lineman before the draft and even if they sign a corner they will still need to fill another outside corner spot because Gaines, a Fisher guy, hasn't been getting it done.

3.5 (69) Taylor Moton OT/OG W. Mich (6'5 319)
taylor-motonjpg-98591c7464c6bf55.jpg

Big player who I think has some tools to play tackle but would be a better guard fit. Power, power, power! Set him in front of Gurley and watch the run game improve.Plug him next to Rob Havenstein and trust that Kromer can work with some of the other young players on the Rams OL.

4.5 (112) Bucky Hodges TE VT (6'6 257)
94d720_ca672020c5df4b339e9cc8193e57fdf3~mv2.jpg

I've seen several people bump his draft value up after his physical tools showed at the combine (4.57 forty, 39in vert, 11'2 broad jump), but what I saw was a guy who has never been in the three point stance and has a lot of work when it comes to running routes besides hitting the seem. Which I believe McVay should be up to the task, a former TE coach who worked with Jordan Reed, McVay won't make Hodges an every down player in year 1, but with Kendricks and Higbee the Rams will be fine. So why should be draft Bucky? Its BPA (best player available) and he adds an immediate redzone threat and if pans out could the the Jimmy Graham of this draft! Or Fendi Onobun if y'all remember him.
Loved your 1st 3 picks, the only problem is, after Conley, I don't think the next 2 will last until the Rams pick!

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Loved your 1st 3 picks, the only problem is, after Conley, I don't think the next 2 will last until the Rams pick!

I think Moton could go round 2 if a team really sees him being a tackle but I think the best fit is gaurd which lowers his value.

Hodges could go anywhere from round 2-5 depending on the confidence of a TE coach to mold him.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I liked the first three picks, especially if they're there--(I saw your reasoning so it's certainly possible. The two guys I don't like are Robinette and Fields for the exact reasons you listed. I'd replace the Robinette pick with John Toth the C from Kentucky-----just drafting Moton would still leave us without a good C on he roster. Liked what you did with Brian Allen (another guy in the same mold is Brendon Langley)----both guys are ex-WR learning to play corner and are big and athletic. I can also Les trading one or both of the 7th rounders, along with next years 6th rounder, to get another 5th round pick in this years draft (quality over quanity thing). These are JMHO of course, but think you did a quality job with your draft. Thanks, I enjoyed reading it!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Conley doesn't seem like he'll be there in the 2nd...I'm actually hoping for either King, or that kid outta Colorado in the 3rd...Witherspoon I believe.
Love Moton...think he could play tackle...he has some very nice fundamentals....

I also saw Hodges play....Looks like a future beast. He has "Gods Gift" tattooed on the back of both arms. Like that too.

Robinette is too slow for my tastes...We always have a team filled with slow guys...Or fast guys that can't catch. Time to break that trend.

Love Allen....Love the Utah players...Their program should be top 10 in a few years...I watched that QB Williams in high school out here. Narbonne I believe.

Fields has motor issues? Really? No way McVay drafts him. Better a small school guy that wants it...Like....want a name? Here's one
Dylan Donahue
http://draftblaster.com/2017-NFL-Draft/schools/west-georgia/dylan-donahue-olb/

View: https://medium.com/nfl-draft/dylan-donahue-olb-west-georgia-5e3fd9145e81#.4q43mr7en

I like Speedy on name alone...He had some explosive jumps at the combine...and didn't even run a 40. Sounds like a replacement to a certain returner set to make 14 million in 2017. Nuff said.

Any RB selected should be of the udfa variety....never heard of this guy....I'll check him out...Still holding out hope for Mixon....Think he falls to the 7th...Anywho, any back must compliment Gurley...that means fast, scat-back, 3rd down receiver type...is this Abdulla?

Great work...keep em coming! Strength of this draft is defensive...but that should make some offensive talent pushed down or/and overlooked.

Still waiting for someone to find a place for one of those Fl. LB's Davis & Anazolne (how do you spell his name?)... Hell, I'm still liking that pit bull like dude from Tenn. Maybin. Ogletree needs a running mate, so we can move Barron back to SS/FS

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also saw Hodges play....Looks like a future beast. He has "Gods Gift" tattooed on the back of both arms. Like that too.

I will never understand the Hodges love. He's such a buyer beware kid. People fall for the guy because he's an athlete, but he's a TE who doesn't block and doesn't catch the ball well. He's basically Jared Cook.

Any RB selected should be of the udfa variety....never heard of this guy....I'll check him out...Still holding out hope for Mixon....Think he falls to the 7th...Anywho, any back must compliment Gurley...that means fast, scat-back, 3rd down receiver type...is this Abdulla?

I bet Mixon goes in Round 3 or 4.

Still waiting for someone to find a place for one of those Fl. LB's Davis & Anazolne (how do you spell his name?)... Hell, I'm still liking that pit bull like dude from Tenn. Maybin. Ogletree needs a running mate, so we can move Barron back to SS/FS

Reeves-Maybin is too small. Most people are avoiding Davis because we'd have to take him in the second. I'd avoid Anzalone because he can't stay healthy.(love his game when he's on the field, though)