Possibilities....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
One big thing the Rams are doing this off season is making it (potentially) much tougher to prep to face their offense. For the last several years it has been stack the box to stop Jackson. Amendola added a bit of a thought to an effective slot receiver. However, the quickest way to stop a passing game is to get pressure right at the QB (something Martz is still struggling to get his head around). It is a good sign of progress when a guy who started last year (Quinn at G) would not be seen as a suitable backup this year.

That said....what interests me the most about the skill players the Rams have picked up this offseason is the possibilities it offers in terms of alignments.

I can see a two TE set with Cook and Kendricks, Pead at RB Austin and Givens at WR. You could go two tights down and run the ball, or, split Cook in the slot and either run or pass. The flexability that a guys like Cook and Austin give the OC is great. I really, really like Cook in the slot, can create major mismatches. Too fast for most LB and too big for most DBs.

A no huddle with Austin, Givens, Quick, Cook and either Pettis or Kendricks can be a lot for a D to handle. If they are in a dime Cook and Kendricks slide back in and Austin can run the ball....or spread the field and he can still run the ball. All I know is the prospect of 6' 5" very fast Cook in the slot and Givens in motion and Austin lining up all over should give D coordinators nightmares. The quickest way to attack an offensive with the potential to be that explosive is the blitz....with both T spots improved and hopefully a sured up interior I would be begging teams to blitz. If the Rams are able to establish a solid running game with the abscence of Jackson teams will really be forced (potentially) to pick their poisen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yup. I've been dreaming up scenarios with all the guys we had even before we drafted Austin.

Now I can add about 50 or so new combinations.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I would line them up in trips (Cook split, Givens stacked behind and Austin in motion towards them........) and then you could run all sorts of things out of there......and spint out the first 2 and have Austin squat about 3 yds off....and there would be a huge space where the defenders ran off in anticipation.......

Or have Cook fire out like to block have Givens take a step back like to take a bubble screen and have Austin simply run a wheel which is where Sam would go after he pump fakes the Safety......

Or.......
or.....
or.....

Damn I'm giddy right now thinking about the possibilities.......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bomebadeeda said:
I would line them up in trips (Cook split, Givens stacked behind and Austin in motion towards them........) and then you could run all sorts of things out of there......and spint out the first 2 and have Austin squat about 3 yds off....and there would be a huge space where the defenders ran off in anticipation.......

Or have Cook fire out like to block have Givens take a step back like to take a bubble screen and have Austin simply run a wheel which is where Sam would go after he pump fakes the Safety......

Or.......
or.....
or.....

It is going to test Shotty's creativity!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Moving Austin around will be fun to watch. Putting Tavon in motion will be the key to making sure he's getting off the LOS cleanly,because it will be an adjustment for him initially IMO....facing pro corners/safeties and LB's who know how to jam and chip little guys is something i'm sure the Rams will coach him up on being prepared for. Amendola was pretty good at that,and he was a smallish guy too.

Like Fisher said in the press conference yesterday,the addition of Austin opens things up for guys like Givens,Cook and our RB's.
I'm excited about putting him in the backfield with Kendricks to be honest,which would allow for Cook to be the slot guy and make opposing LB's go into deer in headlights mode. You could run or pass out of that formation,but the attention given to Austin behind the LOS would be the key.

Shotty has got to be thrilled.

TomSlick

UDFA
Even the "cheesy" WR screen will work. I say "cheesy" because it hasn't worked here since the days of Az Hakim. Quickness, speed and moves...WOW!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I mean forget about the WR bubble screen for a sec,i'm talking about running a simple HB screen for Tavon ala Marshall Faulk/Darren Sproles. There has to be a page in the playbook for that. Getting this kid the ball in space will be where he does the most damage.

TomSlick

UDFA
mojorizen7 said:
I mean forget about the WR bubble screen for a sec,i'm talking about running a simple HB screen for Tavon ala Marshall Faulk/Darren Sproles. There has to be a page in the playbook for that. Getting this kid the ball in space will be where he does the most damage.

Hard to believe we are talking about the RAMS here. A killer weapon on our offense...amazing.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
CGI_Ram said:
bomebadeeda said:

Or.......
or.....
or.....

It is going to test Shotty's creativity!
I'm sorry......Schotty has creativity?....... No I would say it will force him to try something a bit more south of vanilla................ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: