Positives From Eagles Loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There are a few in my opinion; 1) We're #1 in the League in Passing D. 2) We're 8th in the League in 3rd Down efficiency. 3) We're forcing opposing QB's to throw off their Back foot a lot, even if we're not getting sacks yet! And 4) At least in the Eagles game, We had 6 tackles for loss against the run. Not Bad Stats!

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Then you have my sympathy that you can't find any solace in the progress of AD throughout the game , he clearly came in nervous overthrowing people and INSTEAD of continuing to melt down , trying to score 10 points on every throw he settled down completed a lot of passes,never mind he was throwing against some prevent defenses ,he took what he was given,which is what 90% of completions amount to anyway .

I began this season with the belief that WITH Sam Bradford ,we could end up 7-9 or worse with narrower margins in some loses and still be a better team considering the divisions we play against this year.

IF someone had told me during training camp that AD would be named the starter after 3 games this year ,I wouldn't have expected we would be competitive at all, I would expect that being down that many points we'd probably be completely incapable of stopping a team from sacking our QB close to double digits.

Certainly a win would feel better , but I can't see ignoring what there was there to build upon ,we are still a rebuilding team playing a QB no-one expected to EVEN win a roster spot ,I gotta take that into account , I didn't predict a win Sunday nor did I predict one v Dallas , but I am predicting we beat the 9r's and then MAYBE the Hawks

IMG_51954121005792.jpeg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
he doesn't have a "NFL arm" but we already knew that

A preposterous statement. Please don't group the rest of us in with that by saying "we already knew that." No "we" didn't. What does it even mean to have an "NFL arm?"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A preposterous statement. Please don't group the rest of us in with that by saying "we already knew that." No "we" didn't. What does it even mean to have an "NFL arm?"
Maybe having an NFL Arm means something like, Arron Rodgers in the ' Commercial' after he get 'Pumped Up'!?:LOL:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
How about that Peyton Manning guy, hear he has a pretty weak arm and is doing pretty good.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
It's nice to see some competitive fire, even in the losses. This certainly doesn't look anything like the completely over matched teams of past regimes. It is a bit tough to watch the growing pains of the inexperienced players and the adjustments to the new defensive scheme, but we are building a great team for the future (possibly even later this season). I am happy to see the revival of the passing game, but we need the run game to step it up too.

jdhommert

Rookie
Thats a term used a lot when evaluating college players. What it refers to is the ability to make all the throws, but more so to throw the ball on a 40 yard rope/line. You want a QB who can zip the ball down the field 40 yards down the field on a rope, fit the ball in super tight windows, and be able to get the ball to the WR fast enough where the defender doesn't have time to read a lobbed ball and come over and make a play on the ball. It can also refer to the ability to throw accurately or throw a deep ball accurately but usually refers to arm strength

Fans often say or point out plays where a QB threw deep balls...but every QB can throw the ball deep on a rainbow. Remember Clemens deep ball? The ball would be thrown as high as it was long to make sure it got there. Anybody can do that. You can tell by Austin's throws that he doesn't have that arm strength. The ball is usually thrown on an arc/slowly etc.

What I meant by "we knew this" was coming out he wasn't considered to have a cannon for an arm or anything.

I'm not trying to knock Davis at all, he's gotten the job done so far and has done a great job

I do really question on if he can be the guy going forward though. What he's doing is a lot like what Keenum did for the Texans last year for a few games.

jdhommert

Rookie
How about that Peyton Manning guy, hear he has a pretty weak arm and is doing pretty good.
Which is why arguably the most important thing for a QB are things that Manning excels in. Intelligence, pocket presence etc etc are huge.

If you don't have a great arm you have to make up for it elsewhere.

Offtopic, but FBI (football intelligence), pocket awareness etc is why Winston is considered to be a great NFL prospect. It's not just about arm strength, so I don't want anyone to spin it as that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thats a term used a lot when evaluating college players. What it refers to is the ability to make all the throws, but more so to throw the ball on a 40 yard rope/line. You want a QB who can zip the ball down the field 40 yards down the field on a rope, fit the ball in super tight windows, and be able to get the ball to the WR fast enough where the defender doesn't have time to read a lobbed ball and come over and make a play on the ball. It can also refer to the ability to throw accurately or throw a deep ball accurately but usually refers to arm strength

Fans often say or point out plays where a QB threw deep balls...but every QB can throw the ball deep on a rainbow. Remember Clemens deep ball? The ball would be thrown as high as it was long to make sure it got there. Anybody can do that. You can tell by Austin's throws that he doesn't have that arm strength. The ball is usually thrown on an arc/slowly etc.

What I meant by "we knew this" was coming out he wasn't considered to have a cannon for an arm or anything.

I'm not trying to knock Davis at all, he's gotten the job done so far and has done a great job

I do really question on if he can be the guy going forward though. What he's doing is a lot like what Keenum did for the Texans last year for a few games.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your previous statement I just don't happen to agree. To me a QB with an "NFL arm" gets the ball to the appropriate receiver with just the right velocity, timing, and touch so he has a good chance of catching it. Austin Davis, according to his stats so far, seems to fit that description.

There are some QB's, both past and present, who don't throw a pretty pass nor have plenty of zip on the ball and yet have been and are still quite successful. There are others, both past and present, who have cannon arms but lack touch and timing and have not been successful.

I will agree however that Austin Davis' style will most likely lead to more interceptions, but then Kurt Warner threw his share and it didn't seem to bother Mike Martz as long as he threw TD passes as well.

What I'm seeing in Austin Davis is a diamond-in-the-rough who just needs to be coached up and given plenty of game experience so he can truly develop. He has the intangibles of guts, timing, and touch - so let us hope he stays healthy and keeps improving from week to week.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Thanks for taking the time to explain your previous statement I just don't happen to agree. To me a QB with an "NFL arm" gets the ball to the appropriate receiver with just the right velocity, timing, and touch so he has a good chance of catching it. Austin Davis, according to his stats so far, seems to fit that description.

There are some QB's, both past and present, who don't throw a pretty pass nor have plenty of zip on the ball and yet have been and are still quite successful. There are others, both past and present, who have cannon arms but lack touch and timing and have not been successful.

I will agree however that Austin Davis' style will most likely lead to more interceptions, but then Kurt Warner threw his share and it didn't seem to bother Mike Martz as long as he threw TD passes as well.

What I'm seeing in Austin Davis is a diamond-in-the-rough who just needs to be coached up and given plenty of game experience so he can truly develop. He has the intangibles of guts, timing, and touch - so let us hope he stays healthy and keeps improving from week to week.

Yeah ,IMO he's not at his ceiling ,they say Sam came back this year with more zip on his ball than ever , so arm strength is something you can improve upon and he's getting the experience, GOD KNOWS I hope he's" the solution",which reminds me of a story.

I had this kid on my wrestling team , not a real good wrestler but a gamer who could fill a slot and score some points ,but he kept missing his weight. He'd leave practice a pound or two under and then the next morning be three pounds over.
He missed weight exactly that way on a Sat tournament which meant we had to forfeit 5 matches in his weight class. He swore all he'd eaten the night before was a sandwich and only drank 16ozs of water .So he was under two and consumed at most 2 lbs ,considering the "float " of 1 to 2 pounds overnight he should have been a pound under,but came in 3 over.Something did not compute.
I sat him down and explained the physics of the situation and told him this,"If that's all you ate and drink son you are the solution to world hunger,you can gain weight out of thin air" From then on out I called him "the solution" and he never missed weight again.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Sam came back this year with more zip on his ball than ever , so arm strength is something you can improve upon
I always wondered about that myself. I know players have natural abilities, talents, and limitations, but I figured that arm strength could be improved with proper technique and strength training.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I always wondered about that myself. I know players have natural abilities, talents, and limitations, but I figured that arm strength could be improved with proper technique and strength training.
There are several ways to improve "arm strength" not the least of which is leg strength. But if you were to ID Davis worst throws Sunday he overthrew , and watching his delivery he doesn't throw max effort like Clemens did , some of his perceived lack of arm strength is touch

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

But just imagine if he actually had an NFL arm.

He probably be doing so well he wouldn't have to shill crappy pizza to make ends meet.