Position Battles: 4th TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
With Brodine out with injury that leaves the spot to Cunningham and Bayer. Based off last night Bayer has the edge. Does this team keep 4 TEs? Is there another suitor?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The edge? That's understating it. Not only did Bayer look really good, Cunningham looked pretty bad.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The edge? That's understating it. Not only did Bayer look really good, Cunningham looked pretty bad.
I agree, however there are three more games left to make a decision.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I agree, however there are three more games left to make a decision.

True - but sometimes you have the kind of performance that makes the coaching staff start to wind down the evaluation process and move towards getting the 4 keeper tight ends ready for the season. Wouldn't surprise me if Cunningham started getting fewer reps - which makes it all the harder to get back in the battle.

But it is just the first preseason game.

FRO

Legend
True - but sometimes you have the kind of performance that makes the coaching staff start to wind down the evaluation process and move towards getting the 4 keeper tight ends ready for the season. Wouldn't surprise me if Cunningham started getting fewer reps - which makes it all the harder to get back in the battle.

But it is just the first preseason game.
Don't get me wrong I feel Cunningham has a ton of make up work to do. I was highly impressed with Bayer. Very good hands and athleticism. I think Bayer is on very solid ground, but there is a lot of time left. That's why I said he has the edge over having it all sown up.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Rams declared their identity to be a smash-mouth run based offense so I think the primary concern for a 4th TE is blocking. Bayer had some nice catches but neither he nor Cunningham blocked well enough last night to be a positive addition to the active roster in the blocking department.

FRO

Legend
The Rams declared their identity to be a smash-mouth run based offense so I think the primary concern for a 4th TE is blocking. Bayer had some nice catches but neither he nor Cunningham blocked well enough last night to be a positive addition to the active roster in the blocking department.
Fair point, but you have two pretty good blockers in Kendricks and Harkey. Having another receiving type TE wouldn't hurt.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I understand the short comings of Bayer @ this point but Rams kept McNeil less talent than Bayer on the roster all season in 2013. Bayer seems to have the ability to find an open area, super soft hands & can run too. His Blocking was not poor just not close to Harkey but this can be developed. Lance & Cory are very close in abilities...Lance 's past issues in drops is well known...so is the drops of Jared...Cory is for all purposes our FB/H-Back seldom use in line.....Bayer would seem to have the best hands already of the bunch! You do not release that for a small version OT like Justice Cunningham or throw back FB Kadeem Jones because we are a run first offense...question could Lance or Cory fill the shoes of what Jared Cook does? no but Bayer could fill some of that & may even surprise IMO. Bayer will be plucked early off the PS where players like Cunningham will be there all season so will Jones.

I see a lot of latent potential in Bayer & might be more useful to Sam Bradford than a 6th WR like of Givens or a Pettis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I liked TE Alex Bayer from the beginning just had a feeling because I watched him play a few games at Bowling Green and he did not disappoint. It seems the coaching staff likes Cunningham, but IMO Bayer offers much more upside and a couple more games like this one and IMO Bayer will make the squad and might be an actual find.

Besides I like guys that attended college in the Buckeye State, however, I realize I'm a tad biased being a University of Dayton Graduate.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I understand the short comings of Bayer @ this point but Rams kept McNeil less talent than Bayer on the roster all season in 2013. Bayer seems to have the ability to find an open area, super soft hands & can run too. His Blocking was not poor just not close to Harkey but this can be developed. Lance & Cory are very close in abilities...Lance 's past issues in drops is well known...so is the drops of Jared...Cory is for all purposes our FB/H-Back seldom use in line.....Bayer would seem to have the best hands already of the bunch! You do not release that for a small version OT like Justice Cunningham or throw back FB Kadeem Jones because we are a run first offense...question could Lance or Cory fill the shoes of what Jared Cook does? no but Bayer could fill some of that & may even surprise IMO. Bayer will be plucked early off the PS where players like Cunningham will be there all season so will Jones.

I see a lot of latent potential in Bayer & might be more useful to Sam Bradford than a 6th WR like of Givens or a Pettis.

bayer-aspirin.jpg

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Fair point, but you have two pretty good blockers in Kendricks and Harkey. Having another receiving type TE wouldn't hurt.

I know the comparison is unavoidable, but they are not playing the same position, in that they have vastly different roles at this point in the offense. Cunningham is being used predominantly in Harkey's role. Lining up in he backfield, as a lead blocker, and as an occasional in line TE.

Bayer is mostly being used as a receiver, be it as an online TE, or even lining up in the slot ala, Cook. They each have had their fair share of moments in training camp, and while it was obvious to everyone who had the better night LAST NIGHT, lets not put too much emphasis on ONE GAME.

Also, J. Cunningham played most of the 2nd half on one leg, as he seemed to be dealing with an ankle injury, but tried to play thru it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
whoever wins, unless they play ST, won't dress. Probably a PS candidate anyway. Bayer has better hands, the only way he doesn't beat out Cunningham if he can't/won't block. Cunningham could be a 2014 version of Kendricks. Trying so hard, but some bad results.