Pompei/clayton: Nfl Perception On Bradford Still Strong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think that's entirely dependent on where he goes... could easily see him getting OROY if he went to the vikings - only thing on offense that's lacking there is a qb.
Of course it will be Watkins

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of us can agree... Sam Bradford is one of the most polarizing players in the NFL. So many opinions and views on it, don't think there is much more to say. Just have to hope he comes back next year stronger then ever, there are some concerns imo.

Take a look at the poll.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/conversation/_/id/4194517

I found this interesting as well.

The Rams in general, and Bradford specifically, get such little national media attention is always interesting to see what the popular opinion is out there. Not that it matters.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You wouldn't include the guy we chose #8 overall last year???
I wouldn't. He's valuable to the team, but not quite in that go to guy mold.

I don't think he was ever expected to be a #1, but instead a unique weapon.

iced

exactly. He's a weapon/playmaker that's a match up threat in a sense, but not your go to/clutch guy that's your best friend.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Wow trade up to the #8 spot for a WR and he's not a true #1 guy what were they thinking????

Ram_of_Old

I agree with the premise, but perception is nice.....championships are nicer.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
lol right

and people act like "#1 receivers" aren't that common - I'd disagree.

Brandon Marshall
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Demaryius Thomas
Andre Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant
Alshon Jeffrey
Josh Gordon
Roddy White
Larry Fitzgerald
Pierre Garcon
Vincent Jackson
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Desean Jackson
Dwayne Bowe

Might even include younger receivers Hilton, Keenan Allen, Wright, Alshon Jeffrey.
after seeing this list I wondered how we would view the QB's of those teams if you switched those WR's with Givens.

Sam is better than I thought, and I love the kid.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think that's entirely dependent on where he goes... could easily see him getting OROY if he went to the vikings - only thing on offense that's lacking there is a qb.
You can say the same thing about Houston. They aren't that far removed from being a Super Bowl favorite and if, like many predict, they draft Bridgewater and he's as good as some think, he'll win OROY there too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They were thinking he'd be a unique weapon, as I said.
Yep...and i'll take that decision to draft a gadget player #8 overall a step further. Special teams have always been an X factor in turning momentum in games,just like turnovers,and while teams don't draft special teams players in the top half of the draft,there is a tremendous value attached to having a player who can change the game with one touch. You don't draft a PR in the top 10 but there aren't many PR's who can line up inside or outside at WR or in the backfield as a RB.

Tavon was not drafted #8 to be a go to WR and i'm totally at peace with that. He will frighten opposing ST's next year and continue to find his role as a WR/RB.

He was drafted because he's a speedy playmaker with versatility,AND because he will single-handedly change games for us with touches. Add another piece or two at WR and watch this offense blossom behind Sam and a running game. Book it!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
exactly. He's a weapon/playmaker that's a match up threat in a sense, but not your go to/clutch guy that's your best friend.

Nor should he be expected to be. He can certainly have a DeSean Jackson esque impact if used correctly. And hell, if they actually use him out of the back-field more, who knows what he could be.

I'd be pretty damn content with a WR no matter where he's picked if he offers 1000-1200 yards a year, 17-19 yards per catch, 7-10 TDs and additional 250-500 yards rushing, 5-10 yards per carry and 3-5 TDs as a runner. That would be one heck of a weapon. Austin has that sort of ability if utilized properly.

iced

Nor should he be expected to be. He can certainly have a DeSean Jackson esque impact if used correctly. And hell, if they actually use him out of the back-field more, who knows what he could be.

I'd be pretty damn content with a WR no matter where he's picked if he offers 1000-1200 yards a year, 17-19 yards per catch, 7-10 TDs and additional 250-500 yards rushing, 5-10 yards per carry and 3-5 TDs as a runner. That would be one heck of a weapon. Austin has that sort of ability if utilized properly.

Exactly. This is where I'm at - do I need a "#1 WR" ? - No... I just need something that resembles a productive receiver and I don't see it on this roster, and I'm wondering what the hell people who do are seeing?

This isn't just some "oh it's a lapse in a production - they'll get better" - Franchise low record in yards and catches or somethin' since what, 83? - that's 30 years.... Only team in the NFL who's #1 WR didn't catch a Touchdown? hmmmm.... You blame that on back up QB all you want - 31 other teams, some with back ups and some without, all managed to atleast get 1 touchdown..

iced

after seeing this list I wondered how we would view the QB's of those teams if you switched those WR's with Givens.

Sam is better than I thought, and I love the kid.

exactly - and I'm sure I forgot some receivers like Jordy Nelson.

I wonder what people would think of Andy Dalton if you took away AJ Green - or hell, swapped bradford and dalton....

iced

You can say the same thing about Houston. They aren't that far removed from being a Super Bowl favorite and if, like many predict, they draft Bridgewater and he's as good as some think, he'll win OROY there too.

I disagree - I stayed away from Arian Foster for good reason in fantasy drafts (health), and it also looks like the Texans are going to lose Ben Taint. Plus the Texans have a better defense (they were #1 pass d when we played them), meaning the Vikings will be relying on their offense a lot more (and they have the best Running back to play since Faulk/sanders)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Im still amazed fans buy into all the p.c of coaches/gm spew. Of course we dont mind an often injured player is taking a large portion of the salary cap. We love it.

Lol come on fellas

What people like you who want to bang away at his cap hit, (and it pretty obvious you don't understand the salary cap if you think they can get rid of the entire cap hit by moving him), is you don't seem to relate how all the young players, (extra draft picks, UDFA) balance it out. Everyone is so quick to say that Bradford's salary hurts this team, because they want to compare it to the other teams "post CBA" QBs and those reduced salaries.

But in most of those instances, those teams also have many more veteran contracts who balance out their salary cap numbers accordingly. Its how you manage the ENTIRE TEAM, which means you are being quite selective by zeroing in on ONE contract. K. Demoff is a master at managing the salary cap. And none of us have heard them say they are in a situation that prohibits them from acquiring players BECAUSE of limited cap space.

In fact, if anything, they have "over paid" for FA's since Fisher has been here, mainly due to the state of the franchise. As futile as this organization has been in recent history, the only way you get FA's to consider coming here is to pay over market value. That impacts the salary cap a whole lot more than Bradford's salary.

The thing I keep coming back to, as it pertains to how the Rams compare to the other teams in the division. They have managed the cap with a "pre CBA" QB salary. Let's see how the Niners, and Seahawks do in the near future when their "franchise QBs" are due to be resigned. They will face a whole lot more turmoil when it comes to maintaining their roster than the Rams will, again, basing this on the overall youth of the Rams roster, which will be even more cap friendly in that time frame.

laramsoriginal

Starter
What people like you who want to bang away at his cap hit, (and it pretty obvious you don't understand the salary cap if you think they can get rid of the entire cap hit by moving him), is you don't seem to relate how all the young players, (extra draft picks, UDFA) balance it out. Everyone is so quick to say that Bradford's salary hurts this team, because they want to compare it to the other teams "post CBA" QBs and those reduced salaries.

But in most of those instances, those teams also have many more veteran contracts who balance out their salary cap numbers accordingly. Its how you manage the ENTIRE TEAM, which means you are being quite selective by zeroing in on ONE contract. K. Demoff is a master at managing the salary cap. And none of us have heard them say they are in a situation that prohibits them from acquiring players BECAUSE of limited cap space.

In fact, if anything, they have "over paid" for FA's since Fisher has been here, mainly due to the state of the franchise. As futile as this organization has been in recent history, the only way you get FA's to consider coming here is to pay over market value. That impacts the salary cap a whole lot more than Bradford's salary.

The thing I keep coming back to, as it pertains to how the Rams compare to the other teams in the division. They have managed the cap with a "pre CBA" QB salary. Let's see how the Niners, and Seahawks do in the near future when their "franchise QBs" are due to be resigned. They will face a whole lot more turmoil when it comes to maintaining their roster than the Rams will, again, basing this on the overall youth of the Rams roster, which will be even more cap friendly in that time frame.

Clearly you didn't read my post...my op was a hypothetical trade in which Bradford and his entire cap $ could be moved...

You mention the niners and Seahawks. They are winning now so thats all that matters. We are paying a QB a lot of money to play yet the rams have been a bottom feeder the past decade. Would sure love to see a roi with Bradford. Im hoping year 5 is when he stays healthy and plays up to expectations

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Clearly you didn't read my post...my op was a hypothetical trade in which Bradford and his entire cap $ could be moved...

You mention the niners and Seahawks. They are winning now so thats all that matters. We are paying a QB a lot of money to play yet the rams have been a bottom feeder the past decade. Would sure love to see a roi with Bradford. Im hoping year 5 is when he stays healthy and plays up to expectations

A bottom feeder for the PAST DECADE, of which MOST of those years were PRIOR to Bradford getting here. And he comes into arguably the WORST situation in the history of the NFL in terms to being thrust into the NFL with a roster that was no where near NFL caliber. But yet, you want to hang it all on his $$$.

The Niners and Seahawks are NOT winning because of their QB. They are winning because they were in a much better situation when theses QBs were given the reigns. Answer this hypothetical question.... Given the rosters of either of those teams, do you think if Bradford was on EITHER of them, they would be less successful?

Anyone trying to compare these rosters over the past decade, and somehow say that Bradford is the reason we aren't winning now is just spouting some agenda.

You keep saying you want a ROI on Bradford. But you seem to completely disregard all the other factors that have absolutely nothing to do with Bradford. Why aren't you saying the same thing with regards to the contract they gave Finnegan? Or the extensions to Long and Laurinaitis? They all have similar impact on the salary cap.

You seem to say that Bradford's play, is to be judged solely on HIM. All that tells me is you are just another one of the QB watchers who thinks the only thing that determines winning and losing is the play of the QB.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

ROI? When most fans talk about ROI, they're speaking of the emotional investment, not the financial. I could give a shit about Bradford's salary and cap hit as long as the FO isn't concerned. And they aren't. But you keep beating that dead horse.

FWIW, I knew back in 2011 that we wouldn't be getting our money's worth out of Bradford, specifically regarding fans who obsess over such things.