Pompei/clayton: Nfl Perception On Bradford Still Strong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Besides you will have to pay them in four years anyway and if Manziel actually succeeds ( doubt it ) he probably holds out to be the highest paid QB in his second year.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Nothing makes me ignore posts like talk of Sam's ability versus his paycheck! Talk on the field, not money, please!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Nothing makes me ignore posts like talk of Sam's ability versus his paycheck! Talk on the field, not money, please!

Exactly, Sam's contract is not a problem, well, any more than any other good QB's contract is concerning the cap in the NFL. If you are a winning team in the NFL, your QB is going to get paid probably better than Sam. Sure, timing of the new rookie scale made Sam's contract painful to tote but it is the norm for QBs that have been in the league for 3 or 4 years or more. This is Sam's year either to live up to his pay or turn in his horns. I think everybody knows that. I think he shines and we will be scrambling to resign or extend him. If it works out like that, he will be getting a pay raise not a cut.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Same argument can be made about sam except that the other unknown prospects (Teddy/Johnny) lets the rams spend more money on FA or resigning their own players. A rookie QB will make about 15 million less than what Bradford is scheduled to rake in 2014.
At least we won't be blindsided by a big cap hit, like when Wilson and Caperdouche get their next contract.

laramsoriginal

Starter
At least we won't be blindsided by a big cap hit, like when Wilson and Caperdouche get their next contract.

If Bradford goes on to have a decent season in 2014, do you think he'll taker lesser money? He'll probably ask for market value and I don't blame him. So it would be no different than a rookie asking for more money 4 years down the road.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm not sure why continue to argue about this point. Sam is our QB next year barring any further injury/recovery issues. We're not drafting a QB in rd. 1.
Now, if Sam lights it up next year everyone will be happy anyway. If he doesn't, then I'm sure we'll see a 2015 QB picked or some FA move.
But that's a long way out. His CAP # is what it is. It's not his fault he was in the last year without a rookie salary cap. Nobody on this board is going to go to their boss and say they haven't performed to their maximum potential and request a pay cut. Peyton Manning would not be in the superbowl the last 2-3 years with what Sam had to start from.
Anyone with eyes can see Sam DID improve this year as the team and talent improved around him.
Name one playoff or SB starting QB that didn't have either a great running game, a top defense or one hell of a talented offensive group?
Sam has had none of that since being drafted. But we're getting really, really close on all of them. He hasn't played like a #1 consistently. I don't think anyone is saying he has. But the team around him hasn't been any better thus far either. (general statement meaning defense, RB's, WR's, etc. have been inconsistent across the board.)

Last edited:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Lets not act like Sam has demonstrated that he is an elite nfl QB. He has shown flashes of being good while struggling to stay healthy. Sam is going into his 5th year and we still don't know what he can do because of variable factors. That is concerning to me because of the huge cap that he carries with him. With a rookie we would not know what we're getting but his cap space would be a fraction of what sam carries.

Are you really going to compare sam to brady? Lol really? Brady has carried mediocre New England offenses for the majority of his career. Sam has demonstrated flashes at the very most.
Sam has not demonstrated is an elite NFL QB I give you that but he hasn't demonstrated he is awful either. The offense and system in NE has always been built around Brady in comparison Sam hasn't had any consistancy in OFF Cord., or talent to help him succeed on the field or stay healthy.

I'd say it's like giving our guys in the Afghanistan Civil War issued weapons to attack with (our WR's and TE's that have been inconsistant with drops and no ability) and cloth clothing for protection from injury ( our pitiful O-Line since he's been here). He hasn't been given a fair shake anyway you look at it. Ram fans have expectations so high from times Mr. Warner came out of no where and started the 3 ring circus known as The GSOT which is a rare one, probably once in a lifetime type of thing. I'm ready for us to give a chance to let Sam progress and give him the STABILTY and FIREPOWER to be judged correctly.

Last edited:

iced

Are we just going to wait for the perfect storm so sam can finally produce? Lets be real here, the guy is entering his 5th year, are we ever gonna get a consistent ROI from him? If such a trade presented itself it would be a mistake to turn it down IMO. I like Sam but not at his pay rate or enough to turn down a 5th overall pick for...if it meant getting rid of his entire salary cap hit(I believe it doesn't)

I'll reserve judgement when we can get a WR capable of being a starting receiver, and even though this may seem like i'm asking for a lot, but hopefully they can break 700 yards

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'll reserve judgement when we can get a WR capable of being a starting receiver, and even though this may seem like i'm asking for a lot, but hopefully they can break 700 yards
Amen to that man! We need a verifiable #1 WR to not only be able to be 'clutch' but recieve the focus of coverages to him so Tavon, stedman, and givens have a better chance to make a big impact. Imagine a Brandon Marshall on our team? I'm still pissed we didn't give up two 3rd's for him.... :mad:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
If Bradford goes on to have a decent season in 2014, do you think he'll taker lesser money? He'll probably ask for market value and I don't blame him. So it would be no different than a rookie asking for more money 4 years down the road.
Except that we've been working through that for the last 4 years. Those teams will have to make decisions they didn't have to for the last 2 years.

iced

Amen to that man! We need a verifiable #1 WR to not only be able to be 'clutch' but recieve the focus of coverages to him so Tavon, stedman, and givens have a better chance to make a big impact. Imagine a Brandon Marshall on our team? I'm still pissed we didn't give up two 3rd's for him.... :mad:
lol right

and people act like "#1 receivers" aren't that common - I'd disagree.

Brandon Marshall
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Demaryius Thomas
Andre Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant
Alshon Jeffrey
Josh Gordon
Roddy White
Larry Fitzgerald
Pierre Garcon
Vincent Jackson
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Desean Jackson
Dwayne Bowe

Might even include younger receivers Hilton, Keenan Allen, Wright, Alshon Jeffrey.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Brady can stand there like a statue for 5 seconds and pick and choose where he wants to throw the ball. Brady under pressure makes Bradford look like Joe Montana.

^^^^. Put Brady on the Rams of the last 7 years and see what kind of "magic" he performs. Brady has had one of the best OLs in HISTORY over the entirety of his career. The importance of pocket protection can NOT be overstated. Aikman would have struggled mightily with those Rams squads as well. I am far from a "Bradford Mom" as most on here are aware, but I see no reason to move on from him now that he finally has a team around him. Sky is the limit with this kid if you protect him.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
lol right

Brandon Marshall
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Demaryius Thomas
Andre Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant
Alshon Jeffrey
Josh Gordon
Roddy White
Larry Fitzgerald
Pierre Garcon
Vincent Jackson
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Desean Jackson
Dwayne Bowe

Might even include younger receivers Hilton, Keenan Allen, Wright, Alshon Jeffrey.
HOW DARE YOU LIST MORE THAN TWO #1 WR'S :mad:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Same argument can be made about sam except that the other unknown prospects (Teddy/Johnny) lets the rams spend more money on FA or resigning their own players. A rookie QB will make about 15 million less than what Bradford is scheduled to rake in 2014.

Ummmm to a degree maybe.....but not really.
As many have posted when you factor in dropped passes, WR's running wrong routes not getting open, poor pass protection, spotty running game, inconsistent defense..........it's nowhere near as bleak of a picture on Sam as you are portraying.....IMHO.

I'm not concerned about his pay.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Are we just going to wait for the perfect storm so sam can finally produce? Lets be real here, the guy is entering his 5th year, are we ever gonna get a consistent ROI from him? If such a trade presented itself it would be a mistake to turn it down IMO. I like Sam but not at his pay rate or enough to turn down a 5th overall pick for...if it meant getting rid of his entire salary cap hit(I believe it doesn't)

You need to get off the money angle it was a product of the bargaining agreement of the time. Nothing you can do about it and it has nothing to do with Bradford's ability which you are also discounting. Offensive ROY what more do you want for a rookie QB? Crappy talent at WR and Oline along with 3 OCs in his first 3 years.

How about his numbers for 2013 still think that was not producing??

I understand you don't like Bradford but Manziel?? He is going to make someone very sorry they wasted their time and money. And Bridgewater will not be a OROY he might develop in 3 or 4 years.

iced

And Bridgewater will not be a OROY he might develop in 3 or 4 years.

I think that's entirely dependent on where he goes... could easily see him getting OROY if he went to the vikings - only thing on offense that's lacking there is a qb.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
lol right

Brandon Marshall
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Demaryius Thomas
Andre Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant
Alshon Jeffrey
Josh Gordon
Roddy White
Larry Fitzgerald
Pierre Garcon
Vincent Jackson
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Desean Jackson
Dwayne Bowe

You wouldn't include the guy we chose #8 overall last year???