Pompei/clayton: Nfl Perception On Bradford Still Strong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

From Dan Pompei

RT@lannyosu What is perception in NFL circles on Sam Bradford? @ClaytonESPN indicated it's still strong...

Pompei's take:
I would agree with John. Put it this way, if the Rams decided they wanted to part ways with Bradford, there would be a line of teams waiting to sign him. He'd be the No. 1 target of any team in search of a veteran quarterback. Is he as highly regarded as he was when he was the No. 1 pick in the draft? No. Have we seen the best of him? I don't think so. Two things have held Bradford back. One is durability. The other is lack of consistency and ability around him. As the Rams become more stable with Jeff Fisher as their head coach and as they add to their offensive talent, I expect Bradford to continue to improve.

[sulia.com]

jjab360

Legend
Yup. If we let Bradford go right now, I have a strong feeling he would go on to become some other teams' Drew Brees, though maybe not quite to that extent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. NFL teams are desperate for QBs. Alex Smith garnered two second round picks. I don't know why there are people out there that want to cut Bradford. At worst, trade the dude. Trust me, he has value. Good backup QBs have trade value(Kolb, Cousins, Whitehurst, etc.)...you better a 26 year old former #1 pick that has proven that he is, at worst, an average starting QB has trade value.

And frankly, if we're moving on from a guy that had a QB rating above 90 and was averaging 2 passing TDs per game over nearly half the season before being hurt...we better be damn sure the guy we're getting is a great QB.

laramsoriginal

Starter
What if the raiders offer their 5th overall pick?
Any takers of said trade proposal?

I would pull the trigger if it meant getting rid of Bradford's 14+ cap number and acquiring a top 5 selection.

It would give the rams the 2nd, 5th, and 13th overall pick....damn. draft Teddy or Johnny at #2, select sammy/Mathews/Robinson at #5, select a cb at #13. On top of that the rams would be able to resign Saffold and bring in the top FA center (mack) and Free Safety (Byrd). In addition to the draft picks, rams would field a talented team

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would pull the trigger if it meant getting rid of Bradford's 14+ cap number and acquiring a top 5 selection.

It would give the rams the 2nd, 5th, and 13th overall pick....damn. draft Teddy or Johnny at #2, select sammy/Mathews/Robinson at #5, select a cb at #13. On top of that the rams would be able to resign Saffold and bring in the top FA center (mack) and Free Safety (Byrd). In addition to the draft picks, rams would field a talented team

Look at it this way. One of the picks would be for a QB you'd be "hoping" was better than Bradford AS A ROOKIE and then the other two picks would be....what you already have now.

As Jrry32 said, you roll them dice you better pray they don't come up snake eyes...

laramsoriginal

Starter
Are we just going to wait for the perfect storm so sam can finally produce? Lets be real here, the guy is entering his 5th year, are we ever gonna get a consistent ROI from him? If such a trade presented itself it would be a mistake to turn it down IMO. I like Sam but not at his pay rate or enough to turn down a 5th overall pick for...if it meant getting rid of his entire salary cap hit(I believe it doesn't)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Nope.
Wouldn't even consider it.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Are we just going to wait for the perfect storm so sam can finally produce? Lets be real here, the guy is entering his 5th year, are we ever gonna get a consistent ROI from him? If such a trade presented itself it would be a mistake to turn it down IMO. I like Sam but not at his pay rate or enough to turn down a 5th overall pick for...if it meant getting rid of his entire salary cap hit(I believe it doesn't)

As far as Sam's production, so are you saying that bad receivers and poor pass protection, not to mention until Fisher, a poor to mediocre defense, has nothing to do with how he performs?
In other words, it's all on him?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

I'll vote no too.

Since Bradford hasn't been the problem for the Rams, there'd be much higher odds of regression. And I really don't want Manziel in horns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He gave us a 90+ QB Rating and 2 passing TDs per game with weapons that were #2 in drop rate when he went down and a whole lot of struggling young players.

So no, I don't think we need a perfect storm. Just a defense that plays up to its potential and an offensive supporting cast that is solid. I think you'd find that the vast majority of NFL QBs need that.

As far as the #5 pick goes, I'd only accept that deal if I felt very strongly that Bridgewater is on the board at #2. I don't want Manziel on the Rams and I think Bortles will need some time to develop(although I'd draft him if Teddy was gone and I were a QB needy team). Bridgewater seems NFL ready to me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The perfect storm? How about some decent weather?

Great so we get a QB that MAY work out or may take a few years to pan out. Meanwhile, the rest of our players get older and more expensive in the process - just in time to have the new QB cost us an arm and a leg. Talk about suspect ROI.

This is not like virtually any other position where you are rotating the plays around to different players and have replacements coming in throughout the game. You generally have ONE QB that you figure on taking any meaningful snaps.

And I think the league knows what Sam could offer them. If someone were to be willing to give up a 5th round pick... hell - I wouldn't doubt that Cleveland would still give up it's two firsts if it wasn't for the contract. Virtually every time I hear actual coaches and GMs talk about Sam, it is very complimentary. We as fans want to see the next Manning. That's why we're fans and not coaches, GMs, or COOs. The contract is what it is. Get over it.

BTW - Exactly how did the best QB in NFL history fare when faced with the current NFC West style of defense? How did Brady do when the Giants pretty much did the same thing in those two Superbowls?

laramsoriginal

Starter
The perfect storm? How about some decent weather?

Great so we get a QB that MAY work out or may take a few years to pan out. Meanwhile, the rest of our players get older and more expensive in the process - just in time to have the new QB cost us an arm and a leg. Talk about suspect ROI.

This is not like virtually any other position where you are rotating the plays around to different players and have replacements coming in throughout the game. You generally have ONE QB that you figure on taking any meaningful snaps.

And I think the league knows what Sam could offer them. If someone were to be willing to give up a 5th round pick... hell - I wouldn't doubt that Cleveland would still give up it's two firsts if it wasn't for the contract. Virtually every time I hear actual coaches and GMs talk about Sam, it is very complimentary. We as fans want to see the next Manning. That's why we're fans and not coaches, GMs, or COOs. The contract is what it is. Get over it.

BTW - Exactly how did the best QB in NFL history fare when faced with the current NFC West style of defense? How did Brady do when the Giants pretty much did the same thing in those two Superbowls?

Lets not act like Sam has demonstrated that he is an elite nfl QB. He has shown flashes of being good while struggling to stay healthy. Sam is going into his 5th year and we still don't know what he can do because of variable factors. That is concerning to me because of the huge cap that he carries with him. With a rookie we would not know what we're getting but his cap space would be a fraction of what sam carries.

Are you really going to compare sam to brady? Lol really? Brady has carried mediocre New England offenses for the majority of his career. Sam has demonstrated flashes at the very most.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm still amazed people are worried about his contract. If the rams aren't worried about it why are these people worried about it? I don't get it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets not act like Sam has demonstrated that he is an elite nfl QB. He has shown flashes of being good while struggling to stay healthy. Sam is going into his 5th year and we still don't know what he can do because of variable factors. That is concerning to me because of the huge cap that he carries with him. With a rookie we would not know what we're getting but his cap space would be a fraction of what sam carries.

Are you really going to compare sam to brady? Lol really? Brady has carried mediocre New England offenses for the majority of his career. Sam has demonstrated flashes at the very most.

Brady can stand there like a statue for 5 seconds and pick and choose where he wants to throw the ball. Brady under pressure makes Bradford look like Joe Montana.

laramsoriginal

Starter

I'm still amazed people are worried about his contract. If the rams aren't worried about it why are these people worried about it? I don't get it.

Im still amazed fans buy into all the p.c of coaches/gm spew. Of course we dont mind an often injured player is taking a large portion of the salary cap. We love it.

Lol come on fellas

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Im still amazed fans buy into all the p.c of coaches/gm spew. Of course we dont mind an often injured player is taking a large portion of the salary cap. We love it.

Lol come on fellas
Perhaps they don't share your assessment of the guy.

ANYONE would have gotten injured behind the injury decimated offensive line of 2011. 2013 was a freak accident. 2010 and 2012, he played all 16 games.

That doesn't yell "often injured" to me.

If they thought his cap number was a problem, or they thought they could do better with one of the rookies, why bother saying otherwise?

Sam Bradford will be the Rams' starting QB of 2014, and it won't be because he took a paycut. If you don't like it, learn to love it, because it's the best thing going.

Whoo.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Perhaps they don't share your assessment of the guy.

ANYONE would have gotten injured behind the injury decimated offensive line of 2011. 2013 was a freak accident. 2010 and 2012, he played all 16 games.

That doesn't yell "often injured" to me.

If they thought his cap number was a problem, or they thought they could do better with one of the rookies, why bother saying otherwise?

Sam Bradford will be the Rams' starting QB of 2014, and it won't be because he took a paycut. If you don't like it, learn to love it, because it's the best thing going.

Whoo.

Keep in mind that I am rams fan too. I want sam to succeed I just have my doubts, big ones.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

That sounds great but there is no guarantee that Bridgewater or Manziere would be any better than Sam, and judging by the past odds are high that they would be worse.

laramsoriginal

Starter
That sounds great but there is no guarantee that Bridgewater or Manziere would be any better than Sam, and judging by the past odds are high that they would be worse.

Same argument can be made about sam except that the other unknown prospects (Teddy/Johnny) lets the rams spend more money on FA or resigning their own players. A rookie QB will make about 15 million less than what Bradford is scheduled to rake in 2014.