POLL: When a UDFA makes the final roster, you think...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

When a UDFA makes the final roster, you generally think...

• We found a diamond in the rough! Awesome!

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Maybe we messed up this offseason if the draft and free agency didn't fill the holes on the team.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Jenny, I've got your number. I've got to make you mine. Jenny, don't change your number.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
In general, when a UDFA makes the final roster, do you generally think we found a diamond in the rough? Or do you think we must have messed up somewhere and have to take guys no one wanted just to fill our spots?

Of course, all situations are going to be different, but I just wonder what people are inclined to think.

Not a lot, you have a 52 man roster an average draft of 7 players, assuming no FAs your looking at every player for 7 and a bit drafts making the roster, next to impossible. Some of the best players are UDFA once they make the team they're as good as the number 2 pick in my eyes.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think you need more choices. Rosters go back and forth. And injuries and/or Free agency (and for that matter salary cap....) changes things up. Some years guys wouldn't get the chance....but the next for a variety of reasons, they make the team....and many aren't positive or for lack of efforts of the front office to fill a spot. Look at where the Cowboys are at @ their MLB. Lee is out and they are looking a their choices and all of a sudden a guy who isn't anyone.....looks just as good as the potential vets still out there....so do you go w/ the UDFA (and save some bucks....)........or grab a high priced replacement (who might not be all that high priced but the total cost you have in the position between the injured starter and his replacement does tilt the salary cap....)?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think diamond in the rough lately, but only because as you know Snead takes pride in finding those hidden gems and spends a lot of time and effort on it. So when one hits I feel like he will be productive because I have a level of confidence in Snead that I haven't had in the people making the picks since DV was calling the shots. I feel like he found a guy that should have been picked early but was totally overlooked. I feel like we stole some talent from the rest of the league.

I agree with Bombadeeda though about the choices.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I agree with Bome above, but I voted for Jenny as I like the song. :cool: I would consider one a diamond in the rough though.. Aka London Fletcher and Charlie Armey. Now that is an UDFA.

A55VA6

Legend
Diamond in the rough for sure. Seems like most of the UDFA's that make the roster turn out to be pretty solid players.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I think diamond in the rough lately, but only because as you know Snead takes pride in finding those hidden gems and spends a lot of time and effort on it. So when one hits I feel like he will be productive because I have a level of confidence in Snead that I haven't had in the people making the picks since DV was calling the shots. I feel like he found a guy that should have been picked early but was totally overlooked. I feel like we stole some talent from the rest of the league.

I agree with Bombadeeda though about the choices.

I have to agree with Mr. Savant here. It depends on who's doing the picking. Seems like we found a pretty fair punter doing this. Also a running back who should only be better this year. Yeah, I think we have professional hunters in the woods now. Thanks Les for the perspective.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have to agree with Mr. Savant here. It depends on who's doing the picking. Seems like we found a pretty fair punter doing this. Also a running back who should only be better this year. Yeah, I think we have professional hunters in the woods now. Thanks Les for the perspective.

Our punter might be the best most amazing ever.

Which is a reason to say "yeah we punked you" to everyone.....hahaha

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you need more choices. Rosters go back and forth. And injuries and/or Free agency (and for that matter salary cap....) changes things up. Some years guys wouldn't get the chance....but the next for a variety of reasons, they make the team....and many aren't positive or for lack of efforts of the front office to fill a spot. Look at where the Cowboys are at @ their MLB. Lee is out and they are looking a their choices and all of a sudden a guy who isn't anyone.....looks just as good as the potential vets still out there....so do you go w/ the UDFA (and save some bucks....)........or grab a high priced replacement (who might not be all that high priced but the total cost you have in the position between the injured starter and his replacement does tilt the salary cap....)?
You do make a great point... I was going for a typical thought, and maybe there's no such thing.

I did think this poll would end up a LOT closer given how often I see "______ isn't the answer! He was drafted in the __th round!"