(Poll)Should the NFL end kickoff returns?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the NFL end kickoff returns?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No, leave the rules as they are

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No, and go back to kicking off from the 30 yd line

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm in favor of going back to the way it used to be when kickoffs were made from the 30-yard line. It's an exciting part of the game that should have been left alone. Then again, I'm not the one running the ball back. Florio disagrees. What do you think?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyL50aitLx0

*********************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/20/nfl-should-just-get-rid-of-the-most-dangerous-play/

NFL should just get rid of the “most dangerous play”
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2016

The NFL has a problem. Well, the NFL has plenty of problems, most of which have no impact on the bottom line. This specific problem eventually could impact the bottom line, in a variety of ways.

The NFL knows the problem exists. Indeed, prominent NFL figures and league leaders routinely acknowledge it. But the solution to date has been a string of half measure that, in the case of the latest attempted fix, could make things worse instead of better.

“[T]he kickoff return remains the most dangerous play that we have in the game, has the highest rate of concussions,” Giants co-owner John Mara said, joining a chorus that has been singing the same tune for years now about how risky the kick return is.

It’s indeed the most dangerous play in the game, not just because of concussions but because of the potential consequences to the cervical when two players running full speed at each other instinctively dip their head immediately before impact. And yet instead of getting rid of it, the NFL is simply trying to minimize the number of times it happens.

From a numbers standpoint, the approach makes some sense. The fewer the kickoff returns, the lower the risk will be that someone will suffer the kind of injury that put former Rutgers player Eric LeGrand in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

But the risk is still there. If the NFL eventually loses that numbers game, the rest of us won’t say, “We told you so.” We’ll say, “You told yourselves so.”

From a liability standpoint, it’s unclear how much risk the league would be facing, since any lawsuit arising from the worst-case outcome to the “most dangerous play” would be subject to the grievance procedures of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. From a P.R. and morality standpoint, however, how can the NFL continue to justify playing Russian roulette?

While there are far more empty chambers in this specific gun, there’s a bullet lurking in there somewhere, and the NFL knows it.

Reducing the number of kickoff returns doesn’t make the situation any better, especially since having fewer kickoff returns makes the players who are performing that play less prepared to do so. The problem becomes more pronounced if/when (when) a head coach decides not to activate a player who knows how to properly execute his assignment during a kickoff in favor of a player who fills a more important role, but who also will have to cover or block for kickoffs despite not being particularly suited for that task.

Then there’s the very real possibility that the experimental movement of the touchback point from the 20 to the 25, aimed at increasing touchbacks, will have the opposite effect, prompting teams to use squib, mortar, and/or moonshot kicks in an effort to pin the opponent inside the 25. If that happens, there will be more instances of the “most dangerous play,” not fewer.

So just get rid of it. The owners meet next month in Charlotte, at which time at least 24 of them can come together and agree that, instead of trying to minimize the number of times the “most dangerous play” occurs, they can just scrap it.

They collectively have the power to do it, and they individually will bear the responsibility to the next player who breaks his neck or worse while carrying out his assignment on the “most dangerous play” if they don’t.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree exciting and sometimes game changing. Not just deep kicks but onside kicks too or do you give a pc way to get the ball back after a score and you're down by x points? How about leg wrestling for the ball.

LEAVE THE GAME ALONE

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I agree with @Prime Time .I'm all for moving the kickoff back to the 30. It used to be one of the most exciting plays in the game. Now it's almost like you could take an extra 30 seconds grabbing a beer after the commercial break, because you know the only thing that happened was they kicked it through the back of the endzone.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The irony is that they moved the extra point back so the game would be more exciting for the fans but then lessened the excitement for kickoff returns.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
In my way of thinking kick the ball from the 20 let the receiver get in the Pope mobile and drive down the field and let the Defenders try to slash the tires, when all four tires are flat the receiver is considered down.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I fail to see how it's more dangerous than most plays in the NFL...They take some big shots, but so do a lot of guys, especially wideouts across the middle...Maybe they want to take away any throw between the hash marks...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In my way of thinking kick the ball from the 20 let the receiver get in the Pope mobile and drive down the field and let the Defenders try to slash the tires, when all four tires are flat the receiver is considered down.
Solid.

Or they could make the returner start at the goal-line by himself and arm the coverage team with various projectile weapons.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKVgF2hA0Q8

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I say leave the game alone!! IF it ain't broke quit trying to fix it!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You might as well just give the ball to the other team on their twenty. It would save time and we wouldn't have to watch them kick the ball out of the end zone everytime.