Poll: Should the NFL allow players to use marijuana for pain management?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the NFL allow players to use marijuana for pain management?

• Yes

Votes: 48 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://thehill.com/homenews/345028-poll-finds-support-for-marijuana-legalization

Most Americans support legalizing marijuana for recreational use and a strong majority believe it should at least be available for medical reasons, according to a new poll.

The latest Harvard-Harris survey found that 49 percent of Americans polled believe marijuana should be legalized for both medical and personal use. Thirty-seven percent say it should be legalized solely for medicinal purposes, meaning that 86 percent of respondents support legalizing the plant in some form.

Only 14 percent say marijuana should be illegal.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
giphy.gif

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Can an employer fire someone for testing positive for weed in a state where it's legal? Or where its prescribed by a doctor? Honest question here
Yes. It's still on the Federal List as an Illegal Drug. Crossing State Lines with it in your possession is a Federal Offense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Let's see, on one hand, we have potential painkiller/opiod addiction ... and on the other side, we have extreme cravings for Lay's Potato Chips ...

I vote yes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have the leafly app on my phone and was looking into medical marijuana for my daily migraines to supplement my seizure/migraine meds and botox treatments.

But the current political climate made me put that on hold. I have lost effective treatments before and it's worse than never having had them at all.

I don't like feeling high (the opiates don't make me feel high, just...distant) so I'd be more interested in the CBD or CBD/THCx ratio that simply works best at neurological pain mitigation.

As for the science, Les, I got a LOT on my plate now, but when I get a chance I'll post something for you. There IS emerging science that portends even better results than I alluded to.

Have you tried eating rather than smoking? It's a totally different feeling.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Disagree. It may not happen soon but it will eventually. The NFL will give this up to the player's union in exchange for other things. Player's safety and help for pain management is and will continue to be a priority for both ownership and the player's union. Continually having players suspended for marijuana use is not a good financial move for the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hould-further-research-benefits-of-marijuana/

Jerry Jones agrees league should further research benefits of marijuana
Posted by Charean Williams on August 4, 2017

633943496-e1501883221649.jpg

Getty Images

In March, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones privately communicated his concerns to his partners regarding the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. On Friday, he applauded the league’s decision to collaborate with the NFLPA in studying the potential benefits of marijuana in managing pain for the league’s players.

“I agree with what the NFL is doing,” Jones said in his Hall of Fame press conference. “There is real fertile ground there. It is a labor issue that like several things, not just that one, I understand the sensitivity about that particular issue.

A lot of people would disagree it’s a labor issue, but that’s the way these things work. A lot of things get thrown in that hat. The fact we’re discussing it, it’s no secret the Players Association have wanted to discuss that area and do better in that area.

“I think that’s accurate that we should have it as something to improve on. The problem I’m having here is I do not know what is the definition of improvement, but we can all do better here.”

The league currently bans marijuana in its collectively bargained substance-abuse policy and has taken a strong stance against its use by players. However, in a recent letter to the NFLPA, the NFL offered to work with the players in further research.

Jones, though, wouldn’t go as far as saying the league should stop testing for marijuana, only that the issue deserves further research and discussion.

“I’m not going to define it,” Jones said. “I really can’t because we’ve never been in any real serious conversations about how to really discuss it, the parameters, I want to be real clear there. What I have said and feel is it’s an area that has been a topic of consideration for many times with players, the Players Association.

We should always look for ways to improve our game and improve our player performance or our players standards or what our competitive, and I underline, what our competitive agreements are, and this is one of them.

“This hits all of those areas. It’s health. It’s competitiveness. It hits the entire area. It’s legal. It’s social. It hits moral. This is all of those. You know that. I just want you to know I know that. That’s a comprehensive approach to discussing something we should discuss.”