Poll For the #6 Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Your choice for the Rams #6 overall pick in the 2012 draft

• CB Morris Claiborne

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • RB Trent Richardson

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • WR Justin Blackmon

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • DT Dontario Poe

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • OT Riley Reiff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OT Jonathan Martin

• LB Luke Keuchly

• DT Michael Brockers

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • OG/C David Decastro

• Trade down

• Total voters

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Choose one guy or trade down and explain why if you wish. You will be able to change your vote, but you can only vote for one guy, or option.

I realize that not everyone will be here, but there's a chance that they will. I believe that Luck, RG3, and Kalil are already waiting at the podium, so I didn't include them.

This is for you Barrison.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With all of these guys available this was a very tough choice for me, but because of the strengths and weaknesses in this draft, and the perceived value and need, Claiborne was my guy. I love Blackmon, and I love Richardson, but Claiborne gives the Rams the flexibility of cutting Bartell (I hope they don't, but maybe they can restructure), and Claiborne could be a day one quality starter with the added value of being a potential big-time returner.

Too much value here for me.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
It was between Claiborne and Blackmon for. I went for Claiborne.

I want a WR, but IMO Blackmon is a mid-first round WR and picking him at 6 is still a bit of a reach. Claiborne is considered by many to be the 2nd best player in this draft, after Luck. With so many questions at the CB position I think drafting him at 6 makes sense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I picked Dontari Poe. Crazy? Yeah, but I'm going to explain (this is going to be very long):

I honestly think that Cleveland and Tampa Bay are going to take Blackmon and Claiborne respectively. Both of those teams need to add playmakers. Cleveland has absolutely no explosion at the wide receiver position. Blackmon will change that in a heartbeat. Tampa Bay is in desperate need of a cornerback, now that Talib has finally been suspended. Like I've said before, they have nothing at that position. Let's face it: Talib was a great number two at his best, and Ronde Barber is, what, thirty-five? They need a cornerback more than anyone else, except maybe Minnesota - and Minnesota's not going to pass up the best offensive lineman in years for a cornerback who, in my honest opinion, wouldn't even be in the top ten if this were a top heavy class like 2011.

Let's think about what if Claiborne does fall to us. Is he a good kick returner and cover corner? Yes. Is he a ballhawk? Of course. Does he have exceptional speed or size? Hell no. He's 5'11" (average size), and he ran just above a 4.5 (average speed). He's no Woodson, Bailey, or Peterson. Claiborne will be a number one cornerback in the NFL (he reminds me of Jonathan Joseph) but he's not going to be the superstar we need. Aside from that, there are other good cornerbacks in this draft (Gilmore, Boykin, Hosley, Josh Robinson, Josh Norman) that could be had in the second round or later.

As for Blackmon? I agree with the Terrell Owens comparisons in terms of talent. He's much better than Boldin was when he came out. He's much smarter than his predecessors. Still, there are other wide receivers in this draft that I feel could make just as big of an impact as Blackmon (Sanu, McNutt, Hill) that could be available in the second round. And for those who want a first round wide receiver? Remember that Desean Jackson was a second round pick. None of the Steelers young wide receivers were drafted higher than the third round. It's very much possible to find great wide receivers after the first round, and this is one of the deepest drafts for this position I've seen.

I can't justify taking Richardson when Jackson is still here, and I can't justify taking DeCastro this high when Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca weren't top ten picks. He's not as good of a prospect as they were.

It's way too high to take either Reiff or Martin, and I never liked Reiff as a prospect. His arms are too short, and he has very little room to grow in terms of potential. It's the same problem that Eugene Monroe had, and he's one of the worst left tackles in the league. We have no need for Kuechly when we have Laurinaitis, and I haven't ever seen an LSU defensive line prospect pan out (with apologies to the late Marquise Hill). I'm very wary of Brockers.

With Dontari Poe, I feel that someone's going to take him in the top ten, and Fisher has been known to reach with prospects. He has a skillset and potential that no other defensive tackle in this class has, and he's one of two big defensive tackles that have pass-rushing potential (Ta'amu). The defensive tackle position as a whole is one of the deepest in recent memory, but I can honestly say that I haven't seen anyone like Poe in this class.

If he pans out, you're going to have a top defensive tackle who can create room for our defense to make plays. How many times were our defensive tackles (with the notable exception of Bannan) pushed back by opposing offensive lines in the running game? How many times did opposing quarterbacks extend a play and/or drive because there was no pressure up the middle? Aside from Cudjo, which other defensive tackle currently on our team has shown the ability to consistently collapse the pocket?

Poe can fix all of that and give our defense what it needs to be successful. That's why I'm picking him.

Edit: Just saw that Robbins, Bannan, and Brown have been released.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
I picked Dontari Poe. Crazy? Yeah, but I'm going to explain (this is going to be very long):

I honestly think that Cleveland and Tampa Bay are going to take Blackmon and Claiborne respectively. Both of those teams need to add playmakers. Cleveland has absolutely no explosion at the wide receiver position. Blackmon will change that in a heartbeat. Tampa Bay is in desperate need of a cornerback, now that Talib has finally been suspended. Like I've said before, they have nothing at that position. Let's face it: Talib was a great number two at his best, and Ronde Barber is, what, thirty-five? They need a cornerback more than anyone else, except maybe Minnesota - and Minnesota's not going to pass up the best offensive lineman in years for a cornerback who, in my honest opinion, wouldn't even be in the top ten if this were a top heavy class like 2011.

Let's think about what if Claiborne does fall to us. Is he a good kick returner and cover corner? Yes. Is he a ballhawk? Of course. Does he have exceptional speed or size? Hell no. He's 5'11" (average size), and he ran just above a 4.5 (average speed). He's no Woodson, Bailey, or Peterson. Claiborne will be a number one cornerback in the NFL (he reminds me of Jonathan Joseph) but he's not going to be the superstar we need. Aside from that, there are other good cornerbacks in this draft (Gilmore, Boykin, Hosley, Josh Robinson, Josh Norman) that could be had in the second round or later.

As for Blackmon? I agree with the Terrell Owens comparisons in terms of talent. He's much better than Boldin was when he came out. He's much smarter than his predecessors. Still, there are other wide receivers in this draft that I feel could make just as big of an impact as Blackmon (Sanu, McNutt, Hill) that could be available in the second round. And for those who want a first round wide receiver? Remember that Desean Jackson was a second round pick. None of the Steelers young wide receivers were drafted higher than the third round. It's very much possible to find great wide receivers after the first round, and this is one of the deepest drafts for this position I've seen.

I can't justify taking Richardson when Jackson is still here, and I can't justify taking DeCastro this high when Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca weren't top ten picks. He's not as good of a prospect as they were.

It's way too high to take either Reiff or Martin, and I never liked Reiff as a prospect. His arms are too short, and he has very little room to grow in terms of potential. It's the same problem that Eugene Monroe had, and he's one of the worst left tackles in the league. We have no need for Kuechly when we have Laurinaitis, and I haven't ever seen an LSU defensive line prospect pan out (with apologies to the late Marquise Hill). I'm very wary of Brockers.

With Dontari Poe, I feel that someone's going to take him in the top ten, and Fisher has been known to reach with prospects. He has a skillset and potential that no other defensive tackle in this class has, and he's one of two big defensive tackles that have pass-rushing potential (Ta'amu). The defensive tackle position as a whole is one of the deepest in recent memory, but I can honestly say that I haven't seen anyone like Poe in this class.

If he pans out, you're going to have a top defensive tackle who can create room for our defense to make plays. How many times were our defensive tackles (with the notable exception of Bannan) pushed back by opposing offensive lines in the running game? How many times did opposing quarterbacks extend a play and/or drive because there was no pressure up the middle? Aside from Cudjo, which other defensive tackle currently on our team has shown the ability to consistently collapse the pocket?

Poe can fix all of that and give our defense what it needs to be successful. That's why I'm picking him.

Edit: Just saw that Robbins, Bannan, and Brown have been released.
Not crazy at all, and I might add that he would be my choice in a lot of scenarios. The sky is the limit for this kid, and he's so scheme versatile he could probably even rush the passer from the outside. How'd you like to him matched up on a TE? They'd just have to call a timeout, LOL.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Blackmon- I think everyone knows how I feel about him.

Richardson- If he's really Adrian Peterson V 2.0, take him. SJack doesn't have breakaway speed (never really did). I actually think TR is more like Emmitt Smith, but that's just me.

Claiborne- Hey, shut down half the field. The NFCW has some pretty good WRs that need to be shut down.

NOthing against Poe, but we won't see an impact of a playmaker. I'm no fan of taking a DT in the top 10, let alone top 5. The impact is so minimal. I don't want to start another Suh topic, but probably everyone would agree Suh is the most dominant DT in the NFL today. Yet they went only 6-10 his 1st year, but the record flips w/ the return of Stafford/Megatron connection. And they still ranked 23rd in rush D.

So yeah, go for the guys who can go score TDs. Or directly prevent the quick TDs from happening.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As much as I want a play maker on offense and a ball hawk/return man, I can't help but get excited by the prospect of picking up Poe to shut down the middle and push the pocket. Long and Quinn would be animals at that point. I think that one player could do more for our D than any three could for our O.

With our second pick I'd like to see them select Hill. I have now watched a fair bit of tape on the guy and am convinced (not that THAT matters) that if this guy had even a decent QB and was with a team that had even a modest passing game, he would be a top ten pick.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I want Claiborne, but as was pointed out previously, I'm not sure he'll be there.
The other guy that offers the same caliber of skill is DeCastro. I don't think it's a reach given the rookie cap and it's still a position of need. There are plenty of talented DTs in the first two rounds, not so sure if any great OL prospects make it out of round one.
Much to be seen with free agency looming though :sly:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If we get Blackmon at #6... I'll post another video of my parrot Rasta dancing, cuz he'll definitely be dancing for joy (just like me). :mrgreen:

superfan24

Starter
I voted for trade down, but not too much so we could draft Michael Floyd :bign:
I'd take Blackmon or claiborne if we stayed. Just not big on drafted SJ's successor yet. He's still got a few years and we have more pressing needs at the moment.
Nervous on Poe, but if he turns out fine in the next month then go for it. Definitely need a big DT to solidify our championship defense.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I voted for Blackmon, but now that I just heard the Rams released Ron Bartell today, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Claiborne.

GO RAMS!!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i went for claiborne even though i think he will be gone.

don't mind if the rams get blackmon or richardson.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I voted for Blackmon, a couple weeks ago I might have gone with Richardson but now I like David Wilson almost as much. Would love to get Blackmon in the first and Wilson in the 2nd. Hopefully we'll get a corner in FA, I just can't see Claiborne being there at #6.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I went with DeCastro. Not counting on Blackmon or Claiborne being there. I know about not taking Guards high in the draft, but we now have the rooke wage scale. DeCastro has been talked about as the best Guard prospect to come out since Steve Hutchinson.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am sold on Trent Richardson. The guy has elite peripheral vision, change of direction ability, low center of gravity. He has breakaway, game changing ability.

We will regret not picking him, imo.