Poll finds large majority of Native Americans are OK with “Redskins”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You clearly do not understand how numbers work.

If he wasn't polled, he would belong to the 99.9999% of native population this poll simply ignored.

No he would be part of the roughly 10% who are offended.

But I can understand that my reality is influenced by my perception of the world, and that not everyone shares the same view.

You certainly have a unique method of interacting with those who don't share you're view.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't get all the uproar over sports names. They're SPORTS NAMES. They are given as a compliment. An honor. But I understand the battle. Lawyers have to lawyer. Civil liberty advocates have to advocate. We are perpetuating a politically correct society, where things are extremely different behind closed doors. How is that helpful? Let a bigot be a bigot so everybody knows he's a bigot. Where does it end? Isn't the name Red Sox an affront to fashionistas or the name Yankees offensive to northerners? Let it go. There are more important things that need attending and when they're all straightened out, then we can move on to sports names.

Pretty much this is it.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Again. Only 504 Native Americans were polled. Ten percent of that equates to about 50 people. However, the Native American population in the United States is 5.4 million. That means 99.9999% were not polled. He would belong to that 99.9999% because he was not polled.

This poll does not prove that 90% of all Native Americans aren't offended by the Redskins name. It shows that 90% of the 504 randomly selected for this poll Native American population weren't offended. Those two statements are not equal.

You certainly have a unique method of interacting with those who don't share you're view.

There's a difference between having a difference of opinion and getting facts wrong. Your umbrella statement is guilty of the latter.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
So let me clarify: I hate articles like these because they're based on incomplete statistics and lazy journalism. With that being said, as far as the issue of handling the "Redskins" name, I'm on the fence. My view might even be hypocritical in some points. The term "redskins" is definitely a derogatory term for Native Americans, and one could argue that it infringes on certain groups' civil rights.

FedEx Field, and the Redskins' new proposed stadium, involve public funding.

It's much more of a state issue to me, and an issue to be handled in civil court; I do not believe the federal government should be involved, at all. If they don't want to change their name, and the state doesn't like that ruling, then they shouldn't receive public funding in the form of taxpayer dollars.

Antonius

Pro Bowler

Part of my job is explaining simple concepts to people who struggle to understand them, so this is going to be the last time I'll reply to you because it's my day off.

Nobody contacted me for my opinion. So I'm not included in this "poll". I'm not part of the 90%, and I'm not apart of the 10%. Because no one asked me what I thought. End of story.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Part of my job is explaining simple concepts to people who struggle to understand them, so this is going to be the last time I'll reply to you because it's my day off.

Nobody contacted me for my opinion. So I'm not included in this "poll". I'm not part of the 90%, and I'm not apart of the 10%. Because no one asked me what I thought. End of story.

If you don't like the poll then go do your own. Then post the results and we can discuss them.

You're offended. I'm not. And according to the numerous polls conducted the vast majority are not offended. Maybe you think every singe person in the nation has to be polled for all of these polls to have any validity. I don't.

@Wolfecola Yeah I get that whole idea with the math........I was trying to clarify that Antonius would be counted in the group that finds the name offensive. I'll await you posting facts that Native Americans are largely insulted or offended by the teams name. Thanks!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My experience in listening to Native peoples actually talk about this and not from some survey where one has to drill down into the questions' verbiage and methodology has seen a more or less equal split.

90:10 wasn't close to what I saw, but then again my sample may be biased because I was at pow wows and Native art festivals where Native pride is more strongly felt.

Polls are misused, misread and misinterpreted all the time. I find personally that I learn more when I talk to people and have real human interaction with them. People's feelings are more complicated and nuanced than a poll.

Doesn't really matter what the subject is, I get tremendously suspicious when someone tries to reduce a lot of people's feelings on a complex subject to a Yes/No For/Against type situation.

With all that Natives have lost, some may feel that they don't like the name, but don't like that the Government can take away Snyder's ability to use it. These repeated polls can't capture seemingly contradictory feelings like this that require a unified emotional/principle front.

Most people can have a conversation with other people. It's hard to converse with pre-masticated numbers that have drawn a conclusion from limited interaction.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
They should just rename them the Washington Douchebags|(you know, cause its fuckin Dan "the Douche" Snyder, but I guess that'd offend 10% of douchebags(e.g. Bayless, Bellicheat, Brady, Beckham jr, Steve Smith, LA Champ, Lesbaker..:snicker:)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
but don't like that the Government can take away Snyder's ability to use it.

I don't think they can take away the right to use it, they did remove the trademark protection. But even that is over the line IMO. But we all know how much some politicians like to grandstand.

By the way I ran across this while I was reading around about this issue.

Dan Snyder tells USA Today that he'll never change his team's name: "NEVER—you can use caps." Ten members of Congress, including Native American Tom Cole (R-Okla.), sign a letter urging Snyder to drop the R-word: "Native Americans throughout the country consider the term 'redskin' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word.'" NFL commissioner Roger Goodell responds that the team's name is "a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect."

Ten members of congress signed a letter and I would guess that every member was asked. I'm not sure what that would mean if it was a fact that all of them where asked.

Anyway my point is that they are claiming something that is counter to what we hear from Native Americans in massively lopsided numbers.

I don't see anyone asking the military to stop naming weaponry after Indian tribes........Apache and Comanche come to mind. Are people more offended by the name of a football team versus machinery made to kill?

I don't get it.........

@Tron iseewhatyoudidthere

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
@Wolfecola Yeah I get that whole idea with the math........I was trying to clarify that Antonius would be counted in the group that finds the name offensive. I'll await you posting facts that Native Americans are largely insulted or offended by the teams name. Thanks!

I never stated that Native Americans are largely insulted or offended by the team's name. I simply posted how your statement that "Fact is about 90% of people with "red skin" aren't offended" was wrong and misguided by a deceitful poll. You're claiming an absolute that doesn't exist; the only conclusion you can arrive at from this poll is that 90% of the 504 Native Americans polled weren't offended. That's far too small of a sample size to claim it supports the opinion of an entire race.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I polled myself and 100 % agreed...The carcass that is this thread, is starting to smell real bad...The arguments on both sides of this topic have become a bit redundant and it seems obvious to me that neither will have their opinion swayed...I respectfully suggest that we move on...

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I never stated that Native Americans are largely insulted or offended by the team's name. I simply posted how your statement that "Fact is about 90% of people with "red skin" aren't offended" was wrong and misguided by a deceitful poll. You're claiming an absolute that doesn't exist; the only conclusion you can arrive at from this poll is that 90% of the 504 Native Americans polled weren't offended. That's far too small of a sample size to claim it supports the opinion of an entire race.
I don't know how this particular poll was conducted, but this is actually a typical sample size, and thought to be appropriate to garner accurate results in polling.

It happens all the time in political polling. There is no practical way to get all opinions, so an effort is made to get an accurate feel for the electorate. The real results come after the voting.

Polling companies reputations rely on their accuracy.

There may never be any kind of vote on an issue like the Redskins name, but anyone is welcome to display contrary evidence, or to provide evidence of bias in this survey.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I polled myself and 100 % agreed...The carcass that is this thread, is starting to smell real bad...The arguments on both sides of this topic have become a bit redundant and it seems obvious to me that neither will have their opinion swayed...I respectfully suggest that we move on...

Agreed. Locked.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.