Poll finds large majority of Native Americans are OK with “Redskins”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
All of the outrage is coming from non-Natives (white elites/ESPN)Libs are more offended by the redskins team name than actual native Americans.I am offended that our society consistently caters to a minority(white elites/ESPN) who are offended.Clearly Native Americans are not being exposed to enough liberal media to find the term offensive. They need to sit down and watch CNN or CNBC for a few days so they can learn how they are supposed to think, like the rest of the cattle.

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
This has been fascinating. ---Perspective.

I have lived in two states that have long and honored Indian culture.

Arguably the greatest College Hockey program in existence is the University of North Dakota "Sioux". Like the Fighting Irish they were called the "Fightin' Sioux".

The Sioux Indians are a respected piece of Dakota history and as a North Dakotan something I am proud of. The legal battle that ensued to change the team name cost millions of dollars, and many people their jobs. The state spent so much money on the legal battle that sports scholarship programs were discontinued. ALL to change a name that IMO was respected in the Dakotas. Truth be told. when UND won the title this year the Chants on TV were for the SIOUX. This didn't start because the Indian Tribes of North Dakota felt they were being discriminated upon.

Though I am a Gator fan, the Seminole Indian Tribe is highly respected in Florida. I enjoy seeing the Seminole Indian on his horse driving a spear into the 50 yard line at the beginning of the game. It represents something wonderful about Florida History.

Yea, I am in my 50's, but am I the only one that sees pride in the Indian names we cheer for in these sports teams?

We can all choose to feel how we like about our history and mans injustice to man, but cant we equally celebrate what is good too?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This has been fascinating. ---Perspective.

I have lived in two states that have long and honored Indian culture.

Arguably the greatest College Hockey program in existence is the University of North Dakota "Sioux". Like the Fighting Irish they were called the "Fightin' Sioux".

The Sioux Indians are a respected piece of Dakota history and as a North Dakotan something I am proud of. The legal battle that ensued to change the team name cost millions of dollars, and many people their jobs. The state spent so much money on the legal battle that sports scholarship programs were discontinued. ALL to change a name that IMO was respected in the Dakotas. Truth be told. when UND won the title this year the Chants on TV were for the SIOUX. This didn't start because the Indian Tribes of North Dakota felt they were being discriminated upon.

Though I am a Gator fan, the Seminole Indian Tribe is highly respected in Florida. I enjoy seeing the Seminole Indian on his horse driving a spear into the 50 yard line at the beginning of the game. It represents something wonderful about Florida History.

Yea, I am in my 50's, but am I the only one that sees pride in the Indian names we cheer for in these sports teams?

We can all choose to feel how we like about our history and mans injustice to man, but cant we equally celebrate what is good too?
Well put man.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just change the name to Bravehearts and everybody wins!
washington-bravehearts-750x.jpg
I'm part Scottish...................i dont look like the above picture. I'm now offended. my legal team has been notified.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I'm just curious.. would anyone have a problem with a team called the Baltimore Blackskins?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'm just curious.. would anyone have a problem with a team called the Baltimore Blackskins?

:rant: Sounds catchy. You should bring your idea to the owner!

:argue: That's racist! You idiot.
:argue:No it's not! Pale face!
:argue:It's a horrible name!
:argue:Well it's better than "Ravens"
:argue:You're a bigot!
:argue:You're a Metrosexual!
:argue:Oh yeah, you're not progressive!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

What if almost no "black skinned" people were offended?

Would it matter?

Fact is about 90% of people with "red skin" aren't offended. This is essentially a media driven event and Snyder is an easy target because he is a complete and total asshole.

This link will take you to an article that is worth reading.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?tid=sm_tw

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Fact is about 90% of people with "red skin" aren't offended. This is essentially a media driven event and Snyder is an easy target because he is a complete and total icehole.

That statement is false, and the main reason why journalism like this is complete and utter bullshit.

The poll mentioned in the article was "with a randomly selected national sample of 504 Native American adults." Five hundred and four? Out of a Native American population of 5.4 million?! (http://www.infoplease.com/spot/aihmcensus1.html) That's absurd. This poll questions less than 0.0001% of the Native American population, yet tries to form an absolute conclusion.

Normally this would be labeled as "inconclusive." But people hate to fact check, you know. It's all about headlines.

This poll is bullshit, the writer is full of shit, and this is a shitty issue. "Redskins" is a derogatory term, no if ands or buts. But we've never respected the natives of this country, so why start now right?

****ers.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That statement is false, and the main reason why journalism like this is complete and utter bullcrap.

The poll mentioned in the article was "with a randomly selected national sample of 504 Native American adults." Five hundred and four? Out of a Native American population of 5.4 million?! (http://www.infoplease.com/spot/aihmcensus1.html) That's absurd. This poll questions less than 0.5% of the Native American population, yet tries to form an absolute conclusion.

Normally this would be labeled as "inconclusive." But people hate to fact check, you know. It's all about headlines.

This poll is bullcrap, the writer is full of crap, and this is a crappy issue. "Redskins" is a derogatory term, no if ands or buts. But we've never respected the natives of this country, so why start now right?

****ers.

Sorry you don't like the results but these polls have been done many times in many places and the results are pretty much the same each time regardless of how many people are surveyed and what area the survey is done.

This is media driven and politically charged. The fact that the team lost it's trademark registrations is telling. The people who are offended are motivated by something other than righting a wrong, they are activists or politicians looking for something to create a stir.

I'm from Cleveland originally. The Indians get grief from activists about their name as well. But when polled hardly anyone cares.

You may not like that, but it is the truth. Though you are correct when you say "It's all about the headlines".

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Sorry you don't like the results but these polls have been done many times in many places and the results are pretty much the same each time regardless of how many people are surveyed and what area the survey is done.

You're completely missing the point of my post. Looks like you skimmed it just as you skimmed the article in the original post. And I would love to see these other polls that represent a responsible portion of Native Americans. Hint: They don't exist.

Less than 0.0001%. Get the hell outta here.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't get all the uproar over sports names. They're SPORTS NAMES. They are given as a compliment. An honor. But I understand the battle. Lawyers have to lawyer. Civil liberty advocates have to advocate. We are perpetuating a politically correct society, where things are extremely different behind closed doors. How is that helpful? Let a bigot be a bigot so everybody knows he's a bigot. Where does it end? Isn't the name Red Sox an affront to fashionistas or the name Yankees offensive to northerners? Let it go. There are more important things that need attending and when they're all straightened out, then we can move on to sports names.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I don't get all the uproar over sports names. They're SPORTS NAMES. They are given as a compliment. An honor. But I understand the battle. Lawyers have to lawyer. Civil liberty advocates have to advocate. We are perpetuating a politically correct society, where things are extremely different behind closed doors. How is that helpful? Let a bigot be a bigot so everybody knows he's a bigot. Where does it end? Isn't the name Red Sox an affront to fashionistas or the name Yankees offensive to northerners? Let it go. There are more important things that need attending and when they're all straightened out, then we can move on to sports names.

As a white male, I don't either. But I can understand that my reality is influenced by my perception of the world, and that not everyone shares the same view.

Your comparisons aren't even close. A similar issue would be if the "Seattle Chinks" or "Alabama Niggers" or "New Jersey Kikes" existed. Civil rights expand to everyone-- not just when it's convenient, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.