Poll : Colin Kaepernick perfect for Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Chip Kelly Resurrect Kaps One Time Promising Career

• Yes

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Why In The Name Of Everything Holy Are You Posting This Whiner Crap?

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Can Chip Kelly make Colin Kaepernick a franchise quarterback again?

Kaepernick has garnered plenty of attention over the last few months for his social activism. Now that he is returning to starting lineup in the San Francisco 49ers' visit to Buffalo, the 28-year-old signal caller is back under the microscope of the scouting community. Can the previously dynamic playmaker resurrect his career under Kelly, beginning Sunday against Rex Ryan's defense?

Now, I'm sure some observers will tune in to see if the polarizing star will fall flat on his face after creating a national conversation with his anthem protest. But there are number of intrigued scouts, executives and coaches curious to see if the 6-foot-4 passer still has some of the magic that propelled him to stardom when he led the 49ers to the cusp of a Lombardi Trophy with an electric style that prompted hyperbolic projections about his future. While I didn't go as far as some analysts at the time who seemingly began taking his measurements for a gold jacket, I did believe Kap could be "the face of the future at the position" based on his remarkable talents as a dual-threat playmaker. Back in 2012 and '13, he displayed an explosive set of skills that reminded me of Randall Cunningham. Also, in his first few years under Jim Harbaugh, Kaepernick was featured in a system that allowed him to maximize his gifts as a dynamic run-pass threat on the edges.

Despite watching Kaepernick fail to live up to those lofty expectations the past two years due to a variety of factors (scheme fit, deteriorating supporting cast and his poor performance from the pocket), I believe he is perfectly positioned to bounce back under Kelly. I know that statement will be met with eye rolls and snickers, but hear me out before trashing my positive outlook.

Say what you want about Kelly and his system, but there's no disputing his ability to generate production at the NFL level. During his time with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2013 to 2015, his team ranked third in point per game (26.9) and total offense (392.8 yards), as well as fourth in rushing yards per game (131.3). In addition, the Eagles recorded the second-most running plays of 10-plus yards (176) and the fourth-most passing plays of 25-plus yards (109). That's significant output from an offense that had pedestrian quarterbacks like Sam Bradford, Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez directing a scheme that featured a ton of zone-read and option concepts (RPOs) designed to force opponents to account for the quarterback as a potential runner.

With Kaepernick at the helm, Kelly has a legitimate dual-threat trigger man. Although Kap reportedly isn't the same guy who dazzled America with his explosive athleticism and running skills in 2012 an '13, he returns to his comfort zone directing an attack that features read-option plays and straightforward pass concepts. (Kaepernick amassed over 10,000 passing yards and 4,000 rushing yards running Chris Ault's pistol attack at Nevada.)

"He gives Chip [Kelly] a Marcus Mariota-type playmaker," said an NFC scout familiar Kaepernick and Kelly. "He is not as smooth or fluid, but he is dynamic and explosive with the ball in his hands. ... He is a much different point man than we've seen run his stuff [in Kelly's NFL days]."

Speaking to that point about Mariota and how the offense could flow with an athletic playmaker, I believe the 49ers' fourth preseason game against San Diego provided a glimpse of how well Kaepernick could perform as the QB1 in Kelly's system. Looking at the All-22 Coaches Film of that game, I was impressed with Kaepernick's decisiveness, athleticism and ball handling while executing the zone-read. He has a keen understanding of when to hand the ball off or keep it, based on the designated defender's reaction. In addition, Kaepernick's willingness to carry out his fakes forces defenders to account for him, which creates bigger lanes for the running back on inside runs.

As a passer in that game, Kaepernick was quick and decisive delivering the ball to his receivers on the perimeter. Part of his efficiency and effectiveness was due to the straightforward nature of the passing game: The 49ers ran a number of simple catch-and-throw concepts with one or two receivers in the progression. Although quarterback gurus would refer to these plays as "remedial" passing concepts, they are route combinations that are routinely featured in high school and college spread offenses. Considering Kaepernick's success at Nevada with these kinds of plays, the utilization of them puts the QB in his comfort zone, which raises his confidence and overall effectiveness.

The naysayers will point out that I'm probably making too much of a preseason performance that featured a host of backups and eventual cast-offs, but I believe all reps matter. And there's no disputing that he performed well in that setting with limited practice time and a ton of pressure on his shoulders due to the attention from his peaceful protest.

When I look ahead to how Kelly could tweak his system to further enhance Kaepernick's skills, I believe you will see the 49ers play at a faster pace and incorporate more throws designed to attack the edges of the field (outside the numbers). By adding more tempo to the offense, Kelly can take the call sheet out of the opposing defensive coordinator's hands, leading to fewer complex blitz and coverage combinations. In addition, the rapid pace wears down defenders and creates more mental mistakes from undisciplined players forced into survival mode on the field.

The 49ers naturally will incorporate more movement passes (bootlegs and sprint outs) to take advantage of Kaepernick's athleticism. San Francisco also will repeat successful concepts, particularly mesh (crossing) routes, from multiple formations throughout the game. This has been a staple of Kelly's system since his days at Oregon and he continued to use similar methods in Philadelphia.

"Kelly's a tendency coach," an NFC pro personnel director told me. "Once he figures out what you're doing against him, he's going to relentlessly attack you with the same play over and over again. With the offense operating at a warp-speed pace, he can dictate the terms and make life easy for his quarterback."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...perfect-for-chip-kelly-patriots-nightmare-duo
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst

For all of the flack Kelly has received for his "quarterback-friendly system" of late, he is the same coach who helped Foles play at an MVP level in 2013 (119.2 passer rating and a 27:2 TD-to-INT ratio). He also helped Bradford play at a high level in the second half of last season with straightforward concepts that frequently produced an open receiver running free across the field.

Kelly enjoyed success at the collegiate level with limited passers like Darron Thomas and Jeremiah Masoli directing a high-powered offense at Oregon, so I'm more than willing to bet on the clever play caller crafting a series of game plans that help Kaepernick recapture his magic as an electric playmaker.

"Oh, I think he's going to kill it," said the NFC scout. "He's in the perfect system for his skill set. ... I would expect him to do well under Chip."

I know Kelly has attempted to quell expectations, but count me as one of the observers who's anxiously waiting to see if Kaepernick can get back to being the special playmaker who captured the football world's attention a few years ago.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kelly offense floundered with Michael Vick at qb and played its best with immobile Nick Foles
I don't see where Kaep fits.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Kraperdick sucks. The whiners suck. Kelly sucks.

That is all. :homer:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It doesn't matter, they're still going to Loose!(y):rimshot:

Ram65

Legend
I did vote the latter.
  1. *
    Why In The Name Of Everything Holy Are You Posting This Whiner Crap?
    8 votes
    61.5%
I thought it would be a good match. The run option and shorter passes for Kapersnapper that could open up longer passing opportunities. I'm not sure if Kap has the ability to throw efficiently enough but, he can run very well. I go maybe but hope it's a big fail.

tavian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I smell his filthy, rotting carcass.
Sorry about the post.apparently I'm jonesing so much for Sunday to get here that
I have completely lost my mind.Whatever my defect is,I in no way,shape or form wanted
to drive you to put a gun to your head.LOL.My apologies to you sir.
your forgiveness I beg:)

tavian

ALL RIGHT. who voted yes?Show yourself and take your flogging.:cool:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Perfect for Chip Kelly:
eacd63dda4b61bc6e388740267fd2d80.png

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Sorry about the post.apparently I'm jonesing so much for Sunday to get here that
I have completely lost my mind.Whatever my defect is,I in no way,shape or form wanted
to drive you to put a gun to your head.LOL.My apologies to you sir.
your forgiveness I beg:)
Tav, I'm just kidding bro. Can't stand the phony Kap, but we're good.

*ironically, I am just getting ready to watch my nephew play for UNR vs. San Jose State. (y)

tavian

Tav, I'm just kidding bro. Can't stand the phony Kap, but we're good.

*ironically, I am just getting ready to watch my nephew play for UNR vs. San Jose State. (y)
I know you were Snowman.I agree on the Kap sentiments as well.;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
They are perfect for each other.

One is a douche, the other is a baby door!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They are perfect for each other.

One is a douche, the other is a baby door!
After reading this^ I'm temped to change my choice from "Why ..." to "Yes" ! Your analysis is right on, as usual Tron!!(y)(y):snicker::shades::cheers:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
UCLA is 3-4, completely unacceptable. Mora out Chip in?

In Kelly's mind, he's bigger than UCLA, who can't pay their assistant coaches top dollar being a State School, if Chip goes back to college, he'll want the SEC, IMHO.