Poll: Assuming they get stuck at #2...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do they pick at #2?

• Matthews

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Robinson

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Watkins

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Mack

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
This is an amazingly tight poll between the top 3.
what-she-said-lg.gif

scifiman

I voted Mathews based solely on need and risk. Mathews is much more NFL ready at this time and will be an immediate upgrade and has the potential to be a HOF. Mathews is much better at pass protection than Robinson at this time. Robinson is better at run blocking but not by a huge margin. Robinson with time may turn into an even better player than Mathews but who knows. All I know is the Mathews bloodlines have a few HOF'ers. I am not as high on Watkins as everyone else as I see some major flaws in his game that will get exposed at the nfl level. He gives away his routes taking bunny steps. This is a very hard thing to correct without thinking about it which causes issues running the plays. To me Mike Evans would be a better WR for the rams in their division. We already have speed receivers. We need a physical one who can fight off the big CB's.
Looking at OL team stats shows some interesting quirks. Arizona OL was rated last while having a winning record and Seattle rated 27th and won the SB. But both teams had excellent defenses. The Rams had the 13th overall rated OL. And this with all the injuries and such too. We obviously have some holes to fill on the OL this year but I have seen too many OL taken in the later rounds that have great careers in the NFL.
Give me Mathews OL in the 1st along with Justin Gilbert CB and I would be extremely happy. Mack now way, no how. He has Aaron Curry written all over him. Some very good LB's can be found in rounds 4 and 5 like Jordan Zumwalt UCLA who can play all LB positions.
Dont forget we have 12 picks in this draft and if we get just 6 really top notch guys it will be a success. Look at our roster and replace 6 guys with something better.
I also think we grab a RB or 2 in this draft. Many good ones will be available late.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Mack now way, no how. He has Aaron Curry written all over him. Some very good LB's can be found in rounds 4 and 5 like Jordan Zumwalt UCLA who can play all LB positions.

Neither Curry or Zumwalt double (or doubled) as pass rushers like Mack.

jap

Legend
this franchise has wasted so many picks on the Oline that I am hesitant to choose to go that route

going with Watkins

That sort of thinking smacks of superstition. You are willing to believe that this coaching regime, The Fisher King's monarchy, all commit the same boneheaded mistakes of past Horns regimes that proved to be categorically atrocious.

V3

Hall of Fame
That sort of thinking smacks of superstition. You are willing to believe that this coaching regime, The Fisher King's monarchy, all commit the same boneheaded mistakes of past Horns regimes that proved to be categorically atrocious.

Not talking about superstition or saying that Fisher will make a move as bad as the last few regimes but Fisher/Snead do not have a stellar track record in the first two rounds. They do an adequate job but they definitely don't deserve a term like, "The Fisher King" or anything close.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Matthews,
This isn't Madden. Take the most solid commodity that will take the OL to the next level and it effects other position groups to improve them. Backs and WR's

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
^ I finally added my personal pref simply because we have the chance to shore this (o-line) up. I've been on ROD since 2010 and time after time we are discussing all of across the O Line at different times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a good argument.

The issue is that Snead and Demoff have repeatedly said they want 2 HOFers from this draft. And most people thing Robinson is the more likely HOFer.

Well, Jake Matthews is the son of a Hall of Famer with all the ability to be the same type of player that his father was...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Jake Matthews is the son of a Hall of Famer with all the ability to be the same type of player that his father was...

True.

And if the Rams assess that Matthews has a better chance of making the HOF than Robinson then he should and will be the pick.