Polian: Garoppolo... First Round Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Former Colts GM Bill Polian just said on ESPN's NFL Insiders that he projects Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo to be a first-round pick.

This is the kid that Holt has been raving about.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wouldn't shock me to see A.J. McCarron get some late 1st round talk when everything said and done, too. That said, I don't believe that either will go in the 1st round.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I'm not going to debate whether or not he'll be successful at the next level but he sure did catch my attention when he threw the ball.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing shocks me anymore.

In 2011, I watched in disbelief as team after team passed on Pro Bowl talent in order to satisfy their desperate need for a QB. Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder were taken ahead of Watt and Quinn. Just nuts.

1Carolina PanthersNewton, CamQBAuburn
2Denver BroncosMiller, VonOBTexas A&M
3Buffalo BillsDareus, MarcellDTAlabama
4Cincinnati BengalsGreen, AJWRGeorgia
5Arizona CardinalsPeterson, PatrickDCLSU
6Atlanta FalconsJones, JulioWRAlabamaf/Cle
7San Francisco 49ersSmith, AldonDEMissouri
8Tennessee TitansLocker, JakeQBWashington
9Dallas CowboysSmith, TyronOTSouthern Cal
10Jacksonville JaguarsGabbert, BlaineQBMissourif/Was
11Houston TexansWatt, JJDEWisconsin
12Minnesota VikingsPonder, ChristianQBFlorida State
13Detroit LionsFairley, NickDTAuburn
14St. Louis RamsQuinn, RobertDENorth Carolina
15Miami DolphinsPouncey, MikeOGFlorida
16Washington RedskinsKerrigan, RyanDEPurduef/Jax

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He looks like he throws a really nice ball - and a real good deep ball aswell. It comes out nice if you know what I mean. Not a big name, but I think he might have a decent career in the NFL. I want us to take Logan Thomas and try and develop him in the late rounds though. He looks like an athlete. Terrible mechanics but hey...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jimmy Garoppolo will not go in the 1st.

It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

In 2011, I watched in disbelief as team after team passed on Pro Bowl talent in order to satisfy their desperate need for a QB. Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder were taken ahead of Watt and Quinn. Just nuts.

Yeah, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder haven't proven to be difference makers but they did start for their teams. Must say though, I can't recall a class that produced that many top echelon players without any real whiffs. And they say the 2014 draft is better? That's even more exciting.

FWIW, if Garappolo is there with our second rounder, I wouldn't complain if we took him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Gabbert was not a 1st. round choice! I saw all his games and was amazed that a pro team would take him in the 1st., much less top 10! Needed to sit and learn, not start as a rookie! Not my team or money! Got a bit off topic! Would like Garoppolo in the 3rd,4th so he can learn the system and if need be, take over for Sam.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Jimmy Garoppolo will not go in the 1st.

It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

From what I have seen of this Garoppolo feller, he absolutely SHOULD be listed among the top QBs in this draft. IMO, he looks more pro ready than Locker, Ponder or Gabbert EVER did. Kid has some pretty impressive mechanics and accuracy. Very nice touch on the ball as well. I think if he gets a chance, he will be successful at the next level. Just my .02.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea that 2011 class was mighty impressive!

In the "Bold Predictions" thread I predicted we'd take Garoppolo if he was there in the second. I assume we'll trade down with either the Falcons, Browns, or Raiders and pick up a second 2nd round pick, and we'll use one of them to select this kid. He won't last much further than early second round. Let him hold the clipboard behind Sam for most of the year and if Sam struggles, bring the kid in. If Sam has a decent year, we'll have a big decision to make: Do we move forward with the young, inexperienced kid and get Bradford's salary off the books to help pay for guys like Quinn, or do extend Sam and feel comfortable he is the franchise qb? Personally, I think Sam is an elite practice setting qb, but when he steps on the field some things are just lacking.. My personal opinion, but not trying to open a can of warms.

iced

lets not forget why quinn fell either - that plays a role too... medical flags for his benign brain tumor

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

In the "Bold Predictions" thread I predicted we'd take Garoppolo if he was there in the second. I assume we'll trade down with either the Falcons, Browns, or Raiders and pick up a second 2nd round pick, and we'll use one of them to select this kid. He won't last much further than early second round. Let him hold the clipboard behind Sam for most of the year and if Sam struggles, bring the kid in. If Sam has a decent year, we'll have a big decision to make: Do we move forward with the young, inexperienced kid and get Bradford's salary off the books to help pay for guys like Quinn, or do extend Sam and feel comfortable he is the franchise qb? Personally, I think Sam is an elite practice setting qb, but when he steps on the field some things are just lacking.. My personal opinion, but not trying to open a can of warms.

Warms? Just messin with yuh.

Anyway, I think looking at Sam's play is all fair. Even looking at the injuries is fair game. I just get a little tried of the salary talk combined with the injuries. Neither really have anything to do with each other IMO. I happen to really like what I see in Sam when he steps on the field and think given some decent situations, he can light it up.

All that in mind, I wouldn't be upset at all if we picked up a young gun early in the draft. It is a wise decision. Everyone keeps talking about how great competition on the roster is for making players fight for a starting position and also seeing who truly should be our depth players. I don't know why the QB position is really any different. Yeah we don't want a "controversy". But if one clearly outplays the other... what should you do? Also, if Sam does go down, I'd much rather have someone step in and give us a real shot at keeping things going. I think it would be a great investment and have liked what I've seen from this kid for a while now. If he is as good as he seems, we'd be lucky to get him with our 2nd round pick. Grab him if he's there.

I think Sam is going to be the starting QB for some time here. But in the worst case scenario of taking a QB early in the draft, you have excellent trade bait and a good fill in if something were to happen to your starter. 11 starting QBs had missed games by the middle of last season. That tells me the smart money says you better have someone ready to step up.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

If we are able to get Garrapolo in the 2nd round, color me ecstatic.