Plenty of options for Rams at safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 22259.html

50c4f880aa7bb.preview-620.jpg

MOBILE, ALA. • Craig Dahl is an unresticted free agent and Quintin Mikell is due a $6 million base salary. So it’s possible — some might say likely — that the Rams will have two new starting safeties in 2013.
Luckily for the Rams or anyone else looking for safety help, it’s considered a deep position in this year’s draft. Kenny Vaccaro of Texas could be at the head the class, but backed out of the Senior Bowl late.

“I think he knows,” said Russ Lande, the former Rams scout who among other things is a draft analyst for the National Football Post. “I mean everybody has him in the top 10.”

As is the case with those who don’t work out at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, some of the top prospects skip the Senior Bowl after being advised that they have nothing to gain by participating because of their lofty draft status.

“He’s a ball-hawking safety that can come up and hit and tackle,” Lande said. “He’s the real deal. I wouldn’t be shocked if Detroit — if there’s no elite pass-rusher there — Detroit at No. 5 (overall) may take him. He’s really good.”

Vaccaro was a first-team All-American pick by Pro Football Weekly this season, and is a two-time, first-team all-Big 12 pick. He posted a career-high 107 tackles in 2012, but had a modest five career interceptions and never had more than two in any one season.

Even with Vaccaro and D.J. Swearinger of South Carolina opting out of the Senior Bowl, and underclassmen such as Eric Reid of LSU, Matt Elam of Florida and Tony Jefferson of Oklahoma not allowed to participate, there has been plenty to look at here at safety.

For starters, there’s name players from name schools, such as Baccari Rambo and Shawn Williams from Georgia, Robert Lester from Alabama and T.J. McDonald from Southern California.

What better name for a football player than Rambo?

“It’s all right,” Rambo deadpanned. “I was thinking about changing it. No, I’m just kidding. If I had a quarter for every time somebody mentioned that, I’d be rich right now.”

At Georgia, Rambo made his name with eight interceptions as a junior in 2011. But he was suspended for the first four games of 2012 for failing a drug test. His high school coach said the positive test was caused by inadvertently eating marijuana brownies.

Despite his range and athleticism, Rambo (6 feet, 215 pounds) isn’t known as a big hitter or the surest of tacklers.

“A lot of people question my tackling — like ankle tackling,” Rambo said. “I know a lot of people know I’ve got the ball skills and the instincts. ... I consider myself a ball-hawk.”

While Rambo wants to show coaches and scouts he can tackle in Saturday’s Senior Bowl game, Alabama’s Lester has been told by them that his coverage skills need work.

“Definitely playing with a lot more speed, having that explosiveness and quickness to actually stay with those receivers and guys I’m covering,” Lester said. “And I agree 100 percent with them.”

Lester covered well enough to pick off four passes this season, and his 14 career interceptions ties him for fifth in Crimson Tide history.

McDonald, the son of former football Cardinals and San Francisco safety Tim McDonald, earned first-team all-American status in 2011. That made him and his father the first father-son team to do so at Southern Cal. But overall, some feel he didn’t play up to expectations in college, and that he lacks aggressiveness.

Three safeties from lesser-known schools have garnered a lot of attention in Mobile as well. Nevada’s Duke Williams is a ’tweener at 5-11, 201 who some project as a corner. When Nevada went to the nickel package, Williams was moved into the slot position like a cornerback.

“He’s real smart and he will blow you up,” Lande said. “He will fly up there and smash you.”

Phillip Thomas of Fresno State is one of the best ball-hawks in the draft. After missing the entire 2011 season because of a broken leg and dislocated ankle, Thomas had eight interceptions to lead the nation and set a Mountain West record. He returned three off those INTs for touchdowns, just one off the NCAA record.

At the end of the season, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said the defense needed to produce more turnovers, so Thomas (6-0, 210) might be worthy of consideration. Thomas said he actually played up in the box about 60 percent of the time, as opposed to playing center field at free safety.

But when asked what he does best, he replied: “Play the ball in the air. Definitely. I’m able to get good position. I can move like a corner does and I’m able to open my hips and run and play the ball.”

Thomas said he needs to work on his open-field tackling, and has been told so by scouts.

“Just getting to the ballcarrier in open space and being able to take that extra step instead of lunging after him,” Thomas said. “There’s always ways you can work on your game. And that, I feel like I need to work on the most.”

But the safety who has created the most buzz this week is Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International. He is a thumper. When scouts, coaches and even agents were asked about impressive safeties in Mobile, almost all brought up Cyprien.

“This kid may be the best of all the safeties (at the Senior Bowl),” Lande said. “He’s one of those guys that flies up field, a little bit like Toby (Wright) used to.”

Wright was a battering ram of a strong safety for the Rams during their early seasons in St. Louis.

“But (Cyprien) can gather himself and then make this great tackle,” Lande said. “But when he can’t make the hard hit, he’ll (still) make the tackle. He doesn’t get out of control and miss stuff. He’s natural. He’s smooth deep in coverage. He doesn’t stumble or fall when he’s got to make a quick change of direction.”

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
After watching Cyprien yesterday, I want two too!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
Glad this draft is deep at safety, cuz i want two of them..
train

I was thinking the same thing last night when I read this article.

I am anxious to hear what we do with Mikell.

F. Mulder

Starter
It really seems like this position may run (8?) deep. They obviously have to address it (and possibly get 2 new Safeties) but for me the issue becomes whether the difference between guys like Vaccaro and Elam are that much greater than guys like Swearinger (sp), Cyrprien, Rambo (I have some concerns about), Thomas, Jefferson, McDonald (not high on), Lester (not high on) and a few others.

Obviously if the Rams have Vaccaro or Elam as head and shoulders above the rest then grab one of them in the 1st. However, wouldn't it be nice to be able to grab a quality starting Safety in the 2nd or even early third and still use those picks on areas that maybe aren't so deep? It's risky and I'm being greedy but just thinking out loud here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
It really seems like this position may run (8?) deep. They obviously have to address it (and possibly get 2 new Safeties) but for me the issue becomes whether the difference between guys like Vaccaro and Elam are that much greater than guys like Swearinger (sp), Cyrprien, Rambo (I have some concerns about), Thomas, Jefferson, McDonald (not high on), Lester (not high on) and a few others.

Obviously if the Rams have Vaccaro or Elam as head and shoulders above the rest then grab one of them in the 1st. However, wouldn't it be nice to be able to grab a quality starting Safety in the 2nd or even early third and still use those picks on areas that maybe aren't so deep? It's risky and I'm being greedy but just thinking out loud here.
Whoever they bring in, unless he's a first round pick, is going to have to mix it up with Stewart, McLeod and Daniels. Whoever the best one is, that's who will win the position. I'm still high on Daniels and think he'll eventually become one of our starting safeties. There's no guarantee that Mikell and Dahl are gone either. Maybe Mikell because of his salary, but I don't know how they're going to address that yet. Bottom line is, IMO, there's going to be healthy competition and nobody is being handed anything on this team. Gotz ta earn it.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I would love to have Tony Jefferson on the Rams. He can play SS or FS and can excel at both. He loves contact and to make a big hit. He also has great hips, speed, and coverage skills(was a CB).

He lacks ideal size but the guy is a Stud. Id spend a 2nd on him in a heartbeat.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
libertadrocks said:
I would love to have Tony Jefferson on the Rams. He can play SS or FS and can excel at both. He loves contact and to make a big hit. He also has great hips, speed, and coverage skills(was a CB).

He lacks ideal size but the guy is a Stud. Id spend a 2nd on him in a heartbeat.

Agreed. He is my top rated safety at this point, I think Vaccaro & Reid are good, but they are overrated and I have my concerns about the two of them

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
train

CGI would think he would get cut. Man he is making a lot of cheddar. Getting paid like a all pro safety.

nighttrain

Legend
GreeneCounty said:
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
train

CGI would think he would get cut. Man he is making a lot of cheddar. Getting paid like a all pro safety.
i would think the Rams would want him and SJ to restructure at the very least
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
nighttrain said:
GreeneCounty said:
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
train

i would think the Rams would want him and SJ to restructure at the very least
train

SJ can't restructure. We'd have to extend him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
Yep. Or re-sign him if he voids the contract and comes back after testing the waters.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nighttrain said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
Yep. Or re-sign him if he voids the contract and comes back after testing the waters.

resign him at a lesser amount is what i meant..Restructure Mikell
train
Gotcha. I don't know that Mikell has any motivation to restructure. So that would mean forcing his hand. He's a proud veteran who still played well last year, and I'm sure he thinks he's worth every bit of what he's being paid. His deal was guaranteed through last year. This year he makes a lot more, so the only restructuring (IMO) that he would be open to (since he's still under contract) would be to get cut and test the waters like we did with Atogwe. I don't know of any players who would arbitrarily take less money without first seeing if someone would want to pay him more. I'm not entirely sure either, but I think he'd cause a cap hit if he was released. Not the full amount, but somewhere in the area of $3M. This cap stuff is pretty confusing to me so I only interpret it how I read it. His salary is $6M, but he's going to be a $9M cap hit this year. I just did the math. And it's probably inaccurate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And can someone explain this to me?

IsIjoVK.jpg

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/st.-louis-rams/safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl ... ms/safety/</a>

bluecoconuts

Legend
Base salary, not the actual cap hit. They backloaded his contract, so it's cheaper at first and then jumps later on. That gives him money but keeps the cap hit lower. His cap hit is 4 million, but he'll get 6 million in cash next year, and 7 the next.

nighttrain

Legend
Looks like we have to keep Mikell, and that's not bad, just expensive. Still no reason not to find two Safeties in draft or FA
train

lasvegasrams

Rookie
i watched a lot of SEC football this year and like Reid the best out of the SEC safeties mentioned. Rambo would be a nice steal if he can be a 4th round pick. Elam is not bad, but not as one of our first round picks. I honestly would not mind any of them as they ALL are better options than Dahl.