playoffs or bust for the rams in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Reading another thread about 9ers and seafags success after a few years under their new coaches made me think about the direction of the rams.

Snead and fisher have done a great job rebuilding the team from scratch. Still some major holes to fill, though.

Rams will most certainly rely on rookies To fill key roles on the OL and secondary. The players drafted will have a tremendous impact on the team.

After saying that, I think its time for this team to take the next step. Playoffs are a must for the rams in 2014 or the season will be considered a bust.

Am I the only one with that belief, playoffs or bust?

No you're not the only one. It's time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Assuming our key players stay healthy, I expect playoffs this year.

And I don't buy the too difficult for us in this division. I think it will actually be harder for the Seahawks and Niners. They'll get everyone's best game, and they have no breaks in the division. If you think our schedule is tough just look at theirs. We have minny and TB, they have saints, Carolina, packers, bears.

Fair to bring that up max, they do have a couple of harder games and that can be an additional break needed to add to my other breaks they will need. It cold happen!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Assuming our key players stay healthy, I expect playoffs this year.

And I don't buy the too difficult for us in this division. I think it will actually be harder for the Seahawks and Niners. They'll get everyone's best game, and they have no breaks in the division. If you think our schedule is tough just look at theirs. We have minny and TB, they have saints, Carolina, packers, bears.
Come on. We shredded the Saints and Bears last season. We play in TB when it really doesn't get any hotter, they each have just two of those four teams you mentioned, no three road game stretch, Seattle has home field against us to finish the season for the 4th time in 5 years, we have the earliest bye that won't do shit to help us get healthy for the stretch (Seattle's not much better), the whiners get the bye right before playing us, and do either of them have an 8 game stretch like we do? I'm not saying ours is a crap load harder but it is about the most difficult in the NFL all things considered.

Still - teams have to win games - period. I just am not sure I hold to the playoffs or the season is a bust theory when looking at this schedule. We are still extremely young and the way this schedule lays out, it will be extremely impressive IMO if we were to make the playoffs.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I realize you're not asking me but here goes. The next two games were winnable with our starter in at QB. We lost by five to Seattle. Win that game and what does it do to your confidence going forward? We lost by 10 to the Whiners a couple games after that stretch. With the way Sam was playing vs the way KC was playing, there was potentially anywhere from a 2 - 4 game swing IMO.

No one was comparing anyone to Sam. But when you lose your starting QB, there is a drop off - and there was a drop off. Unfortunately, IMO, one of the biggest drop offs was the all too important continuity for our young receivers - Quick being potentially the most affected.

I realize you don't think much of Sam but no doubt would like to see him fulfill expectations of a #1 overall. Unfortunately, for a myriad of reasons, that hasn't happened. Hopefully, we get a full season with some continuity to see if Sam can be that guy. I still think he can. And if a few things fall into place, that could mean we even supplant the top teams in our division.

That was extremely well written and very fair. I really, really try to be fair in my assessment of Bradford. It's tough though.

I think it's just fatigue; the fatigue of losing and the fatigue of there always being a reason that seemingly explains away another season where Bradford disappoints.

It's TIME to make the playoffs.

Go Rams!

Muleman

UDFA
That was extremely well written and very fair. I really, really try to be fair in my assessment of Bradford. It's tough though.

I think it's just fatigue; the fatigue of losing and the fatigue of there always being a reason that seemingly explains away another season where Bradford disappoints.

Go Rams!
Winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing. I think this is for most players not just Bradford. Let's see what happens when things go our way for a change.
Not trying to make excuses for Bradford, but geeze, he has been dealt some crappy hands.
I for one, feel we have turned the corner, don't know if it means a playoff birth or not. But I'm much more positive about our team now than I have been in years.
If we don't make the playoffs but I see a positive trend upward, then I think I will be okay, not sure I will then, guess we shall see though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
we really going to fire snisher if they don't meet expectations? really? no way? how much money are people willing to wager?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
we really going to fire snisher if they don't meet expectations? really? no way? how much money are people willing to wager?

If we have another .500 season, and Bradford disappoints again, and we don't have a plan in place for a heir apparent, then yes, ownership would have to look at making drastic changes - again. Maybe Fischer would still be in place. But they'd have to bring in a more autonomous GM, one who doesn't cave into drafting Fischer's favorites.

People talk about Bradford. But I think this season is much bigger than Bradford.

Anyway, let's hope it doesn't come to any of that.

If we draft conservatively, play Marty-ball, play sound defense, get a 60% completion rate out of Bradford and win 2-3 tough games (where we're initially down and can't solely rely on our pass rush) we can make the playoffs - circa the Jets of a few years ago.

We can do it!!! :D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If we have another .500 season, and Bradford disappoints again, and we don't have a plan in place for a heir apparent, then yes, ownership would have to look at making drastic changes - again. Maybe Fischer would still be in place. But they'd have to bring in a more autonomous GM, one who doesn't cave into drafting Fischer's favorites.

People talk about Bradford. But I think this season is much bigger than Bradford.

Anyway, let's hope it doesn't come to any of that.

If we draft conservatively, play Marty-ball, play sound defense, get a 60% completion rate out of Bradford and win 2-3 tough games (where we're initially down and can't solely rely on our pass rush) we can make the playoffs - circa the Jets of a few years ago.

We can do it!!! :D

Snead has not yet been conservative on draft day. I don't think he ever will be either.

BS doesn't play Marty-Ball.

So you're gonna be let down because those two things aint gonna happen LOL.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Did someone say "BUST?" :shades:

3326959627_58901e38b0_o.jpg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Snead has not yet been conservative on draft day. I don't think he ever will be either.

BS doesn't play Marty-Ball.

So you're gonna be let down because those two things aint gonna happen LOL.

Okay so you didn't like the picture I painted. So, in your opinion, under what scenario do we make the playoffs? What's going to take us from 8-8 to 10-6 (or better)?

laramsoriginal

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every years is playoffs or bust.

agree but the organization realistically did not expect playoffs last year or in 2012. To my original point, will the rams organization make changes to staff if the rams miss the playoffs. Will Fisher be placed on the proverbial hot seat?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Go Rams!

Appreciate that man.

I think we all have lack of playoff fatigue. I have a hard time pinning that on Sam. I personally think we have underachieved in so many ways before he got here and since that it is actually mind boggling that anyone could really pin it on a player (not saying you are). We are finally putting some pieces together. We even have some depth at positions. Now - IMO - if we can finally give him some time to throw, I think he does great. It's just my opinion but damn! I can't see any QB having even a decent first four years if this is what they were to deal with. Sam is smart, he's a competitor, he is big, accurate and strong. If I really saw a better scenario, I would say - go for it.

I have been a Ram fan for some 46 years. There's not a QB that ever played the game that is bigger than my team. I have repeatedly said that the Rams need to draft a QB this season. And early would not disappoint me. That's not because I don't believe in Sam. It's because we have to look at how best to build and maintain a winner. If Sam does indeed prove to be injury prone (which I personally don't buy into) then we need someone better than some other team's cast-off with which to replace him. If he stays healthy and comes into his own, that QB is at minimum great trade bait.

All in all, I think we are poised to take over the division. Is it this season? I dunno. I expect that we will at minimum be in the thick of things. I see our chances being better with Sam than the latest flavor of the year.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

What's your secret for not getting caught up in crazy expectations for your favorite team? I'm only half serious. I just don't think I could get involved if I didn't have (extremely) high expectations. In fact, its the reason I like football; the relative parody give you the illusion that you team could some how figure out how to put together a dream season.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Appreciate that man.

I think we all have lack of playoff fatigue. I have a hard time pinning that on Sam. I personally think we have underachieved in so many ways before he got here and since that it is actually mind boggling that anyone could really pin it on a player (not saying you are). We are finally putting some pieces together. We even have some depth at positions. Now - IMO - if we can finally give him some time to throw, I think he does great. It's just my opinion but damn! I can't see any QB having even a decent first four years if this is what they were to deal with. Sam is smart, he's a competitor, he is big, accurate and strong. If I really saw a better scenario, I would say - go for it.

I have been a Ram fan for some 46 years. There's not a QB that ever played the game that is bigger than my team. I have repeatedly said that the Rams need to draft a QB this season. And early would not disappoint me. That's not because I don't believe in Sam. It's because we have to look at how best to build and maintain a winner. If Sam does indeed prove to be injury prone (which I personally don't buy into) then we need someone better than some other team's cast-off with which to replace him. If he stays healthy and comes into his own, that QB is at minimum great trade bait.

All in all, I think we are poised to take over the division. Is it this season? I dunno. I expect that we will at minimum be in the thick of things. I see our chances being better with Sam than the latest flavor of the year.

We're on the same page. We both know that their are two factors (not just one) to what kind of year Sam will have; health and "coming into his own". The second factor is hard to define because it is dependent on things outside of his control - players, scheme, etc. But, there is an element of "coming into his own" that Bradford can control. To me it's simple; is he effective at throwing the ball down the field on 3rd down? It would sure help him to have an all-world WR... Anyway, time will tell.

The reason Bradford get's so much criticism is because he's the only person in the Rams organization that's been around for the last however many years. This logic, of course, negates extenuating circumstances. It's a mental shortcut. It's lazy. I agree. But, it persists.

The problem is that the expectations are so high on the team and on Bradford. In our division we are seeing rookie QB's win games. It's not because of them. But they are having a net positive role on the outcome of games. It's not because they are great QB's. It's because they are making 1 or 2 plays which change the game in favor of their teams - whether on the ground or through the air.

My personal opinion is that once they start paying Kap and Wilson, and have to more fairly distribute their salary caps, they will no long be dominant teams. That means that SF's window is closing and Seattle still has another year. BUT we cannot use this as an excuse!

I've also been a Rams fans since I can remember and agree with the sentiment that no player is bigger than the team.

I also agree that Sam is more valuable to us as the day 1 starter than he is to us in any other capacity. And when that happens we need to see him "come into his own." Otherwise it's going to be another tough season for us.

Do I expect the team to make the playoffs? YES. Will I be massively disappointed if they don't? YES.

Is any of this healthy? NOOOOOOOO! :D

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
agree but the organization realistically did not expect playoffs last year or in 2012. To my original point, will the rams organization make changes to staff if the rams miss the playoffs. Will Fisher be placed on the proverbial hot seat?

See post #28 of this tread. In short, yes. Coaches, regardless of how nice their facial hair is, have 3-4 years to make the playoffs. I would say that Fisher has 4. And Snead has 3. Although who knows. Maybe our current owner understands the importance of organizational integrity and will give these guys some time. Maybe our new owner looks at extenuating circumstances. But... I do know this; if we don't make the players this year there is ZERO chance Bradford is back next year. So in that sense there is a lot of pressure on Snisher to make sure Bradford is successful. No one want to start over at the QB position. BUT they have to have a contingency plan.

So to answer your question; if we don't make the playoffs this year and we continue to get an aggregate ~38 QBR out of the QB position and we don't have a contingency plan in place, then yes, Snead is gone and Fisher would then report to a new GM who would have to determine Fisher's future.

We, the Rams, have a lot of confidence going into this season. We believe in Fisher. We believe in our defense. We are excited to see what our offense will become when it forms its identity. We will add key pieces and depth to our roster through the draft. There is NO VALID REASON we cannot make the playoffs.

We make our own "luck" in life. (There is no such thing as reoccurring, freak injuries.)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Nice. That must have given you a strong sense of reality. I would love to read your projections of our upcoming season when it's closer to game day.

While I can sympathize with your misery over being a West Ham fan the NFL is different b/c of the salary cap. So in theory the Rams should have a shot at winning every year. IF the team is managed properly.