playoffs or bust for the rams in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Reading another thread about 9ers and seafags success after a few years under their new coaches made me think about the direction of the rams.

Snead and fisher have done a great job rebuilding the team from scratch. Still some major holes to fill, though.

Rams will most certainly rely on rookies To fill key roles on the OL and secondary. The players drafted will have a tremendous impact on the team.

After saying that, I think its time for this team to take the next step. Playoffs are a must for the rams in 2014 or the season will be considered a bust.

Am I the only one with that belief, playoffs or bust?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Reading another thread about 9ers and seafags success after a few years under their new coaches made me think about the direction of the rams.

Snead and fisher have done a great job rebuilding the team from scratch. Still some major holes to fill, though.

Rams will most certainly rely on rookies To fill key roles on the OL and secondary. The players drafted will have a tremendous impact on the team.

After saying that, I think its time for this team to take the next step. Playoffs are a must for the rams in 2014 or the season will be considered a bust.

Yeah, it's time. Fisher is a year behind Harbaugh and two behind Carroll in terms of when the rebuild started, so this should be the year we advance to the next stage.

iced

Not in exact same words but I believe this is pretty much how whole Ram's park feels - I know I've heard Snead say something along those lines....playoffs or the season is pretty much a disappointment

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It'll take 10 wins to get in the playoffs. In this division and with the schedule the Rams have that will be a feat. I'm not saying it cannot be done but it's going to be hard to do for sure and I don't know if it will happen. It's going to take a few breaks and a big time lack of injury problems for sure. It can happen but a lot of things have to go the Rams way.

They will need.......

.......to be injury free or as close as possible of course. So lets say as injury free as possible.

.......to win the turnoiver battle overall by a significant margin, and in key games within the division and in the hard matchups. They can't give away games, they will have to take a couple away in order to get to 10 wins.

.......to be more creative on offense, this year BS should be able to deploy the weapons to a higher degree than last year with a healthy Bradford.

That'll get them 10 wins. Otherwise it'll be 8, maybe 9 and no playoffs.

SierraRam

Recreational User
They'll still have a young secondary, maybe two new starters on the OL, and a very tough schedule and division to contend with.

They'll also have an abundance of young talent & a ferocious D.

The key is Fish's ability to get our guys to believe they can do it now. Can't wait. GO RAMS!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Our division is very tough, I will agree. But, who is to say that one of the other teams wont nosedive this year? I'm looking at the 49ers, coach and the front office having disagreements, a rapist QB, players getting in trouble, etc.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Every years is playoffs or bust.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They'll still have a young secondary, maybe two new starters on the OL, and a very tough schedule and division to contend with.

They'll also have an abundance of young talent & a ferocious D.

The key is Fish's ability to get our guys to believe they can do it now. Can't wait. GO RAMS!

I think this team does believe in it's potential and ability. I'd like to frame it this way.

Take the starting QB away from the Eagles, Packers, Saints, 49ers, Seahawks, and Panthers from week 7 on.......then give each of them a schedule like the Rams. How many of those teams win even 10 games? Or 9 games? Look at what happened to the Packers without Rodgers! In a weak division, the weakest in the NFL, they go 8-7-1.

What I am saying is that I think last year gave this roster tremendous confidence in itself and a lot of faith in the coaching staff. But that's not enough they need a few things to break their way, all playoff teams do IMO.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think this team does believe in it's potential and ability. I'd like to frame it this way.

Take the starting QB away from the Eagles, Packers, Saints, 49ers, Seahawks, and Panthers from week 7 on.......then give each of them a schedule like the Rams. How many of those teams win even 10 games? Or 9 games? Look at what happened to the Packers without Rodgers! In a weak division, the weakest in the NFL, they go 8-7-1.

What I am saying is that I think last year gave this roster tremendous confidence in itself and a lot of faith in the coaching staff. But that's not enough they need a few things to break their way, all playoff teams do IMO.

You can't compare Bradford to Rodgers. The rest of your point - that our guys should have faith in the coaching staff - makes sense.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Yeah - you're right about the games at the end of last year. I've previously posted my beliefs about what other pampered teams (Patriots) would have done with our schedule last year.

Maybe I should have said, "Fish needs to KEEP our guys believing..." Go Rams

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You can't compare Bradford to Rodgers. The rest of your point - that our guys should have faith in the coaching staff - makes sense.

I wasn't trying to compare Bradford and Rodgers. My point was that even in that shitty division they only won 8 with their backup, and he played fewer games than Clemens did.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I wasn't trying to compare Bradford and Rodgers. My point was that even in that crappy division they only won 8 with their backup, and he played fewer games than Clemens did.

Okay. How much of a drop off, in terms of W-L, was Clemens? One game or more? In your opinion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay. How much of a drop off, in terms of W-L, was Clemens? One game or more? In your opinion.
I realize you're not asking me but here goes. The next two games were winnable with our starter in at QB. We lost by five to Seattle. Win that game and what does it do to your confidence going forward? We lost by 10 to the Whiners a couple games after that stretch. With the way Sam was playing vs the way KC was playing, there was potentially anywhere from a 2 - 4 game swing IMO.

No one was comparing anyone to Sam. But when you lose your starting QB, there is a drop off - and there was a drop off. Unfortunately, IMO, one of the biggest drop offs was the all too important continuity for our young receivers - Quick being potentially the most affected.

I realize you don't think much of Sam but no doubt would like to see him fulfill expectations of a #1 overall. Unfortunately, for a myriad of reasons, that hasn't happened. Hopefully, we get a full season with some continuity to see if Sam can be that guy. I still think he can. And if a few things fall into place, that could mean we even supplant the top teams in our division.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

2 games IMO. Maybe 3.

Remember there were some games where Clemens gave us about the same production Bradford did in some games. So I can't go more than 3 games and that is about the limit. It's possible they could have won 3 more but not probable. That's more because of the fact that the Rams were outmatched most of the last 10 games versus me thinking Bradford is only a little better than Clemens.

jap

Legend
It's possible the Horns could have made the playoffs or at least come very close with a winning record last season had Sam not gone down. Looked at that way, The Fisher King may well be ahead of schedule.
In any regard, Snisher wants at least two Pro Bowlers in this draft; so expect the Round One picks to be carefully well researched and selected. There may not be too much monkeying around with the #2 overall pick, but they may move forwards or backwards with the #13 pick to grab whoever they have targeted there.

scifiman

I think some consideration has to go into what division we are in. That being said, I also think that Snead thinking this and saying this is a good thing. You should always be striving for a championship. You have to instill that attitude into your team so that they believe they can compete and go all the way.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our division is very tough, I will agree. But, who is to say that one of the other teams wont nosedive this year? I'm looking at the 49ers, coach and the front office having disagreements, a rapist QB, players getting in trouble, etc.

i believe the direct opposite is true. i think the story was he buttered up the woman and got her naked then left the room and never came back. that's when she flipped out. he was a pussy tease.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Assuming our key players stay healthy, I expect playoffs this year.

And I don't buy the too difficult for us in this division. I think it will actually be harder for the Seahawks and Niners. They'll get everyone's best game, and they have no breaks in the division. If you think our schedule is tough just look at theirs. We have minny and TB, they have saints, Carolina, packers, bears.