Playoff GDT: Steelers @ Bengals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Would have provided a better dramatic ending, but it was the right call, IMO.

It was not at all the right call. There should have been offsetting penalties on Joey Porter and Jones AT MOST. Porter is not a player. The only reason he can come on the field is to tend to the injured player. He was not doing that. He was instigating a fight with the Bengals players. If what Jones did is a personal foul, Porter should get a personal foul. Even if you argue that he didn't do anything outrageous enough to deserve it, the fact that he was on the field and not tending to the injured player is enough ALONE for a personal foul.

The refs handed Pittsburgh the win on a silver platter.

There is your answer. The refs lost control.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Kind of reminds me of the frustration I felt during the John Robinson years in the 80s and the Chuck Knox years of the 70s.

Those playoff losses hurt.

I'm sort of numb to bad football right now.

But would I rather the Rams get there and lose?

At least once in awhile. I miss playoff football. :(

So classic!
YES!!!!!
For too long now we Ram fans have been denied the privilege of enduring heartbreaking and gut wrenching losses in the playoffs :LOL:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Porter could get fined:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ine-for-saturday-nights-bengals-steelers-game

He should get fined, and maybe suspended. I'm not excusing the Bengals actions, but Porter had no business being out there in the first place. He only came out to instigate. The Bengals were dumb for taking the bait, but that doesn't excuse Porter.

For that matter, Munchak and Tomlinson should both be fined as well -Munchak for his personal foul, and Tomlin for not controlling his staff. Tomlin is a punk who has interfered with on field play in the past, and his assistants are instigators as well. Th NFL shouldn't tolerate that crap.

Athos

Legend

Since when is is legal to spear with your helmet under Goodhells new rules?

The shit calls all over the fucking map regarding this safety shit. It's not pathetic.

Guarantee a Ram would have gotten flagged for it. A Bungals player likely would have too.

Debacled

Starter

Its illegal to make crown of the helmet to helmet contact anywhere on the field, even with a runner, outside of the tackle box. Outside of the tackle box a RB isn't supposed to be able to drop his helmet either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

5) Launches with crown of helmet to facemask knocking him out cold.

Athos

Legend
Sorry, but no.

Seen the helmet used a weapon too many times this season and flagged for it, all over the field, so believe it isn't a penalty, except when it isn't.

Which seems the NFL refs decide when they feel like flagging it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He led with the crown of his helmet. There's specifically a penalty that makes that a personal foul.

Debacled

Starter

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender

"A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul."

There it is spelled out for you, word for word. They don't need precedent or anything like that, this isn't a courtroom and it was a major stressing point 2 years ago. They don't need to line a guy up or anything. Doesn't even matter if they are trying to wrap up. You pop a guy in the mouth with the top of your helmet outside of the tackle box......period (launching not launching anything else doesn't matter) it should be a penalty and a fine. At no point should it be anywhere near excusable or ok to use a helmet as weapon, and that is exactly what it was for Shazier.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I disagree. Porter was allowed on the field due to the injury. He lingered on the field which happens during injury timeouts. But, whether or not his motives were impure, he was right there in front of the referees who saw him get bumped and grabbed. If he hit somebody, that would be a different story.

It was up to the Bengals players to be smart and not give in to their feelings and they did not. They simply didn't have enough brains to not to even respond to him.

large.jpg
Actually no. Coaches and assistance coaches are not allowed on he field. And besides, even if he was, he's a linebacker coach not a WR's coach and wasn't anywhere near the player that was down. Expect the NFL to fine him.

WvuIN02

Starter
Bengals have nobody to blame but themselves and didnt take care of business.

Bengals did not, Steelers did....and there is definitely crossing the line between hard play and what Burfict did. Btw the guys on NFL.com were talking about it and showed some stuff where Burfict was going after Matt Barkley's knees in a game in HIGH SCHOOL, and got called for a million personal fouls in college.

It was a huge part of the reason why he got passed over in the draft despite his talent. Guy is trash, Bengals franchise reaps what they sowed.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/11/nfl-open-letter-players

An Open Letter to Players
Take care of yourselves. Take care of the game. In the wake of the Steelers-Bengals debacle, the future of the sport depends on you
by Peter King

Dear Players,

On Saturday night, the NFL scheduled a major television event for the marquee game of the first playoff weekend. A rivalry game, with intense feelings between players and cities, featuring one of the great franchises in American sports, the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers at the division-champion Bengals was the most anticipated game of the weekend, and the CBS audience proved it.

At the height of the telecast, between 10 and 11 p.m., some 27.5 million people were tuned into the game. The combined TV audience for the other major-network programming at that time was 6.98 million viewers. So, as this game reached its climax, four out of every five major-network viewers were watching the NFL game. It was exactly the magnet the NFL had in mind when they booked this game for prime time.

This is what America—families watching together, fathers, mothers and children, teens, college kids, everyone else along the football spectrum, all important consumers of your game—saw in the last 17 minutes of this game:

• Pittsburgh linebacker Ryan Shazier ramming Cincinnati running back Gio Bernard with the crown of his helmet, something that year after year, practice after practice, players have been trained and warned not to do. For minutes, Bernard lay motionless on the ground.

• Cincinnati running back Jeremy Hill running on the field and trying to fight or somehow challenge four different Steelers while Bernard lay injured.

mmqb-bengals-steelers.jpg

Photo: Joe Robbins/Getty Images

• Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict sacking Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Later, one angle showed Burfict trying to drive a knee into the injured shoulder of Roethlisberger.

• Burfict, leading with his shoulder, ramming defenseless Steelers receiver Antonio Brown in the helmet after an exposed Brown reached for a pass, causing Brown’s body to go limp and his head to jerk uncontrollably, the way an unconscious person’s body would react.

• Steelers linebacker coach Joey Porter in the middle of the field where he shouldn’t have been (assistant coaches are not allowed on the field during the game) jawing with assorted Bengals until Cincinnati’s Adam Jones burst past an official to challenge Porter. This contact with an official caused Jones to be flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, moving Pittsburgh in position for the winning field goal. Porter smiled. One Steeler jumped with glee at the flag. Soon, the Steelers kicked the winner and won 18-16.

This is what the Steelers and Bengals showed 27 million Americans about the great game of professional football. Your game. The game your coaches—from youth ball up to the NFL—have taught you to play fairly.

This was the lesson from the climax of this playoff game: Stop at nothing to win, even if it means concussing the opposition. Taunt your foes. Hit them with the crown of your helmet. Sneak onto the field to induce them into a penalty.

Anything to win the game.

Demean yourselves. Shame your former coaches and your parents. Show them if you win the game, it’s all good. All’s fair in love and football.

If you haven’t noticed, there’s a tornado on the outside of your profession. Parents who grew up loving the game are agonizing about whether they’ll let their children play football. A movie, “Concussion,” is out, and Will Smith plays a doctor warning America about the long-term, inescapable dangers of the sport. Have you seen it? You should. I’ve seen it twice, and I’d go again. You should know what your football ancestors put up with to play the game, and what many of you face if you continue to play.

You know what I was thinking when I watched the disgusting hit of Burfict on Brown? I have no idea what the short-term impact of that hit will be, but I know there’s a good chance the effects will be seen on Brown’s brain when he’s 50 or 60 or 70. Or 40. I wondered why, after the ugly and filthy Odell Beckham Jr. hit on Josh Norman a few weeks ago, when Beckham took a running start and battering-rammed his head into Norman’s head, this keep happening.

mmqb-odell-josh.jpg

Photo: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

It shouldn’t, but it does. It’s shameful, but it continues. It could someday kill the game, but your peers, few though they may be, keep playing this way.

I am writing to issue this plea: Take care of yourselves. Take care of your game.

Late in the season, late in the vital Bengals-Broncos game, Cincinnati’s Reggie Nelson bore down on Denver tight end Owen Daniels as Daniels tried to secure a pass. Nelson could have hit Daniels in the head or knees, but in a split second, he took care to hit Daniels in the upper torso. A very hard hit, but the right hit. I talked to Nelson. One of the things he said to me: “We have to take care of ourselves. We’re one big family out there on the field.”

Too many times you don’t look like a family. You look like you want to physically harm the men on the other side of the line. That has to end. Forget about today. Think of all the people who look at games like Steelers-Bengals and say it’s a big reason why football is a dinosaur, and our kids should be playing sports with very little contact. More games like this, and Congress will get involved. And I would be happy if Washington does, because games like that one show you’re not capable of looking out for the common good.

I hope you were glad to see the NFL on Monday night suspend Burfict for the first three games of next season. The hit on Brown was part of it. If you didn’t see the bigger reason, you missed Burfict’s incredibly brutal hit on Baltimore rookie Maxx Williams. On the other side of the field, away from the play, Williams went out for a pass and was looking back at the quarterback when Burfict blew up the unsuspecting Williams with a helmet-to-helmet hit that left the Raven prone on the ground.

I urge you to just say no to plays like that, to 17-minute periods of game like Saturday night’s. Take control of your game again.

If you have a chance Friday night, watch a re-airing of the lost tapes of Super Bowl I. A very cool TV show, showing the first Super Bowl, played 49 years ago this month. In the show, you’ll hear legendary coach Vince Lombardi exhort his team to show the country just what a great game football is. “I want you to be proud of your profession,” Lombardi said. “It’s a great profession. You be proud of this game. You can do a great deal for football today, a great deal for all the players in this league and everyone else.”

You can do a great deal for this game too. To start: Keep the game clean. Insist on playing with honor. That won’t matter with Super Bowl 50. It will matter with Super Bowl 100, though. If football’s still being played.

Sincerely,
Peter King

Athos

Legend
This is Goodhells NFL.

Out of control players, coaches, and worst of all, out of control incompetent officials.

I wasn't alive for 70s and 80s ball, but was all this BS happening back then? Celebrating player injury etc?