Playoff experience matters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
Ok let's just say that having been there before can't hurt. I personally believe it helps, to what degree I can't say. Our 99 team was so, off the charts good, and so confident it didn't matter, but in general, I think prior playoff experience helps.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Why do you say Goff? Special teams put us in a 13-0 hole. If he throws a few picks after that and the Rams get blown out like 30-0 than I’d say you are right about the pressure. Instead the kid leads us on 2 scoring drives with some awesome throws before the half to get us right back in the game. If the defense makes a stop on 3rd and long on the first drive of the second half I bet it’s a different game. Goff had a lot of confidence going after the way he finished the first half.
Well we only put up 6 points on one drive, so i wouldn't say 2 scoring drives. Goff also threw two deep passes short to where the receivers had to slow down which let the defenders make a play on the ball, he threw a few passes behind Gurley and Kupp, he didn't scan the field on quite a few plays and waited until the intended receiver got open, etc. He did have a couple good drives, but he seemed nervous at times. The defense did their job and held both those turnovers to a total of 6 points. If we did our job on offense we should have been able to get out of that situation.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
yeah my man you cited 4 teams as not having experience.. one of them you cited even won the super bowl the year before.

Who the Giants? Yeah, the 2007 team that won the Super Bowl in CY 2008. That was me messing up the years.

Now you are trying to make some bizarre argument about what constitutes experience.

No I was making an analogy. Just because a team has played in a WC game the year before doesn't mean they suddenly have gained the ability to not be one and done the following year.

I understand your opinion - but its lacking evidence. I also never said directly made some excuse that the rams lost just because of inexperience.

Do you? Again I gave you teams that support my stance, most notably Atlanta. A four year gap is huge in player turnover and last year's group went all the way to the SB with only 3 players that been in the postseason before.

I just did some research and found that overwhelmingly teams that win in the playoffs have previous playoff experience.

Me too, and plenty of teams with none have won before and vice versa. It's a football game. I'll get nerves in the first quarter, but after...execute football. You could have a player with a decade in the league and a single missed tackle or dropped passed could equate a loss.

I know the players. All of these guys played well last night, with the exception of GE. Hell these guys were a big positive last night. DST didn't play like they can.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
There are few that have won without experience.. but way more have won with.
I have to agree.
Most teams that go to the Big Dance have been close, but failed prior.
Experience helps, however I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a determining factor.
We can even include Luck as a factor as well, in determining who moves on as who goes home.
To win 3 or 4 games in a row against playoff caliber talent is a very tall task.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yes yes so one game with two not very good teams proves me wrong.

Honestly the chiefs are a good example of how being in the playoffs doesn't always helps - but they are more of an outlier than the norm.

Well Andy Reid has been known for biffing it in the playoffs. He's been to one SB but they didn't look good in that game. I think his teams do this because of coaching. Last night it was pretty obvious we played tight. Take the first Seattle game vs the second. Yes they had the some starters out. But that was the same team that beat the Eagles a couple of weeks before. You could tell in the second game the Rams knew what they had to do and most importantly they played loose.
In last night's game , they looked tight and over cautious. I'll take the advice of most players that have been in the playoffs and say experience matters over the angry fan any day of the week.

Angry Ram

In last night's game , they looked tight and over cautious. I'll take the advice of most players that have been in the playoffs and say experience matters over the angry fan any day of the week.

Thanks for the shot.

While I'm watching that inexperienced Saints team that have 4 players from their last playoff team handing it to the Panthers.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Thanks for the shot.

While I'm watching that inexperienced Saints team that have 4 players from their last playoff team handing it to the Panthers.

Haha actually no shot at you at all.

Umm only 4 players have playoff experience on that team? You sure about that ??? Lol
And I'm pretty sure their entire coaching staff has playoff and Superbowl experience. That's enough on its own.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Have to disagree. I hink experience is very helpful but to suggest the only way to get it is by losing and learning is ludacris!

I full heartedly agree we do have the 99 GSOT in our heads and keep that as expectations which should be farthest from them. It was a unique team, once in a lifetime that changed the ways the game is played. When people compare this team to that i just shake my head. Might be similar but wasn't in the same city not to mention block yet.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think Coopers mistake (s) were because he was not in the playoffs before. That put the Rams behind the score and time of possession. The Brockers injury hurt the Rams who lack depth. I think the Rams could have won the game had they not had the turnovers. I can buy that experience helps teams but, it's not an excuse for losing to a very good team.

Some guys get tight or nervous. Starting out bad seemed to make Cooper worse. The first mistake wasn't his but he was rattled after that. They say it about QBs too. Get a couple easy passes to start the game. Get them comfortable so they start feeling like it is just another game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Having playoff experience with veteran players is better than no playoff experience with the youngest team in the league.

Angry Ram

Haha actually no shot at you at all.

200.gif

Umm only 4 players have playoff experience on that team? You sure about that ??? Lol
And I'm pretty sure their entire coaching staff has playoff and Superbowl experience. That's enough on its own.

If not 4, it's not much of a difference. Drew Brees, Mark Ingram, Cam Jordan, Kenny Vaccaro back in 2013 are playing today (with the exception of Kenny who is on IR).

Two vastly different coaching staffs as well. Sean Peyton and Joe Lombardi (QB coach). OC/DC and assistants all new currently.

I mean, Wade Phillips is a Super Bowl champ and it was his unit that was most disappointing yesterday in the 2nd half. Then there's also Matt LaFleur, Greg Olson,

Not blaming any of these guys, but it just shows how much of a non-factor experience can be if you just execute.

Angry Ram

IMO inexperience didn't lose that game....although Cooper's turnovers really killed our offensive opportunities.

I will say for such an inexperienced team, the D really limited the damage in holding the uber experienced Falcons to FGs. Second half though not so much.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Have to disagree. I hink experience is very helpful but to suggest the only way to get it is by losing and learning is ludacris!

I full heartedly agree we do have the 99 GSOT in our heads and keep that as expectations which should be farthest from them. It was a unique team, once in a lifetime that changed the ways the game is played. When people compare this team to that i just shake my head. Might be similar but wasn't in the same city not to mention block yet.

Agreed GSOT was ground breaking. I wouldn't say
200.gif

If not 4, it's not much of a difference. Drew Brees, Mark Ingram, Cam Jordan, Kenny Vaccaro back in 2013 are playing today (with the exception of Kenny who is on IR).

Two vastly different coaching staffs as well. Sean Peyton and Joe Lombardi (QB coach). OC/DC and assistants all new currently.

I mean, Wade Phillips is a Super Bowl champ and it was his unit that was most disappointing yesterday in the 2nd half. Then there's also Matt LaFleur, Greg Olson,

Not blaming any of these guys, but it just shows how much of a non-factor experience can be if you just execute.

Well you realize that the Rams defense was on the field for most of the first half tho right ? They almost put in as many minutes in the first half as they do in an entire game. They were gassed and it showed.
Saints have about 10 players that have been in playoff games. Mostly FAs from other teams. Tedd Ginn etc etc.
Brees is the big one, he's the oil that helps that machine run. Goff is an essential rookie because last year was a Mulligan Imo.

If you rewatch the game take a look at how we were playing. Look at the body language and how it looked like our defense hit that adrenaline wall that inexperienced players get in big games.
Reason why I bring that factor up is because I've completed and coached at the highest levels for a different sport and I see it all the time. And that's exactly what happened

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The saints have a coach and a qb that have won a super bowl.. .and 10 or so players that have playoff experience.

Angry, boss your opinion comes from a good place - but your concept of what experienced is doesn't calculate.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In another thread I mentioned this - only 3 coaches in 50 plus years that were rookie coaches won a superbowl.

No rookie QB has ever one a Superbowl... i think 3 second qbs in 50 plus seasons.

In the last 17 years only 2 teams have won super bowls without previous playoff experience.
ZERO in the last 15 years.

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
I think the Rams will gain from this experience. Not just the players but coach Mcvay as well.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
If X amount of players who have actually played the game and been to the playoffs say experience matters, i think its a bit silly for us to argue the matter.