Playing not to lose

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Panthers kicked the daylights out of Seattle in the first half and then went in to a scenario we Rams fans are familiar with, playing not to lose.

Do they get grilled like Fisher and the Rams did earlier this season or was that the smart thing to do?

Were they playing scared or just smart?

I think it was the right way to go but I think they let the shehawks get too close. Maybe a solid drive to start the second half for a few more points and maybe that was the plan and they could not get it done?

Maybe the NFL and marketing needed them to let the game get closer for ratings?

Glad they won but was it too soft int he second half?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not gonna fault them because they won and their key players did not get hurt with them nursing that big lead, and that is all that matters. But I know what you mean, coaches have been doing that for a long time man.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Panthers kicked the daylights out of Seattle in the first half and then went in to a scenario we Rams fans are familiar with, playing not to lose.

Do they get grilled like Fisher and the Rams did earlier this season or was that the smart thing to do?

Were they playing scared or just smart?

I think it was the right way to go but I think they let the shehawks get too close. Maybe a solid drive to start the second half for a few more points and maybe that was the plan and they could not get it done?

Maybe the NFL and marketing needed them to let the game get closer for ratings?

Glad they won but was it too soft int he second half?
Thought the same things. I think they should have gone for it a little longer but I'm just a fan. I get what they did and I might have done the same in order to preserve the lead but it kinda sucks from a fan standpoint.

I'm sure many Panther fans will be vocal on not liking the strategy much like what we have here. But I will tell you one thing. If we ever get the chance to go up big on the patsies and we let them back in the game rather than pound their dicks into the dirt, I will be VERY vocal about it.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
And here I thought Fisherball was done for the year.If you have someone on the ropes you have to go for the throat.A killer instinct is something Fisher has none of not even a little.Every time I see a prevent defence or straight running up the middle plays it makes me cringe.In my eyes your teaching or telling the players its ok not to 100% and that's just bad football.

TexasRam

Legend
There is a big difference between safe mode up 10 pts (Fisher) at the half and safe mode up 31 pts (Rivera) at half.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
There is a big difference between safe mode up 10 pts (Fisher) at the half and safe mode up 31 pts (Rivera) at half.

You have a point there, although the difference between us and the Panthers is Todd Gurley and Jonathan Stewart. A good halfback along with a respectable O-line will eat the clock faster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If we ever get the chance to go up big on the patsies and we let them back in the game rather than pound their dicks into the dirt, I will be VERY vocal about it.
Ditto's Bro!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Where did you get 10 points from? Fisher plays that way with a 3 point lead or even with poipnts tied. Sometimes even a score down.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How so? I don't see it and I am willing to bet you cannot give an example of Fisher playing it safe with a 10 point lead to start the second half.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How so? I don't see it and I am willing to bet you cannot give an example of Fisher playing it safe with a 10 point lead to start the second half.

I bet he can. I'm sure there are examples of Fisher playing it safe with a 7 point lead in the 3rd quarter. When I ran the numbers, I believe we were #1 or #2 in percentage of running plays called in the NFL in the 2nd half with a 7+ point lead since 2012.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet he can. I'm sure there are examples of Fisher playing it safe with a 7 point lead in the 3rd quarter. When I ran the numbers, I believe we were #1 or #2 in percentage of running plays called in the NFL in the 2nd half with a 7+ point lead since 2012.
Running the ball with the offense they have is not the same as a team has a better passing attack. The Rams offense was based on running the ball so much so that TA was even running it up the middle and all the complaints that happened with the same plays last year were no where to be seen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Running the ball with the offense they have is not the same as a team has a better passing attack. The Rams offense was based on running the ball so much so that TA was even running it up the middle and all the complaints that happened with the same plays last year were no where to be seen.

It is when we go from a fairly even split to running the ball around 70% of the time.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The Panthers should have been glad Pete brain-locked in the first half. If he kicks a FG when he wasted a 4th down try from inside the 20 (in the first half), their last drive could tie the game w/ a TD. Good old Pete. Can recruit and rah rah guys into effort.....but can't strategize for shit.........

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You can blame the Panther's conservative coaching but it had quite a lot to do with the halftime adjustments the Seahawks made. That lead had a lot to do with silly mistakes by the Seahawks and the momentum the Panthers had. There was never going to be second half to match the first half no matter what coaching approach was taken because Seattle was beating themselves.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The Panthers should have been glad Pete brain-locked in the first half. If he kicks a FG when he wasted a 4th down try from inside the 20 (in the first half), their last drive could tie the game w/ a TD. Good old Pete. Can recruit and rah rah guys into effort.....but can't strategize for crap.........

And the successful fake punt followed by a punt 4 plays later. I love it when that dickweed tries to do something Fisher pulled on his team. Remember their version of the mountaineer play, sherman didnt score because they didnt fake out the punt coverage team.