Players to move on from...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
In a hard cap, even a couple of hundred thou is a big deal.

Bit bigger than the money is the roster spot. Next year, when they trim down to 53, someone good is going to get cut. I don't see Snisher opting for year 3 of Pead over the 53rd best Ram.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Mentioned this in another thread last week but I really like Harvey Dahl - think he's been our most consistent lineman over a period where theres been a lot of change around him. Plays tough and aggressive and rarely gets hurt. I wouldn't let him go. And I like the way Chris Williams is playing. Looks more and more like he was miscast as a tackle and as he learns the position he should only get better - he's still young as well. And Barksdale!? Wow. Looks like the penny might have dropped with him so I'd definitely say let the glass man Saffold go. I hope it works out for him somewhere else but he just couldn't stay healthy enough for us.

If Pead gets cut I just get a bad feeling that he'd go on and be a star for someone else in short order. He might be one of these guys that is weak mentally and needs to be told how good he is/how everyone loves him all the time to play to his best - being 3rd on the depth chart and being beaten out in your rookie year by a 7th round pick must hurt your ego. Strong players would see it as a challenge and want to prove everyone wrong. To be fair, I don't think Peads really had a chance to do this - but he didn't help himself by fumbling it every time he got it last year....

He's obviously got a fair amount of talent - but we need to give him a chance to show it. I think we know what we've got in D-Rich - we're not going to learn too much more about him so why not give Pead some more carries behind Stacy as a change of pace?

Defensively - Finnegan's a liability in coverage if he keeps playing the way he started the year. He looks like he's lost a step. My only hope is that he was playing hurt - or just carrying a little knock that slowed him as step or two and he'll come back from it and play better from now on - but he's not a fine wine. He is not going to get better with age. We are paying him big time money and he's not playing like a big time corner. If he doesn't get back to playing the way he can by the end of this year he's got to be cut or have his contract restructured. See what McGee can do and if he's not going to be the guy long term then perhaps consider using one of the 1st round picks or a 2nd on a premier cornerback to grow and play alongside Tru and Jenkins (who was awesome last night). That's a young secondary with McDonald back there (and likely a safety - possibly HaHa Clinton Dix or someone of his ilk) but it will get better together and be a lockdown playoff calibre defense for the next 7 years plus.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Dahl earned his paycheck yesterday.

True, but w/ reports of his apparent MCL injury and age w/ his contract...who knows. I don't hope it happens, b//c I was a big advocate of signing him. Only consistent lineman the team has had.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I read that Saffold only got 18 snaps compared to 50 something for Barksdale... We'll have to wait to see how the remainder of the season plays out, but it looks pretty telling to me.

My dream scenario is still we draft Matthews and Saffold willingly makes the transition to LG.

iced

I don't think its much of a knee jerk reaction. I'm all about development - but this kid is a running back - his problem isn't the playbook - its his attitude. I don't think the Rams are going to pay this kind of money to a guy that they don't even dress on game day for much longer.

2014: $757,100, 2015: $940,650

apparently you're not all about development if you think it's strictly limited to on the field

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On defense ...I see only one player who is under contract that I would have no issues in releasing CB Finnegan & his 50 million contract. Finnegan would save us 4 mil. Other defensive players who will be UFA's in 2014 like Stewart, Giordano & Spoon will be gone. Dunbar should be retained use the Finnegan $$ to get Dunbar back for a few more yrs.

I can not see the Rams disposing of all but one of the starting OL. Veteran starters (UFA's Saffold & Williams-Wells & Dahl). I would think you would have to keep Wells. That gets you 4 mil there. You would think that RFA OG Shelley Smith is a keeper & will not cost much, would be the main candidate for a starting OG post along with ERFA Barnes, Barrett Jones & Mike Persons.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Who do you think the Rams part ways with this offseason?

Realistically move on from...not "I think it's time to draft Bridgewater and move on from Bradford, because it seems pretty evident that the Rams are considering that for a second.

I think the obvious ones are Witherspoon and Saffold.

After those guys I think it is a safe bet that Chris Williams isn't brought back...Pead might get another camp, but wouldn't surprise me if he is shopped for a late round pick. Another move might be a move of Finnegan somehow.

THoughts?
I agree, well thought out.
We also still need WR help

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
[e="iced, post: 218091, member: 566"]his issues are mental - you don't give up on talent. Still very young and still learning how to be a pro - if we're still seeing the same in year 4, then it's a different story.

I'm not happy about it either - however player development goes farther than just the pro's..you have any idea how I was at 22, let alone in the military? I can tell you when I was 25 and I had some 20-23 year old's that took a bit..others got it immediately.. but knee jerk cutting talent like that isn't going to build any depth[/quote]
I can't remember the last time a running back failed for 2 years only to later be successful. I agree that you have nothing to lose by giving him another camp since his value in a trade is minimal at best.

iced

I can't remember the last time a running back failed for 2 years only to later be successful. I agree that you have nothing to lose by giving him another camp since his value in a trade is minimal at best.

not sure how many years it was for cedric benson but he was longer than 2...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
apparently you're not all about development if you think it's strictly limited to on the field

I don't believe I said it was strictly limited to on the field - but consider what we are looking at here.

This young man came in with a chance to get snaps. He was outplayed in camp and dropped down the depth chart - maybe because Richardson looked good, maybe because he looked bad, maybe a combo of both. The snaps he did see he didn't do much with - although I'll concede that he showed a flash here and there. He then has an entire offseason. He admits that his rookie year was abysmal and comes in "determined" to earn some touches. Instead, he - once again - has worked himself into the dog house. You know the Rams have tried to reach this kid - they invested a number 2 on him - of course they are trying to get through to him. But how long do you really wait?

If they want to let him show up for camp next year - thats fine - little to lose there. But I'll be shocked if he makes the 53 man next year - unless its because he has done a complete 180 his attitude - which is what I think we are all rooting for.