Players starting to grumble about schotty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i don't get why they're not giving Sam a screen to play to check too if he see's blitz, especially those nickle slot blitzes - perfect play to beat the blitz and probably go for 6

moklerman

Warner-phile
If we're lucky, Fisher is just in need of a Vermeil-like intervention. Have an offensive coordinator thrust on him and become more of a delegater and less involved with the play to play activities. Worst case scenario is we've got another Knox 2.0 on our hands.

I'm all for replacing Schottenheimer though. What about Mularkey? I mean, I'd prefer Martz but many don't like that idea so what about someone else? Who's going to replace Schottenheimer? Mularkey has ties to Snead from their Atlanta days I think and although he's been a poor HC, he's had success as an OC. I don't believe he's working(in the NFL) right now.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While I'm not a Schotty fan. He's not the one dropping balls, getting zero separation or getting his ass handed to him on the line. Just how can a 4.9 Safety be plastered to a 4.39 WR on a wheel?

Scheme and play calling is some of it. He's lost on how to isolate players. The concept of pitches and Jet sweeps will open lanes up on the inside. But a simple screen to TA is almost impossible with the Oline jackwagons who can't get loose to block for him. I guess Givens and Pettis have to eat those Lb's and DE's as screen blockers.
Some of this is on Bradford. He's not playing well. But Bradford is the only one who can get a change made.

All a D has to do to flummox the Rams is drop 7 in coverage, bump Cook to disrupt the timing and keep a Safety deep to shut down Givens. Then it's all dink and dunk. All of this is possible because the 4 guys rushing can get to Bradford. When you don't have a run game this is what happens.

I don't see Fisher firing anyone during the season. But he could call the plays himself, have someone else call the plays or just turn it over to Bradford which would be the best solution.

But this goes back to the inability to run the ball. Much of that is on the coaches. Harkey and Kendricks and a FB in a heavy set forces a 9 men in the box which gets room down field.
This is on the coaches. There forgetting that Drich or Pead gets a seam like Gore did their going to the house. It's football 101.

I'd take Martz as a OC anyday.

But none of this gets better till they can run the ball.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
bluecoconuts said:
Not a fan of hearing this to be honest. It's not that I'm a fan of Schotty, he does need to fix this offense, but I don't like that our players are turning against the coaching staff if this is true.

That being said, sometimes players need a different type of coach to let them play their game. I saw it in LA with their HC. The players were obviously not responding too the coach and as a result their play was not nearly as good as the skill on the roster said it should be. They weren't playing their game though, they were a big fast and young team who needed to play an aggressive game and go after the puck, but he had them playing timid and in the defensive zone. Finally the head coach got fired, and they brought in a new guy who told them to stop hanging back and get after it, and that's what they did. Won the Stanley Cup that year and followed it up with a Conference Finals loss.

The team isn't playing their game and I think that they need to get someone who is going to let them play their game. Their game isn't a ground and pound style, and we need an offensive coordinator who is going to let them use their speed to create mismatches. If Schotty can evolve and do that cool, if not then he's not long for this team.

I think they'll still win 6-9 games, that's what I figured, however they're more likely on the low end of that prediction than the high end. If we don't get someone to use our weapons to their ability then I'm just not sure what will happen though.
I agree with you that players sometime need a different type of coach to let them play their game, but why are we all so convinced here that it is the OC who is limiting the offensive players? From everything I see and hear, this is Fisher's doing. Yeah, perhaps Shotty doesn't have the creativity needed, but all I here from Fisher is that we need to run the ball more. If I gotta watch (again) DR slamn into a brick wall between the tackles I'm going to puke.

I alluded to this briefly in an earlier post, but for years I watched Chuck Knox bury this team in ultra conservative play. Now, the team was so talented that they would still win 10-12 regular season games in a 14-game season. But every year we'd get slammed in the playoffs by inferior teams who would play much more aggressively on offense. It was an extremely frustrating experience to know that we had the best, or 2nd best team in the league and couldn't get to the show, year after year.

But then along game a HC who was willing to let the players loose, and to air it out on offense. That coach was Ray Malavasi, and took the Rams to their first ever SB and came within a whisker of beating one of the greatest Steelers teams ever.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Brian Schottenheimer

You'd have gotten more honest answers to your questions, had you asked Gilbert Gottfried instead. What a bunch of (coach speak) crap. The players have become the scape goats for this Head Coach because he won't / can't come out and place the blame where it actually originates from. Fassell- Walton- and Schottenheimer are your reasons. Their are good players on this team. Fisher chose the wrong coaches for this team, and now he has no choice but to run interference for these three.
Deion Sanders said Thursday night that this is a ( pitiful ) offense. He said that the reason both Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford have huge problems, is because they shared something in common. That would be Brian Schottenheimer. Walton was the D-backs coach for the freakin Detroit Lions ! We all know what a top drawer outfit that was. LOL ! Jim Fassel obviously has been a complete and total failure as the special teams coach.
Vince Lombardi said that a ((( GOOD ))) coach, will put is players in a position to succeed every time. Now I ask you ? is that what these Four coaches have done? I say don't blame the players. Blame Jeff Fisher and his refusal to hold these coaches to any kind of accountability.